best rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
what do you guys think is the best international rivalry between teams? I think it is Sweden v. Finland, you never know who's gunna win... even if one team is winning 5-1 after the second period. :banghead: :cry: :mad:

Tretiak

Jun 19, 2003
www.russianhockey.net
Canada - Russia/Soviet Union is number 1

Then we have:

Canada - USA
USA - Russia
Russia - Czechs
Sweden - Finland
Slovakia - Czech Republic
Latvia - Russia

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
Isn't Latvia - Russia sort of a one sided rivalry? I think Latvia cares about beating Russia a lot more than Russia cares about beating Latvia.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If its all tiem then for sure without a doubt Canada vs. Russia. Think of 1972, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987. Then all of the Junior battles. But currently I think it may very well be Canada/USA or Sweden/Finland. Of course a final between Canada and Russia would change that. Personally I dont think that USa is even going to get into the final game. I see Russia and Sweden ahead of them on the depth chart. Maybe even the Czechs.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Yes the Canadian and Russian rivalry go back aaaall the way to 1972. The Swedish - Finnish love/hate relationship goes back a bit further than that.. and it's not only about the hockey.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
And I would call Canada and Russia the best rivalry because when they played, it was to see who was best in the world. Even if other nations won the gold or the tournaments, the team that was considered the best was the winner between Canada and Russia.

The rivalry between Canada and the U.S. just isn't as "hate-filled" either because our players are the North American players. When it comes down to it, were on the same side against the 'evil-Euros!'

Canada/Sweden is getting pretty good IMO.

SChan*

Naah I think USA and Canada are more like brothers than a real rivalry. No hard feelings between these 2 teams.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SectionX said:
Naah I think USA and Canada are more like brothers than a real rivalry. No hard feelings between these 2 teams.
Maybe among players they feel like brothers but it is definitly not the same with the fans. Many Canadian hockey fans, if not most, would rather see Canada lose to the Russians than to the Americans. When Canada is out of a tournament, most Canadians then root the Finns or the Swedes. I don't know anyone personally who would root for the USA.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Canuck21t said:
Maybe among players they feel like brothers but it is definitly not the same with the fans. Many Canadian hockey fans, if not most, would rather see Canada lose to the Russians than to the Americans. When Canada is out of a tournament, most Canadians then root the Finns or the Swedes. I don't know anyone personally who would root for the USA.

Canadian fans dont ever cheer for the USA because if the USA ever finnished ahead of Canada the US Media always makes these stories of how much better the USA is at hockey than Canada (See Rick Reilly). The American hockey media is pritty harsh toward Canada and the conclusion of this years Cup finals only proved it more so.

Estey

May 17, 2004
Saint John, NB
Of course I am biased a little and would say the US and Canada have a pretty good rivalry as of right now. However, I think you could take any of the top 8 nations in the sport and say they all are pretty competetive and each game they play against eachother spurs on rivalry. Simply because the nations are so close and really anyone in that top 8 could easily win the selected tourny that they are in.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Estey said:
Simply because the nations are so close and really anyone in that top 8 could easily win the selected tourny that they are in.

Sorry but there is no top 8 in hockey. Only top 7.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Biggest rivalry ever : Canada vs. Russia, but now they haven't even faced in the past 2 Olympics, and it sucks!!!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
By the way I've seen game 3 of the Canada Cup 87, and to my surprise there was an uncalled penalty against Canada on the play that led to the winning goal. How intresting. And then the Canadians tell me that Canada Cup was a fair tournament despite that all the games were played on Canadian soil and refereed by North Americans. Great.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
wilka91 said:
By the way I've seen game 3 of the Canada Cup 87, and to my surprise there was an uncalled penalty against Canada on the play that led to the winning goal. How intresting. And then the Canadians tell me that Canada Cup was a fair tournament despite that all the games were played on Canadian soil and refereed by North Americans. Great.

Hey, the refs have always favoured the North American teams in those tournaments.

Estey

May 17, 2004
Saint John, NB
Canada
USA
Russia
Finland
Sweden
Slovakia
Cech Rep
Germany (I realize that these guys are number 8, but they always give stiff competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->