OT: Best skate sharpening in E-town

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
What are the top 3 places in Edmonton and area for high end skate sharpening? Hard to find a really quality technician who's consistent and really knows their sh**.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Skate Sharpener.jpg

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I've never had a problem at ProSkate or United Cycle.

I was terrified of these things as a kid.

Proskate and UC aren't bad but i feel they're kind of inconsistent and you wind up with very mediocre to poor edges sometimes. might have something to do with them trying to blast through a ton of skates per day.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Proskate and UC aren't bad but i feel they're kind of inconsistent and you wind up with very mediocre to poor edges sometimes. might have something to do with them trying to blast through a ton of skates per day.

I think that is always the problem. The best shops are also the busiest so if you go on a busy day, you might get the odd sharpen that is a little half assed.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think that is always the problem. The best shops are also the busiest so if you go on a busy day, you might get the odd sharpen that is a little half assed.

ya i guess it must be a bit of an art otherwise the whole industry would be automated and eliminate human error. wouldn't think it'd be too hard with the technology today to have a computer analyze the blade profile and have automation autosharpen accordingly. though i think i heard there is an automated machine out there. Sparx or something.

pisani34

Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton
Bladz West and North are awesome, regardless of the hollow you prefer; their attention to detail is amazing.

Wayne is the shop owner at Bladz west, i've been going to him for the past year now and i wont go anywhere else. It's literally only him and his one apprentice there that touch the skates, and its a consistent job every time and you can be as technical/picky as you want with him and he'll listen, explain and do it. Any sharpening done at a big box store (sport chek, PHL, UC) is pretty much at your own risk imo, i had way too many inconsistent sharpenings from places like this to go back. Proskate might be OK, but i seem to still notice they have new staff all the time too. I want the same person every time, and that's what you get going to Wayne.

Isbrant

Jan 3, 2012
I also agree with Wayne. His shop is the only place I get our family skates done. His system for tracking the sharpenings left if you buy a 10 sharpening "card" is really slick too.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I stay away from UC and proskate. very inconsistent sharpenings...any bladz is owner operated and is preferred and they always use a blade edge tool to measure that both edges are equal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Wayne is the shop owner at Bladz west, i've been going to him for the past year now and i wont go anywhere else. It's literally only him and his one apprentice there that touch the skates, and its a consistent job every time and you can be as technical/picky as you want with him and he'll listen, explain and do it. Any sharpening done at a big box store (sport chek, PHL, UC) is pretty much at your own risk imo, i had way too many inconsistent sharpenings from places like this to go back. Proskate might be OK, but i seem to still notice they have new staff all the time too. I want the same person every time, and that's what you get going to Wayne.
Pro Hockey Life might be the worst sports store you'll ever come across as far as service goes. The employees are mostly in the 16-24 range and could care less about someone needing help. You'll stand at the pro shop for 5 minutes before someone even comes up to you and then the sharpening is awful. It's too bad because the store itself is so cool to walk through.

That's my experience at Mayfield location at least, never go to the South side store.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I stay away from UC and proskate. very inconsistent sharpenings...any bladz is owner operated and is preferred and they always use a blade edge tool to measure that both edges are equal.

didn't kinsmen arena use to have a bladz? now i think it's called 111st sharpening or something. not sure if it's the same people with a different name.
yes, people keep saying good things about bladz and this one other shop way north i believe in CAC arena.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Pro Hockey Life might be the worst sports store you'll ever come across as far as service goes. The employees are mostly in the 16-24 range and could care less about someone needing help. You'll stand at the pro shop for 5 minutes before someone even comes up to you and then the sharpening is awful. It's too bad because the store itself is so cool to walk through.

That's my experience at Mayfield location at least, never go to the South side store.

i agree. the south is just as bad sometimes. it's like they try to avoid interacting with you sometimes. almost like a game of hide and go seek. every now and then there'll be a good kid who's very helpful though.

one time i saw several people waiting to ask to try on skates and all the staff were basically in the shooting cage messing around. lol

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

My younger cousin who plays in the WHL still prefers the sharpening that he used to get from Bladz

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
Millwoods sport & Cycle.
I wont let anybody else touch my goal skates.
The guy is very friendly and helpful

I had stripped screws in my goal mask last season and he helped me remove and replace the screws free of charge.

Totem told me to go pound sand and they were too scared to touch the mask.

Dave Chung

Mar 3, 2008
For the Bladz place in the west, do we just pop into callingwood arena during those hours and ask for a sharpen or do you need to book appointment? Do they accept debt/credit or cash only?

Isbrant

Jan 3, 2012
For the Bladz place in the west, do we just pop into callingwood arena during those hours and ask for a sharpen or do you need to book appointment? Do they accept debt/credit or cash only?

Just show up and drop the skates off. His hours are on the door to his shop. He will let you know how long it will take, it depends how many other skates are ahead of you. I paid by debit or credit.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I'm assuming wherever this place is ... Lucic and Strome definitely dont recommend it..

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Sin Bin - Sherwood Park.

I've also never had issues with United Cycle.

I loved this place in Millwoods called Sports Excellence years ago, but I believe it closed down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad