Best stickhandling skills in NHL (Schremp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
snafu said:
Schremp was not impressive at the WJC's, and having recently seen him play...I still was not impressed. The kid has potential, he still has time to develop, but he was not as impressive as a couple of his London teammates.

I would not put him anywhere close to the likes of best stickhandlers in the NHL right now...on my list:

1. Lemieux
2. Datsyuk
3. Fedorov
4. About an additional 20 Russian centers.............humor... well, at least some of the guys mentioned here...Bure, Kovalev, Samsonov, etc. (Larionov before he retired)
5. Sakic

Like someone else mentioned, the guys on this list can handle the puck....and produce results. So the jury is out on Schremp, but I don't see him as being of the same caliber as any of the guys above. That's not a criticism though....most NHL'ers aren't of the caliber of the guys on this list.

I'm not sure you're making the right comparison. There's no doubt that at this point (and perhaps for the duration of his career) Schremp isn't the type of impact player like the guys you mention. The issue is his stickhandling skills, and those do match up with some of the best NHLers.

BORAT

Feb 8, 2005
Kazakhstan
Wa Wa Wait a second !!!

Ribeiro not in the same category ???????????????

heck where do I start

the way he ridiculized the Canucks in 2002 - 2003 season, where he jumped over Jovanovski and while still in the air deked Cloutier and scored ?

Or the way he backhanded the puck behind, the net last year, it bounced on the back of the net and came back on his stick and he then bounced it off the goalie as it went in ?

classics. I definetly think Ribeiro is a top tier guy when it comes to stickhandling, and as for a reference, I heard Kypreos say the same thing last year on hockey central and Bill Watters agreed with him.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Sorry to disappoint...

Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not sure you're making the right comparison. There's no doubt that at this point (and perhaps for the duration of his career) Schremp isn't the type of impact player like the guys you mention. The issue is his stickhandling skills, and those do match up with some of the best NHLers.

All I can comment on is what I saw Schremp do in a game. He hardly handled the puck at all- in the sense that he wasn't carrying it in over the blueline, nor was he back behind the net or along the sides to try to set things up. Actually he looked frustrated as the game wore on. Is it the London system, Shcremp himself? I don't know. I only saw him play on Team USA at the WJC's too, and he was "okay" there, not great. Compared to his teammate Perry, he also did not seem as complete a player (e.g., not very good on the opposite end).

I'm not trying to put the kid down, I just did not see anything that reminded me of Datsyuk when it came to stickhandling. The first time I ever saw Datsyuk play...I saw it right away! Small sample size, but the poster did want to hear from people who might have seen Schremp in action.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Chisbenbengood said:
classics. I definetly think Ribeiro is a top tier guy when it comes to stickhandling, and as for a reference, I heard Kypreos say the same thing last year on hockey central and Bill Watters agreed with him.
Definately on the list.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
My top 5 would be:

Mario Lemieux
Vincent Lecavalier
Jaromir Jagr
Markus Naslund
Peter Forsberg

Mentions:
Jason Spezza, Mike Ribiero, Alex Kovalev, Pavel Datsyuk, Miro Satan, Todd Bertuzzi.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Alfie and Hossa are the top Sens stickhandlers, they just dont exhibit as often. Alfies hands are light years ahead of spezzas, having watched them do stickhandling drills together. Alfies stickhandling just isnt on the go, hes smarter to not attack Dmen, where as Spezza gets picked off every other time. Hossa just goes wide, and drags the puck one handed, and has pulled off some of the most impressive moves in close.

Hossa
Alfie
Havlat
Spezza

Not a bad list

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
One guy I haven't seen anyone post on here is Miro Satan, he has some sick moves. Although he doesn't seem to use them as much as some of the others.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
ive seen zherdev a few times and was very very impressed. having seen kovalev on the pens for years, zherdev is on his way to equaling if not surpassing kovalev stickhandling wise. zherdev will be recognized as the best stickhandler in the NHL within the next few years.
Can't say that this would surprise me. He is a ton of fun to watch.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
JNRhockeyGURU said:
tim connolly should get atleast a mention in a threat striclty about stickhandling.
He can handle the stick like top ten in the league, but he can be standing still while doing it... he is a cosmetic stickhandler, handles when he doesn't have to and fails when he needs to stickhandle through an opponent.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Connoly definately ranks in the top 5.

What about Mike Comrie? Or even Roenick, I've been surprised by JR a few times

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Its already been said before, but give Hemsky some room and he'll work magic with the puck.

Also, Mike Comrie has some sick moves...anyone remember the toe drag against Phoenix a few years ago?

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Nobody has mentioned Krisitan Huselius??? He would be my pick.

His hands might have been elsewhere lately, but he is damn good with the stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad