Best roster situation for the next ten years?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
There are many good young cores in the NHL but what will make the difference is the continued drafting and development of prospects over the next 10 years. Players not yet drafted will end up making the difference. For that reason alone, I give the Flyers the edge going forward over the rest of the league.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Jets to me are setting up nicely. Having Scheifele at 6.125 for the next 6 years will help pay some of those other upcoming contracts. Someone like Perreault will get dealt to free up cap space.

And everyone knows about their top guys, but they also just had:

AHL rookie of the year in Appleton
AHL Dman of the year in Niku

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It's almost impossible to project 10 years into the future because there's just so much turnover in the NHL due to the salary cap. The only player that was even in the Flyers system in 2010 that is still here is Giroux and that's only going back 8 years. I think it's a little more fair to look forward to 5 years from now and expect to see at least the core of this team pretty similar to today.

As for their roster situation, I think they have to be looked at as around top 5 for likelihood of success over the next 5 years. The only thing that concerns me is that IMO the Flyers pretty desperately need at least one of Patrick, Konecny, or Frost to turn into a legit superstar that can put up around a PPG pretty consistently and they also need a Robin to that Batman who is consistently at least a 70+ point guy. This probably isn't the year for Hart and even next year I think he's a split starter. So if the window begins to open next year and is fully open and they are contenders by '20-'21 when Hart is established and all the D have at least a couple seasons of experience that when Giroux is 32/33, Voracek is 31, and JvR is 31. I know those guys aren't technically old and I think there's a good change they are all still very productive players but we're more likely seeing Giroux and Voracek as 65-70 point players at best by then. In my mind I think their absolute best chance to win the Cup is in 2020-21 and 2021-22 when Giroux, Voracek, and JvR are all still on the team and the young guys are hitting their primes. After that, who knows what happens with Giroux when his contract expires. Obviously there will be a new core after that and new players drafted but as the roster currently sits today I think those 2 years are their best shot at winning the Cup.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Do you think there is a better team set up for the next ten years than the flyers? Taking into account teams prospect pools, salary cap situation, and current roster is there any team you’d rather swap full rosters and prospect pools with?

you can't judge on a 10 year basis , but you can on a 7-8 year outlook. No team has set themselves up better than the Maple Leafs imo with Tavares and Matthews as legit two number 1 centers in this league. Draisaitl has not shown he can be elite without McDavid, If he had been able to do so I would place those two above TML.

The Flyers have a lot of unproven things out there, its just too much risk to say they are in better situation any other teams. They have potentiial to be ina great position but that is all you can say at this moment.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Toronto based on how the org has been going as of late.

I think we are up there in the top teams for a 10 year outlook.

Best thing is when it comes playoff time it doesn't matter who the best for the 10 year period would be - gotta win when it matters.....I do however, like our chances upcoming.

Oh. And f*** the Leafs. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->