Best rookie surprises/disappointments at training camp & preseason??

SameOld

Aug 15, 2010
From the Ducks:

Highlights:
Brandon MacMillan has really impressed and will see a major improvement from last year.
Palmieri does not look physicall overmatched and his speed has increased from last year.
Holland, whom everyone thinks is a bust, had a really impressive showing (minus his faceoffs).
Etem delivered as well, scoring a goal in the training camp scrimmage, and decking Sheldon Brookbank when he didn't expect it.
Andrew Gordon - Showed why he was a top scorer in the AHL last year. He'll definitely see some time with the big club this year.

Really glad to hear this. I loved Gordo, it was too bad that there wasn't really a place in DC for him. Hope he works out for you guys.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
For me Cowen has looked the best of the Sens prospects. Not totally surprising though.

there have been flashes of good play from other players, but I feel like they need some AHL/SEL time.

I haven't been all that disappointed by anyone though. Rundblad I expected to need time to get used to NA ice (and he's had flashes of brilliance, but needs time). Zibanejad, I had zero expectations, and I think he's played well, but needs time. Filatov has skill, but his work ethic is still a huge question.

Overall, I'm actually fairly happy with the way things have been. The prospects have all shown flashes of skill, and need time. Gonna be a hard year!

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
He impressed the hell outa me today....He looked terrific

he really impressed me by standing up to phaneuf in the first, even though tim conboy is a scrub and he's a prize prospect.
Then in the second someone tried to check him and just bounced off him. Some of my favorite memories as a sens fan were watching players bounce off chara.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Conacher for the Bolts. Has an AHL only contract right now, impressing the hell out of everyone. Boucher and Yzerman has been caught talking about this kid for a few days now, though no real details about it have been released. Has NHL speed and skill. Getting a contract no doubt, and I think he is making a case for being a dark horse to make the team. Not bad for a kid that was signed just to help the minor league club out.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
he really impressed me by standing up to phaneuf in the first, even though tim conboy is a scrub and he's a prize prospect.
Then in the second someone tried to check him and just bounced off him. Some of my favorite memories as a sens fan were watching players bounce off chara.

On both goals, I was expecting to see the name Karlsson on the player who shot it. Both times it was Cowen. Very impressive tonight.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
On both goals, I was expecting to see the name Karlsson on the player who shot it. Both times it was Cowen. Very impressive tonight.

It's probably the smoothest I've ever seen him look with the puck and skating. Previously the best I had ever seen him look was as soon as he stepped into the AHL playoffs...it's very odd his skills seem to just get better with the level of play.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Since you're in Denver, I would like to know how Landeskog is doing :yo:

I haven't seen him but from what I hear...

1. He has been pretty superb only playing one sub-par scrimmage.
2. He seems to do best in front of the net on the PP... He's an immovable object
3. He has rocked people's **** like crazy and has actually (minorly) hurt himself in the process... foolhardy or Berserker blood? We'll have to find out.
4. He's ready for the NHL. He's scored goals, playmade, played great defense, rocked people's ****.

I'm very excited. A few posters think he'll overtake Duchene as "Franchise Face"

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
You got it. Rundblad? More like Runbad.

Ugh. This is tiresome.

Join your other friends here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=984675

Explain to us why Landeskog would be your guys' #6 prospect if he were on the Senators. I'm really wanting to hear that.

That was a hilarious joke, friend.

It must be bed time for you. Those are not my friends and I have no idea what you are talking about in reference to Landeskog.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

That was a hilarious joke, friend.

It must be bed time for you. Those are not my friends and I have no idea what you are talking about in reference to Landeskog.

Hilarious joke indeed sir.

IMO Lando, Colorado's top prospect, comes in 6th on Ottawa's list.

Rundblad
Zibanejad
Cowen
Filatov
Landeskog
DaCosta
Lehner
Silfverberg
Elliott
Puempel
Siemens

I really don't like the way Colorado drafts. They performed really bad in the first round this year considering how high they picked. Up there with Toronto as far as pissing picks away without getting talent back.

This is even more hilarious though.

Look at that.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Patrick Holland and Michael Ferland have both surprised for the Flames. I'd bet money on Holland becoming a decent NHLer at some point. Outside of them, most of the guys you'd expect to play well, have, and the ones you don't, haven't. The question marks (Howse, for example) are continuing to be question marks for the time being.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Edmonton seems to have a ton of young guys who are bubbling up to the surface through the pipeline.

Contrary to what a couple other posters have said about Nugent-Hopkins, I would argue he's had a quiet TC so far, been somewhat of a disappointment. Although not entirely. Suppose many of us were hoping to see a more eye popping, razzle dazzle type of offensive performance from him, both in scrimmage and drills considering his speed, skill and compete level.

RNH is the quiet assassin though, I understand that. Overall he has been good defensively, hasn't looked out of place with established pros and has been good at making little plays and winning faceoffs etc.

Standouts so far for the Oilers:

Ryan Martindale - big, smooth skilled player with a great compete level.
Teemu Hartikainen - future stud/elite third liner. Will be a pest, a big hitter with good scoring touch. Scored a beauty in the Joey Moss Cup.
Martin Marincin - big, skilled, intimidating D-man but calming presence. Rock solid all around.
Anton Lander - looks to be a future gem

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For the Sens Z-Bad, Cowen and Rundblad have all looked good at various times, and Filatov was the Sens best forward last night (not saying much), so he has been perhaps slightly better than expected (mostly because the expectations were still pretty high for him). As I have said all a long though, I think there is a good chance Cowen beats out Rundblad to start the season. Rundblad, while looking fantastic a great deal of the time (the talent isn't hard to see), has still had moments where it looks like he thinks he has more room than there is defensively in getting used to the smaller ice surface. Playing 25 minutes a night for 15-20 games in Bingo to start the season wouldn't be the worst thing, although perhaps he'll adjust by opening night. I think Cowen is ready for full-time NHL duty, and given his size, strength, toughness and familiarity with NHL ice, he could easily start the season in Ottawa ahead of Rundblad (even though Rundblad might be the better d-man long-term). Da Costa also looked great during the rookie tourney, while Derek Grant and Corey Cowick were pleasant surprises. Mark Borowiecki continues to impress, and has arguably passing Patrick Wiercioch on the depth chart (and prospect list, in some people's eyes).

On the down side, the aforementioned Wiercioch had a bad night last night, after an underwhelming rookie tourney. After a decent spell with the Sens late last year, he looks like he needs at least another year to fill out and adapt to the pro game (really shouldn't have turned pro, when he did). Mark Stone has been decent at times, including scoring the OT winner to win the rookie tourney against the Leafs, but at the same time his skating is clearly a step behind most of the other rookies, let alone NHL level. A lot of work there. Puempel has been decent at times, but hasn't shined. Noesen has been average. Smaller guys like Pageau have had trouble making an impact. The last disappointment is not having Silfverberg here. Would have been great for his development to at least play in the rookie camp, but that mostly just impatience in waiting for his arrival I guess.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just let the Colorado kid have his "Best Prospect Base in the NHL" award and we'll move on.

In terms of what I've seen, Rundblad needs some seasoning but there's a lot to like about him. He's generally good with the puck, can see the ice well, moves quickly and decisively for a guy with a decent-sized frame. I think he needs to figure out the smaller ice surface a bit better because he doesn't have the time and space he is used to. I'm certainly not going to throw him under the bus after one game. He certainly didn't play all that well in it, the Leafs did well in pressuring him.

Cowen's best game was his last game. Before that, he'd been a bit tentative, although both of his best games have been against the same team (albeit with vastly different players), the Leafs. His footspeed at times seemed to be a problem, but lately it hasn't been. He's good at pinning opponents, and he shows a pretty impressive ability to read the play both offensively and defensively.

Zibanejad was very impressive in the rookie tournament, showcasing a lot of speed and skill, and clearly standing out among the other 18-year olds. Again, not able to use his body to protect and take the puck away against the full-sized Leafs as he did against the rookies. He'll likely need a year of size and strength building before he can play his style of hockey. As it is though, he could get 9 games in the NHL just to see how he'll measure up. I think there were a lot of nerves there.

As Dr. Sens(e) pointed out, these are the guys that really stood out early and were pegged to challenge for the team right away.

On the Leafs side, Gardiner has looked good and Frattin was good in the rookie tournament, though he got beat for the puck and cost his team a goal in the first exhibition game.

I think the learning curve will be pretty steep for some of the rookies as they start to play against the elite for the first time. That's why I'm hesitant to overreact either positively or negatively after any one game. There's really no way to prepare for the dramatic increase in game speed and intensity.

Last edited:

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Disappointed again by "RundBald" (if you watched the game youd know what Im talking about, stupid Joe Bowen).

Gardiner was magnificent last night. Had one miscue in the defensive zone but it led to nothing. He can skate like its noones business.

Kadri looked alot better. Alot stronger and more confident with and without the puck.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Gardiner for the Leafs was amazing last night. Still can't believe Anaheim traded him for Beauchemin. What were they thinking??

Afro Thunder*

Very surprised how Weircioch still sucks and still looks like he made no improvements on his game from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad