Best rookie surprises/disappointments at training camp & preseason??

MrSerious

Nov 8, 2008
The point is random players often get insane goal and point totals in the pre-season, playing AHL squads and getting top line minutes with top tier players when they certainly won't in the regular season. Using it as a bar as to why a player will be very good this year (when they're a rookie) is useless.

It's more about how they look and if what they're doing will bring them success against real opponents. I guess it's more about the little things than it is about scoring goals.

Pirri could have had 0 points and been just as impressive in my mind.

Got it. I thought you just took a random post about a rookie who was doing good and pointed out a player who had a good preseason then did nothing at the nhl level. Which you could say for any post in this thread. Now I feel like a jackass.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Mark Borowiecki was among the group of last cuts for the Sens. He looks very very close to being NHL ready.

Mike Hoffman was also in that group of last cuts but he was the last cut last year too so its not as surprising.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Rumor has it the Hawks are currently in contract talks with Saad.

If they get him signed by Tuesday, he'll be on the opening night roster. They'll need him considering injuries to Stalberg, Smith.

Probably for no more than 9 games, then back to Saginaw.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Mark Scheifele has lead the league in every offensive category at some point during the pre-season.

At this point, there's no way he doesn't get at least 9 games.

Cosmonaut

Mar 7, 2010
Florida
Gudbranson has been shaky in the preseason. He will get the 9-game tryout, but there has been talk of sending him back to juniors if he doesn't play well enough. I doubt that happens though.

Markstrom outplayed Plante, so with Clemmensen injured, he will start the season as the backup.

cenas*

Mark Scheifele has lead the league in every offensive category at some point during the pre-season.

Just.. no. /facepalm

Offensive remarks to Sean Avery:

Simmonds 1,
Scheifele 0

edit: I think it was Simmonds, not Subban

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Not if he doesnt get signed. At this point, it looks like Winnipeg will probably need to pay him max bonuses, which isnt TOO bad. As long as they're willing to pay around 700k in bonuses/year they will likely be able to ink him but I think this could be a Gubranson type situation if they dont. Not the worst thing, IMO, as even if Scheifele is NHL ready another year in the O might be even better for his development.
This all being said, I believe he will sign.

And, he did. 700k Bonus. Surprised he didnt get more but whatever, still good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->