Best rookie surprises/disappointments at training camp & preseason??

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
To add to the Mayorov, Savard, and Jenner loving going on by CBJ fans... can't forget Cam Atkinson.

His skating, stick handling, and shot are very good. He's 5'9", but he plays like he doesn't know it. In college, he would dangle through defensemen and go to the net. They said he can't do it at the next level because players are bigger. In camp, he would dangle through defensemen and go to the net. They said he can't do it in a game because players are more aggressive. He's currently doing it in pre-season games. We'll see where he goes from here.

(PS. He says the player he most idolizes is Martin St. Louis).

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
To add to the Mayorov, Savard, and Jenner loving going on by CBJ fans... can't forget Cam Atkinson.

His skating, stick handling, and shot are very good. He's 5'9", but he plays like he doesn't know it. In college, he would dangle through defensemen and go to the net. They said he can't do it at the next level because players are bigger. In camp, he would dangle through defensemen and go to the net. They said he can't do it in a game because players are more aggressive. He's currently doing it in pre-season games. We'll see where he goes from here.

Definitely. He was arguably the most noticeable forward on the ice tonight.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Nathan Beaulieu just played 27 minutes versus the Sabres. looked very good, not out of place.
HM to Gallagher, both these kids should make team canada

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Cowen looked solid again today. Made a few good plays holding the puck in the offensive zone.

Zibanejad scored the OT winner on a rocket of a shot. Seemed lacking confidence before that though.

Rundblad got beat badly in the third, still looks like he needs some time in the AHL.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Tomas Hyka. Undrafted 18 yr old (this past year was his draft year) from Czech who was taken 8th in the CHL import draft. Played in his first preseason game and scored a goal on a breakaway (played in the rookie game and also scored a goal). Had a few shots and, somehow, didnt look out of place. Plus, he has amazing goal celebrations.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Tomas Hyka. Undrafted 18 yr old (this past year was his draft year) from Czech who was taken 8th in the CHL import draft. Played in his first preseason game and scored a goal on a breakaway (played in the rookie game and also scored a goal). Had a few shots and, somehow, didnt look out of place. Plus, he has amazing goal celebrations.

That was a sweet deke.

On the Leafs end;

- Gardiner is slick and has good offensive instincts and doesn't panic when the pressha is on.
- Frattin finally did something tonight, great shot.
- Colborne is in no way flashy, but he has great hands and knows where to be.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm actually very excited to see Jordan Schroeder progress... I like the kid a lot and I think the Canucks will do great things for him and he will return the favor.

bzer

Jan 31, 2009
I'm actually very excited to see Jordan Schroeder progress... I like the kid a lot and I think the Canucks will do great things for him and he will return the favor.

Agreed. Has the talent but lack the size. Hopefully, he can make up for it.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
How's Leblanc?

Recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and as a result can't play in pre-season games yet.

Beaulieu was terrific tonight, especially in the 2nd and 3rd period. The most telling part is the veterans are already impressed - Gorges was predicting superstardom after the game (a bit much, but you get the picture), Subban saying something like ''we all can see he's a real good player''.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I figured Savard was a year or two away... Surprisingly he looks ready for 2nd pairing duty right now.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and as a result can't play in pre-season games yet.

Beaulieu was terrific tonight, especially in the 2nd and 3rd period. The most telling part is the veterans are already impressed - Gorges was predicting superstardom after the game (a bit much, but you get the picture), Subban saying something like ''we all can see he's a real good player''.

Yep. And against a pretty stacked Sabres pre-season team tonight.

On the IR.

Ugh that's sad... I had such high hopes for Leblanc... He was one of my favorite players in the '09 draft.

:(

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The kid wasn't getting his just due in the draft IMO. I had him in the top 10, kid has all kinds of skill as well as size and sandpaper.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
For the Blues.

Evgeny Grachev - 2 goals and 1 assist in 2 preseason games. He seemed to click with Stewart in this last game. They both had a lot of opportunities. He sounded like he was the best player on the ice for most of the game.

Pneuma

Apr 10, 2011
Gustav Nyquist

“What I saw in the rookie camp is Nyquist is going to be an NHL player for sure,'' Babcock said Tuesday. “When is he going to be that?''

“He's like Pav (Datsyuk) in that he skates faster with the puck than he does without it, creates space every time he's on the ice,'' Babcock said. “He's professional with and without the puck. Looks like a hockey player. He's an NHL player.''

“I think (Gustav) Nyquist is very impressive."

"Nyquist is a real good hockey player."

~Mike Babcock

“He put a good move on me I wasn't expecting,'' Stuart said. "He looks like a solid player, pretty skilled. Seems to be pretty smart. He's impressive.''

~ Brad Stuart

“I haven't seen him play before, heard good things about him,'' Detroit's Niklas Kronwall said. "It's fun to see a guy like that come in and do so well at his age. He's a pretty mature guy off the ice. Pretty impressed with him.''

~Nicklas Kronwall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad