Best song of all time?

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Lotta classics. I voted for five (Stairway, Jude, Shelter, Vibrations, Born to Run).

Speaking of classics, an all-time list should have La Habanera from "Carmen":

(I'm not usually this sophisticated (not by a long shot!) but this is timeless)

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Alot of the songs that are always repeatedly reputed to be the best of all time never actually feel that great to me, personally-- stuff like Stairway, Comfortably Numb, Bohemian Rhapsody...... they're solid songs, but they all sound kind of self-serious/self-important, overly rounded/polished, and melodramatic to me rather than legitimately piercing, poignant, infectious, or awe inspiring in any real way. I'm always surprised how how everyone always arrives at those same conclusions so unanimously. Bohemian Rhapsody in particular seems like a very random choice to me.

Seems like self serious/self important and melodramatic would be right up your alley.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not sure what you mean by that.... Was it an insult?
In short, yes.

Dunno why the board's turned so much against you in recent days though. For what it's worth, I agree that overly polished songs kinda lose their authenticity. Also Bohemian Rhapsody is a good, terrible song, would equally belong on a worst songs of all time list.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Lots of songs I like here, but I have to go with All I Need by Radiohead for now.

Quite frankly, there are a couple of songs on that album that ranks all time for me. If I have to choose one from this list........I dunno, seems a bit tough to narrow it down. Going with Wish You Were Here.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
From this list, I'm going with "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, and "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. Although there are a lot of good ones on the list, I'm generally more of an album / EP person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad