Best save in Avs history?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Hey guys,
I got thinking about 'the save' by Grubs in the playoffs and was wondering if there was a better save by an Avalanche goaltender that you can remember given the moment/stakes.

Obviously Roy was the best overall and Craig Anderson might have the best single game performance, but what are some single save moments that stick out for you? All I think about with Patty is his statue of liberty moment

Reactions: obZen and avsfan09

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Gru’s has to be up there. Monumental save.

But yeah there’s a plethora of Roy options as well.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
That one has to be up there for sure.

Natural assumption the best saves were probably Roy saves, but both Varly and Theo got absolutely shelled during their time in Colorado, surely both of them made some memorable stops.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Hey guys,
I got thinking about 'the save' by Grubs in the playoffs and was wondering if there was a better save by an Avalanche goaltender that you can remember given the moment/stakes.

Obviously Roy was the best overall and Craig Anderson might have the best single game performance, but what are some single save moments that stick out for you? All I think about with Patty is his statue of liberty moment

Best part is Keith doesn't even flinch in the stands cause he knows the Flamers weren't winning the series :sarcasm:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
maxresdefault.jpg

Why am I trolling my own board?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, good save by Grubi but definitely not the best. Not sure he even needed to raise the pad there, it's hard to tell. Roy, Aebi, Theo, and Varly all had better saves, and maybe Budaj and Picks as well.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, good save by Grubi but definitely not the best. Not sure he even needed to raise the pad there, it's hard to tell. Roy, Aebi, Theo, and Varly all had better saves, and maybe Budaj and Picks as well.

Uh, he clearly did. Backlund lifted it and it hits the top part of Grubby's pad there. If he didn't elevate it, it would've gone in.

On a side note, wonder if this series keeps Backlund up at night? Between that shot and the Avs' offense completely running him over, I doubt he has fond memories from those games.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Uh, he clearly did. Backlund lifted it and it hits the top part of Grubby's pad there. If he didn't elevate it, it would've gone in.

On a side note, wonder if this series keeps Backlund up at night? Between that shot and the Avs' offense completely running him over, I doubt he has fond memories from those games.

I'm not trying to diminish the save, it was a very good one, but it's not that conclusive. The puck is vertical and hits the pad about 3/4 of the way up. It might have gone over the pad if it was on the ice, or the bottom of the puck might have clipped the pad and not gone over the blue line. It's not that conclusive either way to me. It was a great sequence of saves though.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not trying to diminish the save, it was a very good one, but it's not that conclusive. The puck is vertical and hits the pad about 3/4 of the way up. It might have gone over the pad if it was on the ice, or the bottom of the puck might have clipped the pad and not gone over the blue line. It's not that conclusive either way to me. It was a great sequence of saves though.

Honestly don't see how you can reach that. It looks pretty obvious to me, but whatever.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Honestly don't see how you can reach that. It looks pretty obvious to me, but whatever.

I feel the same about a lot of these saves where the goalie lifts the pad. It’s never obvious to me it would have gone in when the cameras moving, the puck is vertical up in the air, and it’s a matter of centimeters.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Every save Roy made in the first period of game 6 against the Devils.

That was my thought as well given the "moment/stakes" requirement. There may not have been any that had the eye popping aesthetics of say, the Grubruaer save against Calgary, but if Roy does keep the swarming Devils off the board, they very likely end up winning that game. But he held it down, and Foote scores a soft goal to end the period, and the Avs took over the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->