Best roster situation for the next ten years?

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Do you think there is a better team set up for the next ten years than the flyers? Taking into account teams prospect pools, salary cap situation, and current roster is there any team you’d rather swap full rosters and prospect pools with?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Do you think there is a better team set up for the next ten years than the flyers? Taking into account teams prospect pools, salary cap situation, and current roster is there any team you’d rather swap full rosters and prospect pools with?

I'd think long and hard about swapping with Winnipeg, but that's probably it.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Toronto now that they have JT. Sure they have to figure the money out, but that forward corps is dynamite, goalie isn't trash, obvious weakness is defense. And although highly flawed, still like their coach SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
MOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR than our current coach.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah Toronto is a great spot too with a top 3 1-2 punch down the middle, good goaltending, great coach, a few elite wingers, etc. Need to sort that D out though.

Reactions: BernieParent

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I really expect our window to be open for about 5 years beginning in 2019 -2020. It would be a supreme disappointment if we don't have at least 1 Stanley Cup by 2025. Our roster situation is definitely top 3.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Buffalo having Eichel, Mittelstadt, and Dahlin to build around is a good position for them to be in too.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Buffalo having Eichel, Mittelstadt, and Dahlin to build around is a good position for them to be in too.
There's no, to very little, depth behind that. ROR kinda filled a Giroux/Voracek type role on that team, but- Bye Felicia. Also, the coaching isn't anything to write home about, nor is the goaltending. The owner is good in theory, that is to say caring, but the pieces of the puzzle have yet to fit. I could see those three having careers like Borque - great in their drafted city, need to leave right before retirement to actually taste success.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd probably say Edmonton or Toronto or Buffalo are the best. The Flyers certainly are up there, but I don't think I'd put them as the best. Probably #3 or #4.

Flyers have ATM 21 and under the Neck, Provolone, Lindblom, and Patrick in the NHL (and Frost and Myers on the cusp). Then from 22-25 they have Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, Coots, Laughton. That's pretty impressive, but you have a team like Edmonton with McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, RNH, Puljujaarvi, and Larson (plus Klefbom and Nurse). Or Buffalo with Eichel, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Reinhart, Risto (I know, I know, he sucks), and Thompson. Then you have Toronto, whom out of these three I am hoping fails the most, with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kappanen, and Rielly, plus some 25-30ish players that will make an impact in the immediate future but maybe ten years from now won't like JT and Kadri. These teams (with the exception of probably the Leafs) some prospects that are farther off that may or may not have the impact that we think. But if I'm guessing which team will have the most success over the next ten years it would be these four. I know that these teams have flaws (some of which includes management and coaches), but if we are just talking about the rosters or organizational depth, this is where I'm looking. The one thing that the Flyers have over these teams is Carter Hart, but he's all potential right now so I'm not hanging my hat on him. If he hits (or Sandstrom or Tomek or Stolie or Fedotov or anyone in the system) that probably puts the Flyers much closer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's no, to very little, depth behind that. ROR kinda filled a Giroux/Voracek type role on that team, but- Bye Felicia. Also, the coaching isn't anything to write home about, nor is the goaltending. The owner is good in theory, that is to say caring, but the pieces of the puzzle have yet to fit. I could see those three having careers like Borque - great in their drafted city, need to leave right before retirement to actually taste success.

We are talking about the next 10 years though. Hextall just proved that great depth can be built up in a short amount of time if done the right way.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

They have no depth. Very little current NHL talent. A very top heavy prospect pool. There are too many question marks now to consider them over us. I definitely prefer our group.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They have no depth. Very little current NHL talent. A very top heavy prospect pool. There are too many question marks now to consider them over us. I definitely prefer our group.

I never said i'd consider them over us. Just pointing out that they have 3 exceptional building blocks.

Dahlin could be the best D in the league in his prime. Eichel should be a top 10 1C and Mittelstadt could be a top 10 2C. Good foundation.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe not the best, but we're certainly up there.

Of course, threads like this crack me up because of all the people not even 3 weeks ago who just moaned about Hextall.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Buffalo’s probably going to be terrible again next year putting them in the Jack Hughes sweepsteaks.

For a team that’s full on rebuilding they only made 12 selections in the past two drafts (6 in 2018 & 6 in 2017). They very well could have three first rounders for the 2019 draft though. Murray did a bad job drafting outside of his high picks & that’s pretty much why they’re so top heavy right now.

Reactions: BernieParent

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'd argue that our group has the fewest question marks among those that can lay claim to the 'brightest future' within the confines of the topic.

We have proven talent in all age groups and there isn't much of a cut off between the "old-core" and the "new-core" sans Giroux. If he can age gracefully, which is extremely likely to be the case, then we are runaway contenders for the next 5 years with a youth movement that could extend it indefinitely.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Edm when their cap catches up to their talent. McD and Drai are a hell of a combo down the middle. They also have Skinner coming up in net

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Winnipeg and Toronto are my choices Edmonton and Buffalo are to thin on debth

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Toronto based on how the org has been going as of late.

I think we are up there in the top teams for a 10 year outlook.

Best thing is when it comes playoff time it doesn't matter who the best for the 10 year period would be - gotta win when it matters.....I do however, like our chances upcoming.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I never said i'd consider them over us. Just pointing out that they have 3 exceptional building blocks.

Dahlin could be the best D in the league in his prime. Eichel should be a top 10 1C and Mittelstadt could be a top 10 2C. Good foundation.

I think they also have 3 1sts this coming draft. That situation on the flyers would equal a cup contender. Hopefully Buffalo screws it up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Buffalo would be in much better shape had they not traded their 2015 1st to Ottawa for Lehner and instead drafted Samsonov, who is an NHL ready stud goalie prospect for Washington instead.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I think they also have 3 1sts this coming draft. That situation on the flyers would equal a cup contender. Hopefully Buffalo screws it up.

I'm not saying they are in a bad situation, there are just too many question makers for me to take their group over ours.

Only the Buffalo 1st projects to be top-10. The other two picks are for San Jose and St.Louis both of whom should be in the 20-31 range. And getting a top-6 forward with one of those selections is around 20%. Just too many question marks at this stage.

Reactions: TheKingPin

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo would be in much better shape had they not traded their 2015 1st to Ottawa for Lehner and instead drafted Samsonov, who is an NHL ready stud goalie prospect for Washington instead.

I also think they would be in a better situation if they kept ROR. I know it wasn't totally in the cards, because he apparently wasn't too happy there. But, I feel like a lot of rebuilds struggle to get off the ground if there isn't enough NHL talent to buffer young players. And the return for ROR was pretty underwhelming. They got a mid/late 1st, a slower more cumbersome version of Ratcliffe, a 2nd round pick in a few years, and not one but, two cap dumps in exchange for a solid defensively 60 point center.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I think that TOR and we have (or we will to have) team like LAK or CHI (2010-2015) with 1/2 superstars and really good depth. Edmonton and Buffalo then have team like PIT (2 TOP10-15 C) with worse depth now than PIT in 2016/2017.

CHI had Kane, Keith, Toews as a superstars. Then very good depth. LAK had Kopitar, Doughty, Quick and very good depth.
We have Giroux, Voracek, Provorov, Gostisbehere and then good depth. In 2 seasons maybe Patrick and Konecny would by superstars too, we'll see.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Winnipeg and Toronto are my choices Edmonton and Buffalo are to thin on debth
I like Winnipeg obviously, but they are already having cap issues and sacrifices and they haven’t even paid their big guy yet. And it seems like players want a lot to stay there. Not so sure about their goalie but I’d favor he’s the real deal. He’s the real reason they did well.

I like Toronto too. They need to hit on a dman but they should be able to do that if they focus everything on that. I’m not 100% sure I want to trade our team for theirs as I could see our team having more success than theirs now and in the future depending on some things.

I don’t know that we have the clear cut top team going forward as wel lack the generation and near generational talent that some of the other teams have. That said, we do have the deepest and most compete team and prospects in the league. The timing for fwds and d should be right on. The goalie situation is tough, but we can bridge it with good play from stolarz or maybe taking a run at bob.

I certainly think we are going to be a cup contender after this year and for the next 10 years or so. That’s very exciting!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->