Best Swedish Center Right Now

Who is the best Swedish center right now?

• Elias Lindholm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Karlsson

• Carl Soderberg

• Calle Jarnkrok

• Marcus Johansson

• Joel Eriksson Ek

• Other

• Total voters

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
No question Zibanejad. Pettersson got outscored by Zibanejad by nearly 10 points and that's with an 11 game gap in favour of Pettersson.

You could always see the talent of Zibanejad in Ottawa.

Mika might have a slight edge right now although he's 27 and Pettersson's 21

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Weird year for Mika. I don't think his numbers are sustainable offensively, but I also think his poor RAPM defensive numbers are likely a one-off given his past results. I also don't think Pettersson is as good as the underlying numbers say he is, and is riding some on-ice shooting percentage luck a bit himself. I think it's closer than the point totals suggest, but I think ultimately Mika's production is too much not to give him an edge right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettersson was better starting next season though.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Backstrom IMO.

Zibanejad definitely had a career year and likely won't reach that level of production again but he's still significatly ahead of the other options. Would have Karlsson there to round out the top 3.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Pettersson or Backstrom

Zibanejad maintaining his 1.7 Goals/P60 at even strength. Yeah right. Guy hasn't been over 1 his entire career.

Pettersson gives you more without giving so much back, same with Backstrom

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Zibanejad's play this season was the fluke that some are stating. He's always shown dominant stretches, but couldn't put it together, usually due to injuries and inconsistency. I think in his absolute prime he's now put it all together.

But I think the answer is Pettersson. The kid is a complete star. One of the best players in the league.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't think Zibanejad's play this season was the fluke that some are stating. He's always shown dominant stretches, but couldn't put it together, usually due to injuries and inconsistency. I think in his absolute prime he's now put it all together.

But I think the answer is Pettersson. The kid is a complete star. One of the best players in the league.
One of the best players in the league who hasn’t put up a PPG yet , you mean

Reactions: EdJovanovski

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Mika is someone that I would take over EP. I think that Mikas defensive acumen is overlooked. He’s actually is a 2-way C rather than a playmaker and/or sniper. He’s the most well-rounded player on that list.

I still went with Backstrom. Backstroms game breaking ability, IQ, and hockey sense are unmatched.

1) Backstrom
2) Mika
3) EP

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
As much as I want to vote Backstrom, if we're going mainly off this season, it has to be Zibanejad. If we're looking beyond this year, it's Backstrom hands down.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll take Pettersson. Zibanejad is likely closer to the 75 point player he was last year, not the 110 point pace player he was this year. Backstrom has also been good since he came in to the league, but he's still a 70-75 point player right now. It's really close right now, but I'll take Pettersson by a bit.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll take Pettersson. Zibanejad is likely closer to the 75 point player he was last year, not the 110 point pace player he was this year. Backstrom has also been good since he came in to the league, but he's still a 70-75 point player right now. It's really close right now, but I'll take Pettersson by a bit.
Backstrom paces for 80 points per season over his entire career. I think he's got at least 2 more point per game seasons in him. And he's truly outstanding defensively. Really great at everything. I just don't think Pettersson is on Backstrom's level yet. Give it another year or two, and things should change.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Backstrom paces for 80 points per season over his entire career. I think he's got at least 2 more point per game seasons in him. And he's truly outstanding defensively. Really great at everything. I just don't think Pettersson is on Backstrom's level yet. Give it another year or two, and things should change.

He's been pacing 73-74 for the past three seasons, he's going to be 33 soon. I don't see it. He's also a much worse goal scorer than the other two, and you start to wonder what his numbers would look like if he wasn't attached at the hip of a guy who's scored 50 for 6 of the last 7 seasons.

I'm not saying he's not a great player, but right now I'd still take Pettersson over him for my team, and that gap is only going to get bigger moving forward.

Reactions: Regal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's been pacing 73-74 for the past three seasons, he's going to be 33 soon. I don't see it. He's also a much worse goal scorer than the other two, and you start to wonder what his numbers would look like if he wasn't attached at the hip of a guy who's scored 50 for 6 of the last 7 seasons.

I'm not saying he's not a great player, but right now I'd still take Pettersson over him for my team, and that gap is only going to get bigger moving forward.

Pretty much.

Backstrom is a good player, but his point totals flatter him. He's the first pass on a great PP that leads to a ton of secondary assists.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It's close right now and maybe Backstrom still but have a feeling Pettersson breaks out for 90 plus points next season I'm taking him. Also with this long layoff before the playoffs begin I'm thinking the young gun finds his legs quicker than the older guys. Expecting Pettersson to put up PPG in playoffs well the play in to start should say.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'fluke' for his season. It was a fantastic season, and he fully earned his result. But it doesn't mean it's repeatable. Sometimes, a player will just have a 'perfect storm' of a season where everything goes right. Look no further than the past 2 art ross winners. Both Drai and Kucherov paced for 127+ points in their seasons, totals unheard of in recent years. Not flukes, because they were great seasons, but the jury is still out on whether those totals are repeatable or not.

I think that's my sense on Zibanejad. He was 26 going into this season, and the most he ever scored was 30 goals and 74 points over 82 games - and did so while going -12 (not the best stat, I agree). Then this year - over 82 games, his pace becomes: 59 goals, 108 points. That's one of the biggest jumps ever, especially so late in a career. If we feel he's going to maintain that 55+ goals 100+ points next year, he's 100% the answer here. But if we expect him to fall back to....~30-35 goals and ~80-85 points - than I'd say it's much more debatable if he's #1 here, or if one of EP or Backstrom might take it (they'd all be close imo).

As much as I want to vote Backstrom, if we're going mainly off this season, it has to be Zibanejad. If we're looking beyond this year, it's Backstrom hands down.

To me questions like these are always about "who do you take for just one year, going into next season". And it's really a hard choice between EP, Backstrom and Zibanejad.

Zibanejad - best season by far. Big gap. But is it repeatable? If it's not - then that makes a huge difference.
EP - sky is the limit for him in terms of ceiling. He hasn't exploded yet - but would anyone be surprised if he reaches 100 points, as early as next year? But - he may also take 2-3 more years to reach such a level, so a bit of a risk
Backstrom - quiet regular seasons 3 years running, but great playoffs on the backend. Experience and consistency - you know exactly what you get. If EP doesn't explode, and if Zibanejad doesn't repeat - i'd pick him #1.

I voted Zibanejed. Cautiously optimistic that even if he won't repeat, he'll come somewhat close and still have the best season.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
A lot of people aren’t answering OP’s question, they’re saying it’s still Backstrom because of his past success, or it’s Pettersson because of his potential.

It’s Zibanejad, because he is the best right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad