Movies: Best Star trek movie..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It depends on the quality of movie one desires. I found The Wrath of Khan to be most scary (as a young child), The Voyage Home to be the most entertaining, and The Final Frontier to have the most intense plot. I ended up going for the latter.

Honestly the first person I have ever seen say The Final Frontier is the best Star Trek movie.:laugh:

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Wrath is best for me.

But I loved UD, and TMP.

The reboot would have ranked higher for me, if the stupid alternate timeline crap didn't take place. That ruined it for me. Was pretty damn good until that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm guessing you just refuse to acknowledge star trek 5?

No, it's because I don't think Star Trek 5 is that bad. I'd rather watch it than Nemesis, Into Dumbness or Insurrection.

It's been exaggerated over time how "bad" 5 is. When's the last time you watched it? I'm not saying it's good, but it's not terrible. It has a few moments I really like.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
For me, I rank the Star Trek films in groups:

Good:
Undiscovered Country
Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home

Good But Must Be In The Mood For:
The Motion Picture

Mediocre but Watachable:
First Contact
Search For Spock
Final Frontier
Star Trek 2009
Generations

Bad:
Insurrection

A Waste Of Electrical Energy & A Needless Contributor To Global Warming:
Nemesis
Into Darkness

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I've never seen anyone call the plot to Final Frontier Intense. Interesting.

In terms of my rankings:

1) The Undiscovered Country
2) The Voyage Home
3) First Contact
4) The Wrath of Khan
5) Generations
6) Star Trek (09)
7) The Final Frontier
8) The Motion Picture
9) Into Darkness
10) The Search for Spock
11) Insurrection (Even though this might be a little low)
12) Nemesis

Honestly the first person I have ever seen say The Final Frontier is the best Star Trek movie.:laugh:
Perhaps I should have added that I probably would have seen these movies in the late 80s, and am basing my assessment entirely on memory from that time. I was more into Star Wars, but I still liked Star Trek.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Perhaps I should have added that I probably would have seen these movies in the late 80s, and am basing my assessment entirely on memory from that time. I was more into Star Wars, but I still liked Star Trek.

I think it's cool you like FF. I've been trying to defend that movie or at least 15 years. ;)

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
There's two things that keep me from putting Khan at the top of my list, and this is by no means saying its a bad film, just that these two parts make my eyes roll every time.

1.The Reliant crew is too stupid to realize an entire planet is missing from the Ceti Alpha system when they beam down to Khan's planet.

2.Khan's "two dimensional thinking" in space combat. I'm pretty sure everbody on this planet can grasp the concept of moving up and down in addition to forwards, backwards, turn left, and turn right and none of us have been in space.

That said my personal favorite will always be Voyage Home.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Of the Star Trek movies I've watched (1,2, Nemesis, FF, and the reboots) the 2009 reboot is by far the best. I didn't see 2 until after I watched Into Darkness but I found it rather boring as I do with most of the original Star Trek movies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
There's two things that keep me from putting Khan at the top of my list, and this is by no means saying its a bad film, just that these two parts make my eyes roll every time.

1.The Reliant crew is too stupid to realize an entire planet is missing from the Ceti Alpha system when they beam down to Khan's planet.

2.Khan's "two dimensional thinking" in space combat. I'm pretty sure everbody on this planet can grasp the concept of moving up and down in addition to forwards, backwards, turn left, and turn right and none of us have been in space.

That's not a problem inherent to that particular movie. It's one that plagues basically every sci-fi/space production in existence. I distinctly remember watching the TNG finale where they had the future segment where Riker's suped-up Enterprise D decloaks and comes up from below to blow holes in the Klingon ships with its big-ass superphaser cannon thingy. The fact that it didn't meet the ships nose-to nose like it was on the seas was mind-blowing.

The fact that they pointed out the trope in the movie doesn't even help, because immediately after pointing it out, the Enterprise is guilty of doing exactly the same thing (why did they need to rise up dramatically to loom over the Reliant before firing? Surely they could've just tipped the nose of the Enterprise up so that the weapons array was able to hit the other ship without its line-of-sight being obstructed by surrounding saucer section of the ship?)

Of course, pragmatically it's only because a) meeting on a plane makes the old-school pre-CGI practical effects a little easier to manage and shoot and b) For whatever reason people tend to liken capital ship space battles more to naval combat than aerial combat. So you get slow, lumbering 2-D planar combat instead of taking advantage of the fact that there's a Z-axis in space and no external gravity to fuss with.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Of the Star Trek movies I've watched (1,2, Nemesis, FF, and the reboots) the 2009 reboot is by far the best. I didn't see 2 until after I watched Into Darkness but I found it rather boring as I do with most of the original Star Trek movies.

That's because you're looking at the old movies through the lens of the newer ones. Star Trek was never meant to be an action series. It had action, but in service to the drama and slower paced other material.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
The Wrath of Khan is one of my favourite movies of all time, and easily my favourite ST movie.

Followed by:

Star Trek 6:UC

Star Trek 8:FC

Star Trek 4:VH

I have a warm place in my heart for Generations as well. I always get misty when Data finds Spot.

The Reboot/Abrams movies are totally awful.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's not a problem inherent to that particular movie. It's one that plagues basically every sci-fi/space production in existence. I distinctly remember watching the TNG finale where they had the future segment where Riker's suped-up Enterprise D decloaks and comes up from below to blow holes in the Klingon ships with its big-ass superphaser cannon thingy. The fact that it didn't meet the ships nose-to nose like it was on the seas was mind-blowing.

The fact that they pointed out the trope in the movie doesn't even help, because immediately after pointing it out, the Enterprise is guilty of doing exactly the same thing (why did they need to rise up dramatically to loom over the Reliant before firing? Surely they could've just tipped the nose of the Enterprise up so that the weapons array was able to hit the other ship without its line-of-sight being obstructed by surrounding saucer section of the ship?)

Of course, pragmatically it's only because a) meeting on a plane makes the old-school pre-CGI practical effects a little easier to manage and shoot and b) For whatever reason people tend to liken capital ship space battles more to naval combat than aerial combat. So you get slow, lumbering 2-D planar combat instead of taking advantage of the fact that there's a Z-axis in space and no external gravity to fuss with.

Good analysis, but there is also an in-universe reason for why they came up right behind them again. Both ships had barely functioning sensors and view screens, so they could barely see or hit anything from a distance. They needed to get in close behind them so that they could manually shoot at them with the phasers/torpedoes and hit what they wanted.

The entire scene caps off the game of wits that Kirk had been playing since he used Reliant's command codes against them as well. Pretending to be stranded on Regula, pretending the Enterprise was crippled, baiting Khan into chasing him into the nebula, etc.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

The 1st one I agree with you one but maybe they just screwed up there. Maybe they did realize a planet was missing but got the wrong one.

As far as two dimensional thinking. Spock said it very well, he's intelligent but inexperienced.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Good analysis, it just make for better t.v. Otherwise you would have ships underneath each other and upside down or any off angle. That's how it should be but would be difficult for an audience to follow. The only other reason would be to align weapon systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad