Best Rinks In The OHL

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
As a Sault resident, the arena is good but lacks the charisma of the old Gardens. Think they should finish the upper bowl and start to add more personal touches around the concourse.. And please change up the music selection too. The playlist seems to be the same for years on end. Also.. Stop charging people for cup holders...

Reactions: HF92

BiffTannen

Oct 2, 2022
As a Sault resident, the arena is good but lacks the charisma of the old Gardens. Think they should finish the upper bowl and start to add more personal touches around the concourse.. And please change up the music selection too. The playlist seems to be the same for years on end. Also.. Stop charging people for cup holders...

Crazy how most arena music was updated in something in the 1990's and never since. They are still basically playing Dance Mix '93 in every arena around the world.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Obviously in terms of size, amenities, etc London takes the cake. But as a true "Jr" rink it would be far from the best imo. When the IceDogs played at the Jack in St. Catharines that was by far the best rink I have been in for Jr. Hockey. Yes it was old and outdated. But. you were right on top of the action, the atmosphere was like a college football game. My top 5 right now in no order would be:

Owen Sound
Saginaw
Niagara
Kitchener
Soo

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I think all fans should have their own arena ranked #1. Love the Bud for the aforementioned reason, as well as for the spectacle, 9000+ fans.
Excluding the Bud, I love the Aud.
I've heard good things about the Dow in Saginaw... unfortunately, at this time, I have no interest in visiting the U. S.
I'd like to see a game in Sudbury and the Soo.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Peterborough - favourite of any arena I’ve played in

Sudbury - the view from gondola must be the best remaining; directly behind the net on the end with the wolf was loud and entertaining at one time

Kitchener - a bit distracting but cheesy cool

Niagara and Kingston

I plan to watch a game(s) in Erie 2024-25.

Reactions: frontsfan67

road warrior

May 25, 2014
#1 for me is Oshawa – my favorite overall and favorite of the newer arena’s - love just about everything about it (except when they re-named it). But if they remove the outstanding Hall of Fame for extra team office space – it’ll be a shame.

#2 The Aud in Kitchener is my favorite old arena, Great sight lines from the steep seating (they are small seats though), great knowledgeable fans, great history & traditions - really good food choices.

#3 Guelph Sleeman Center – just always seem to have a good time there, really good atmosphere in that rink, friendly fan’s (concourses are really crowded though)

#4 Erie – Erie Insurance Arena, a fun arena that absolutely rocked when I was there (was during the McDavid era – probably not the same today)

#5 I’ll give the nod to Niagara over Kingston, for a newer arena that’s learned lessons from previous buildings, to build a better rink for the fans to enjoy. Having the walkway access directly from downtown & all the restaurants & pubs there for a before game meal is pretty unique too.

Honorable mention from the past is
Maple Leaf Gardens & seeing the Major’s play home games there.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A lot of the OHL has new’ish rinks that are mostly cookie cutter rinks in that 4500-5500 range. So, for me, it comes down to location and amenities. London has the best rink IMO. Kitchener is showing its age. Ottawa is showing its age. Owen Sound, Erie and Peterborough have all done well to renovate their existing.

But, if we include inter-league games, Gatineau is the best hands down. The atmosphere they create there is unlike anywhere else in the OHL. No other rink comes remotely close. Two good teams in Ottawa and Gatineau playing in that full rink is crazy town. Gatineau fans are a bunch of lunch pails. Totally bonkers.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Everyone's opinion of course but London has a terrible jammed concourse and no parking except paid lots. Doesn't seem to fit your criteria.
Mississauga has all the things you mentioned but likely a lack of fans keeps the concourse clear. Lol.
There is free parking and low cost parking with easy, quick egress after a game within 10 min walk. Just gotta know where to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad