Best slow skaters to play in the NHL

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not one mention of Jagr?

Was a bit faster when he was young, but was never really fast, uses his big butt, protects the puck well.

Reactions: Buffaloed

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It could be that what Mike's referring to is traditional skating, and not the specific movements of which goaltenders are required.

I was just surprised that someone named a goalie; wouldn't have even entered my mind. (Tunnel-visioned, I guess.)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Allan Stanley was nicknamed "Snow Shoes" due to his slow speed and awkward gait - likely among the slowest HOF defensemen ever.
Late in his career, yeah, but quotes praising his quickness have been presented in all-time drafts. I hope they can be dug up despite the board's format and related broken links that came with it.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Better traits ought to elicit better results, one would figure. So if his skating was X better, he'd be Y better...but who knows if that manifests into production in the public statistics that are available to us.

Skating for goalies is about precision obviously, not about beating Mike Gartner around the rink...

Players with weaknesses use other attributes to cover them up. Rask's poor skating results in him giving up leverage, especially near the posts...he went full on reverse VH early in his career much to my chagrin...but he has strong shuffle ability, he gets a strong, controlled push in his net and he has telescopic quick legs, some of the quickest legs in the league, in fact.

In just like for skaters...Rod Langway was mentioned earlier...not painting a Picasso out there with his legs, but he compensates with smarts and reach and ruggedness. Undoubtedly, Langway would have been even better if he had the multi-directional skating fluidity of Scott Niedermayer...but, he doesn't, so he's not.

Gretzky came into a tough league at about 160 pounds or whatever...I weigh 160 pounds currently...Gretzky lived for 20 years in that league because of guile to make up for the lack of size...I would be able to play one shift before leaving on a stretcher...that Modano stretcher from when Messier clocked him...

Talent, like most things, exists on a spectrum...and there are effects on the rest of the skills if alterations are made...

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I was just surprised that someone named a goalie; wouldn't have even entered my mind. (Tunnel-visioned, I guess.)
You're not tunnel visioned VMBM, not at all. Less emphasis on skating for goalies based on where and what they can do outside of the crease under the modern rules. They're restricted, like a large dog on a small property with one of those electric fences that gives a shock for straying too far in a confined space. I'd rather see them be free range/ cage free goalies (and fair game depending on the rules) than restricted and prohibited to how they can play. It's no wonder goalies let off some steam in practice by skating pad free and shooting the puck around and it's nice to see them 'away' from the crease, they look happy doing so, too. Free the goalies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That goal was the last goal scored on Roy. Brunette also scored the 1st goal in Nashville history. Brunette I guess used his shot and IQ to his advantage, but yeah he was so slow. Liked the guy in his brief time in Washington.

Fun fact: Brunette actually dressed for one Capitals game. He was still skating towards one end of the rink for the other 62 games he played.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Fun fact: Brunette actually dressed for one Capitals game. He was still skating towards one end of the rink for the other 62 games he played.
Reminds me a little of a cartoon I saw in science class in elementary school. A rock would fall on a dinosaur's tail, the time it took the message to reach the brain and respond accordingly to what happened would take forever, like Brunette getting his skates to move on the ice.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Better traits ought to elicit better results, one would figure. So if his skating was X better, he'd be Y better...but who knows if that manifests into production in the public statistics that are available to us.

Skating for goalies is about precision obviously, not about beating Mike Gartner around the rink...

Players with weaknesses use other attributes to cover them up. Rask's poor skating results in him giving up leverage, especially near the posts...he went full on reverse VH early in his career much to my chagrin...but he has strong shuffle ability, he gets a strong, controlled push in his net and he has telescopic quick legs, some of the quickest legs in the league, in fact.

In just like for skaters...Rod Langway was mentioned earlier...not painting a Picasso out there with his legs, but he compensates with smarts and reach and ruggedness. Undoubtedly, Langway would have been even better if he had the multi-directional skating fluidity of Scott Niedermayer...but, he doesn't, so he's not.

Gretzky came into a tough league at about 160 pounds or whatever...I weigh 160 pounds currently...Gretzky lived for 20 years in that league because of guile to make up for the lack of size...I would be able to play one shift before leaving on a stretcher...that Modano stretcher from when Messier clocked him...

Talent, like most things, exists on a spectrum...and there are effects on the rest of the skills if alterations are made...

Well stated.

For many years, Tarasov’s legendary quote (“There are 3 speeds in hockey: speed of foot, speed of hand, and speed of mind. Of these 3, speed of mind is most important”) guided our evaluation of players. A mule kicker such as Teeder Kennedy from Port Colborne accomplished with his mind so much that we largely ignored his horrible gait and balance. As your post states, there are others who never had Courtnall-esque speed of foot but became exceptional players through guile and hockey IQ.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Recent example would be Derek Stepan. Really slow.

Were the Sedins always slow or did age do that to them? Because man, they were slow the last few years. I seem to remember they were average in their prime/peak though. About Bäckström speed.

I think some mediocre skaters may have gained a worse reputation (historically) because they tend to be remembered according to their last few years when they, no doubt, REALLY slowed down?

Reactions: Canadiens1958

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Gordie Howe 79-80

I saw Gordie in his last season, against the Islanders. Yeah, he didn't move much, just sort of glided to the right spot, and he threatened every opposing player that came within 5 feet of him. You could see that scowl and the mouth going, LOL - as if to say, "you're not allowed to come near me". Being even a bit more reactionary than when he was young I suppose, because of his age? Nobody touched him though.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Terry O'Reilly

Terry said that, as a young player today, he doubts that he could have even MADE IT to the NHL because of his skating. Don't want to change the subject but that's an interesting admission and would weigh in on the eternal argument about how good the old timers would be in the modern game? Bobby Orr also said he wouldn't be able to do HALF the things today that he did in his era.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I watched him when he broke in, he never seemed fast, but maybe he was.

I remember him pretty fast in his young years. Though some might argue it was just an optical illusion conjured by the flowing mullet. He then gained some pounds and did lose a bit of speed. Can't pinpoint when exactly he seemed to have lost a step and a half, but I would date it somewhere around 99. He was never really faaast after that, but I still didn't think he was outright slow until he came back from the KHL.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I remember him pretty fast in his young years. Though some might argue it was just an optical illusion conjured by the flowing mullet. He then gained some pounds and did lose a bit of speed. Can't pinpoint when exactly he seemed to have lost a step and a half, but I would date it somewhere around 99. He was never really faaast after that, but I still didn't think he was outright slow until he came back from the KHL.

That's fair..... and that mullet! haha

I also think he had choppy skating stride, so maybe that also created the illusion.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
That's fair..... and that mullet! haha

I also think he had choppy skating stride, so maybe that also created the illusion.

Here's a couple of shots from the 92 finals where Jags really looks pretty fast. Anyway, that was before turned into 230-pound bear.

Reactions: DanM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad