Best shaft& blade combo's

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
my 04 synergy just broke and i need some opinions and info on which shaft/blade are the best
I favor high fast wristers form in close and am very good at deking
also what curve would be best I had a yzerman and it was pretty good

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
my 04 synergy just broke and i need some opinions and info on which shaft/blade are the best
I favor high fast wristers form in close and am very good at deking
also what curve would be best I had a yzerman and it was pretty good

If you want to go into the shaft/blade combo, you might want to check out the tapered shafts. A lot of one piece sticks (like the '04 Synergy) are really tapered shaft/blade permanently bonded together. So in theory, the tapered shaft/blade would provide the same sort of performance while letting you replace the blade.

Only drawback is that there isn't as great a selection for tapered replacement blades. Basically stuck paying $50+ for a composite blade or $25 for a wood blade, no real middle ground.

Each company has a version of a tapered shaft:

Easton: Synthesis, Synergy II
CCM: 10.0
Warrior: Dolomite
Mission: L-2

Bauer had an XV shaft which was discontinued. Louisville has a couple as well.

A standard shaft + composite blade will have similar weight to a one piece, but you may notice less of a kick in your shot. But for a lot of people, the difference is negligible. And standard blades come in greater variety. The "top" shafts from each company:

Easton: Cyclone, Ultra Lite, Z-Bubble
CCM: 8.0, V110, V120
Warrior: AK27
Mission: M-2, Ion

What flex are you using? Not sure if any of us can really recommend sticks, since it's all personal preference and/or experience. Ie, if somebody dropped $150 on a Synergy SL only to have it break 2 weeks later in warmups, they might swear off that stick/brand forever.

JM47 said:
gaborik is now the yzerman curve.

Gaborik was the Yzerman but with a lower lie (6 vs 5.5). Unless I'm mistaken, Easton dropped the Gaborik and went back with the Yzerman last year.

CCM's Thornton curve is an Yzerman clone as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->