NFL: Best Runners Ever

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
i

The NFL chose Payton and Brown as the starters and the reserves are: Emmitt Smith, the career rushing leader; Marion Motley; Barry Sanders; Steve Van Buren; Gale Sayers; Earl Campbell; Lenny Moore; O.J. Simpson; Eric Dickerson; and Dutch Clark.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
So we're just going to ignore the active guy who is currently 3rd ALL TIME in yards??
Yeah? I mean it's definitely impressive Gore has been a capable RB in the league well into his 30's but he's never really stood out otherwise.
How many seasons was he objectively the top RB in the league? Or even top 5?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah? I mean it's definitely impressive Gore has been a capable RB in the league well into his 30's but he's never really stood out otherwise.
How many seasons was he objectively the top RB in the league? Or even top 5?

Name someone who has had a better overall career at his position over that time.

'Impressive' as if it's a slightly unusual career he's had, especially after his multiple knee injuries in college. I don't give a crap whether he was the single-best in a single season because no one has done more with what they had than Frank Gore. McGahee, Portis etc were all supposed to be better than him coming out, and when is the last time you even heard either of their names mentioned?

His 2006 season where he was right there with LT, who won the MVP, was something special.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Name someone who has had a better overall career at his position over that time.
Tomlinson. Peterson.

Gore has longevity, but it takes more than that to one in such an elite club.

Peterson has more TD in 62 less games. Tomlinson has more TD's in less than HALF the games from 2005-2019 (Gore's career span). and almost double the career TD's overall.

Both are within 2000 career yards in less career games, and much high yards/game too.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

'Impressive' as if it's a slightly unusual career he's had, especially after his multiple knee injuries in college. I don't give a crap whether he was the single-best in a single season because no one has done more with what they had than Frank Gore. McGahee, Portis etc were all supposed to be better than him coming out, and when is the last time you even heard either of their names mentioned?

His 2006 season where he was right there with LT, who won the MVP, was something special.
Yeah I guess he was only 22 touchdowns behind LT. Right there for sure.
Steven Jackson and Larry Johnson were arguably just as good or better that year too, both ahead of him in scrimmage yards and also way ahead in TDs.

And this was by far Gore's best season of his career.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So we're just going to ignore the active guy who is currently 3rd ALL TIME in yards??
Yep

AP? Come on now.

Gore deserves a ton of credit and I have no problem putting him in the HOF, given his production and longevity. But Gore has 1 season of being the top 5 in rushing, never top 5 in TDs. Never an All Pro. He's clearly below the guys who where on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Steven Jackson and Larry Johnson were arguably just as good or better that year too, both ahead of him in scrimmage yards and also way ahead in TDs.

Tomlinson deserved the mvp, but also played on a team with 5 other 1st team all pros. Only 1 of Gore's teammates that year even made the pro bowl. Of course the guy with a 14-2 team would score a lot more td's, which are a heavily team-influenced stat.

Gore averaged more per carry and had more receptions (led his team as well).

You guys value peak way too much, and undervalue longevity (par the course for this entire site). No way AP had had a better career overall.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Johnson gained 94 more yards in 102 more attempts and had 20 less receptions. Jackson got 161 less in 34 more carries. I don't see how you could argue that either were better rb's than Gore that season.

And it was his best season, because they used him less going forward so that he would have the longevity to play longer, and I'd say it worked, wouldn't you??

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Johnson gained 94 more yards in 102 more attempts and had 20 less receptions. Jackson got 161 less in 34 more carries. I don't see how you could argue that either were better rb's than Gore that season.

And it was his best season, because they used him less going forward so that he would have the longevity to play longer, and I'd say it worked, wouldn't you??
I guess if all you look at is yards and yards per rush then, then yes, you can find a way to say Gore was better. Most people look at the whole picture though, TDs, receptions, receiving yards, fumbles, ... you know, the other things that are pretty important at the RB position.

It's where Peterson really loses a lot points in his rank of one of the all-time greats. He was definitely the best pure runner of the last 20 years, but Faulk and LT were better overall RBs during that period.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Tomlinson deserved the mvp, but also played on a team with 5 other 1st team all pros. Only 1 of Gore's teammates that year even made the pro bowl. Of course the guy with a 14-2 team would score a lot more td's, which are a heavily team-influenced stat.

Gore averaged more per carry and had more receptions (led his team as well).

You guys value peak way too much, and undervalue longevity (par the course for this entire site). No way AP had had a better career overall.

Particularly for this exercise, choosing the all time NFL team, it makes no sense to favor longevity over peak.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

If anything people overvalue longevity. Thats why guys like Bettis and Gore make the HOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->