Best rookie surprises/disappointments at training camp & preseason??

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Very surprised how Weircioch still sucks and still looks like he made no improvements on his game from last season.

What's strange is that, while he's not overly big, he is tall and should be able to use his frame a bit better.

On the ice, you get no sense of how tall he is or his wingspan.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
For the Rangers:

Erixon is as promised, he's playing really well and looks ready for the NHL. Sorry, Calgary.

McColgan, who I thought was a bit of a steal, is opening a lot of eyes. He's small, but talented and chippy.

Thomas playing against men is helping everyone set more realistic expectations for him. In Juniors, he is allowed to dominate. Against pros, he gets muscled around a lot and his flaws show a lot more. Not so much a disappointment for realists, but disappointing to those who thought he was NHL ready.

McIlrath is still a few years out. Some facets of his game are promising, and some still need work. I was most impressed by his skating, he's a lot quicker than I would have expected, but overall his game needs a lot more polish.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Just for prospects from the Leafs/Sens game:

Leafs - Gardiner played great, above expectations, while Frattin didn't do much, below expectations

Sens - Cowen played great, above expectations, while I thought Rundblad had a pretty bad game and showed little offensively or defensively

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Just for prospects from the Leafs/Sens game:

Leafs - Gardiner played great, above expectations, while Frattin didn't do much, below expectations

Sens - Cowen played great, above expectations, while I thought Rundblad had a pretty bad game and showed little offensively or defensively

I think Frattin played ok really. He wasn't the goal scoring phenom some might think after his NCAA explosion but he was playing a pretty good puck pressuring game and did good. Not great but good.

Gardiner continues to show some serious skating and offensive ability. If he keeps playing like he has been its going to be hard to keep him off the roster. It helps that the coaching staff is telling him to let loose on the offense.

Kadri is showing good confidence and creativity. Didn't come up on the scoreboard but he displayed nice chemistry with Bozak and Armstrong. That could be a good third line unit for the year.

Cowen impressed me. Maybe not the smartest move to oblige Phaneuf but it gained me respect. He isn't willing to back down even if its an inconsequential game and he defended a teammate. Plus two goals is a pretty sweet little game.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Conacher for the Bolts. Has an AHL only contract right now, impressing the hell out of everyone. Boucher and Yzerman has been caught talking about this kid for a few days now, though no real details about it have been released. Has NHL speed and skill. Getting a contract no doubt, and I think he is making a case for being a dark horse to make the team. Not bad for a kid that was signed just to help the minor league club out.

Any relation to the Conacher's in the HHOF?

Fulcrum

I'll try to be as subjective as possible, although it'll still come out biased.

I thought that Filatov was the best forward on the Sens team, considering he wasn't playing with ideal linemates who couldn't hold or pass a puck consistently, and a defense that had serious trouble breaking out. (Good forechecking from the leafs as well.)

Apart from assisting both goals (1st one was inch-perfect pass), he beat a leafs defender on the outside for a near break away. That's what you expect to see from him. I can't wait for him to be on the 1st line as the key winger. I think he can live up to his full potential which is quiet high. His work ethic in the game showed to be really good, he was running at defenders all night at high speed and putting good forechecking pressure causing a few turnovers.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
At Avs camp Meurs and Aittokallio have been very good surprises.

Meurs is very quick and shifty with a great shot. He's been very solid so far, but there have been shifts that he has dominated and this has been against NHL defensemen.

Aittokallio has been the Avs best goaler besides Varlamov and at times has outplayed him imo. He plays very big and at same time is very quick. Also has very good reaction time and always see's the puck even with bodies in front. Rebound control is also very good, but still vulnerable to squeaky goals.

Pickard in one word..........horrible. He's been one of the worse players so far. Yes he's playing for a weak team (team blue to be exact), but man he's getting lit up every game he's played so far. Ton of goals from bad angles going high glove.

You forgot Joekim Lindstrom, by far the biggest surprise of camp thus far. Could start on one the top 2 lines if preseason goes good

And I disagree on Calvin Pickard. He hasn't been great, and 1 day he was as bad as you said - but at other times he hasn't been that bad and was OK. Agree entirely on Sammi.

Manny*

Zibanejad looked nervous. In the rookie camp he was willing to try advanced moves and use his creativity and it really paid off for him. Last night, however, he really simplified his game and you could tell he was scared of doing something wrong. As he gets more comfortable, I expect him to really step it up.

Rundblad didn't play as well as we've seen from him. He was very tentative and sort of half-assed everything. Like Zibanejad, I think he'll get better with every game. It's a pretty big transition for him. He was our best defenceman in the rookie tournament, and that was no fluke.

Cowen was outstanding last night. Really solid defensively as we've come to expect from him, but helped a lot with the transition game as well and made some nice plays up ice. His two goals were icing on the cake.

Wiercioch was poopoo. Don't know what's wrong with him.

Filatov had a great game. made some nice plays and gelled with Peter Regin quite well. I'd like to see him play more physical, but I could say the same for many other guys. All in all, a good game.

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
I'm interest in Magnus Hellberg's and Adam larsson's camps? Are they doing good so far?

How is Hellberg compared with all the other goalie prospects, wich are great, in Nashville?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I didn't notice Filatov at all last night aside from the first assist. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Rndblad did´t play very well against the leafs, but i´d say he´s been better than Cowen in pretty much all the other games. Murray seem to think Rundblad is ahead of him, but we will see.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
I'm interest in Magnus Hellberg's and Adam larsson's camps? Are they doing good so far?

How is Hellberg compared with all the other goalie prospects, wich are great, in Nashville?

Larsson is doing great so far, he has only played a few scrimmages so far but he shows greatness already!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Not 100% certain, but I think Hellberg stayed in Europe as he's not listed on their camp roster: http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2011/09/16/training-camp-roster/

Larsson's looked calm and composed, Henrik Tallinder used Tyler Myers as a comparable: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...allinder_impressed_by_larssons_calm_demeanor/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Late 2nd Shane Prince and 4th rounder J-G Pageau of Gatineau both survive first cut. Noesen, Puempel, Culek, Stone, Fransoo all heading back to junior.

I haven't noticed Pageau much, but Prince has been good so far.

However, I think that these two only survived the first cut because their CHL teams are in the Ottawa area. Management wants the young guys to get home and settled in preparation for their junior camps. That is not an issue with Prince and Pageau.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I haven't noticed Pageau much, but Prince has been good so far.

However, I think that these two only survived the first cut because their CHL teams are in the Ottawa area. Management wants the young guys to get home and settled in preparation for their junior camps. That is not an issue with Prince and Pageau.

Pageau was hurt and played a limited role in the rookie game he played in.

It could be the location of their junior teams being local, but as far as I'm concerned Prince has deserved the extra look over Puempel and Noesen thus far, and we already know on the Sens list, Prince wasn't that far back from them.

Also, Prince and Pageau are late 1992 birthdays and both could be playing in the AHL at the end of the year.

4thliner*

I think Frattin played ok really. He wasn't the goal scoring phenom some might think after his NCAA explosion but he was playing a pretty good puck pressuring game and did good. Not great but good.

Gardiner continues to show some serious skating and offensive ability. If he keeps playing like he has been its going to be hard to keep him off the roster. It helps that the coaching staff is telling him to let loose on the offense.

Kadri is showing good confidence and creativity. Didn't come up on the scoreboard but he displayed nice chemistry with Bozak and Armstrong. That could be a good third line unit for the year.

Cowen impressed me. Maybe not the smartest move to oblige Phaneuf but it gained me respect. He isn't willing to back down even if its an inconsequential game and he defended a teammate. Plus two goals is a pretty sweet little game.

He instigated it and handled Phaneuf easily. Not many punches landed and visor did not help.

4thliner*

I didn't notice Filatov at all last night aside from the first assist. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Filatov was very noticeable. Actually he has both assists. He got behind a Leafs D on a break as well as create.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Oilers:

Impress:

Nugent-Hopkins
Martindale
Bunz
Marincin
Pitlick
Lander
Gernat
Tyrvainen