Best prospect pool in the NHL (DET vs LA vs NYR vs OTT)

Which team has the best prospect pool in hockey?

• Detroit Red Wings

• LA Kings

• New York Rangers

• Ottawa Senators

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jango Fett

Apr 10, 2018
Kings and Ottawa have a lot of high-caliber prospects, as a wings fan I would love to say were there but in truth were not. We have some guys who could be great but not many, and none a top 3 pick. If wings can win the lottery it should help. Otherwise, I see a lot of middling guys on that list who have a long ways to go in terms of development.

Reactions: Bileur

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's saying that there are 3 lottery picks each year, and if you are selected to be in the top 3, you are a winner of the lottery.

I think most people would typically call the winner of the #1 overall pick the "winner". It's semantics.

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Its actually SJ’s ball that was pulled for the 3rd overall pick while having the third best odds. Ottawa’s pick has dropped down for the past 3 drafts.

Reactions: NyQuil and Xspyrit

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's saying that there are 3 lottery picks each year, and if you are selected to be in the top 3, you are a winner of the lottery.

I think most people would typically call the winner of the #1 overall pick the "winner". It's semantics.

No kidding. I wanted to damn well WIN the lottery, not "win" 3rd overall. Nevermind that 3 looks f***ing wicked right now, I wanted to WIN.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I won't complain, but I'm trying to understand his thinking. I know he's not a fan of Schneider, and not a huge fan of Kravtsov. Maybe he's upgraded Miller a lot in the last few weeks. I would still think that Raymond+Seider>Lafreniere+the second listed Ranger. These lists are usually about whose highest end prospects are the best.

Who knows though? The fact that we are still ranking so high on these lists says a lot about the drafting in recent drafts after the first round. To draft prospects like Jones, Pajuniemi, Barron, Wall, Berard, Skinner after the first two rounds says we are doing pretty well in the mid/late rounds of late.
Top-2 are LA and NYR (order not yet available).

I swear to f***ing God, if the Rangers go through this whole rebuild only to lose to the Kings again in the SCF, I am quitting hockey.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No kidding. I wanted to damn well WIN the lottery, not "win" 3rd overall. Nevermind that 3 looks f***ing wicked right now, I wanted to WIN.

Yeah, and we wanted to move up in the last 4 lotteries, not move back.

You guys got Stutzle at 3, I honestly have no clue what you are complaining about here. You guys (albeit SJs pick) did "win" the lottery this year. We have never done so, and have dropped in 4 consecutive drafts.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, and we wanted to move up in the last 4 lotteries, not move back.

You guys got Stutzle at 3, I honestly have no clue what you are complaining about here. You guys (albeit SJs pick) did "win" the lottery this year. We have never done so, and have dropped in 4 consecutive drafts.
Not complaining, my definition of winning the lottery is getting 1st overall. We're lucky we got a great player at 3, i acknowledged that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I won't complain, but I'm trying to understand his thinking. I know he's not a fan of Schneider, and not a huge fan of Kravtsov. Maybe he's upgraded Miller a lot in the last few weeks. I would still think that Raymond+Seider>Lafreniere+the second listed Ranger. These lists are usually about whose highest end prospects are the best.

Who knows though? The fact that we are still ranking so high on these lists says a lot about the drafting in recent drafts after the first round. To draft prospects like Jones, Pajuniemi, Barron, Wall, Berard, Skinner after the first two rounds says we are doing pretty well in the mid/late rounds of late.
Yeah it was a little weird because he had 2 Wings prospect in the "top tier" of his pool breakdowns while both Sens and Rangers had only 1 in that tier (Stutzle/Lafreniere). Even though those tier system seemeed to be pool-specific in his description, I guess he did put a lot of weight in the depth of the pools also.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah it was a little weird because he had 2 Wings prospect in the "top tier" of his pool breakdowns while both Sens and Rangers had only 1 in that tier (Stutzle/Lafreniere). Even though those tier system seemeed to be pool-specific in his description, I guess he did put a lot of weight in the depth of the pools also.

Having read it, it seems like he really likes Nils Lundkvist, which I cannot disagree with. I'm excited to see what he can do next season (maybe this season) in the NHL. And K'Andre's taken an obvious step forward, which I wasn't sure how much he'd account for. I'd give the Wings the depth advantage because you guys have been rebuilding the last year, meanwhile we've shifted to something in-between winning now and rebuilding, and probably lost 2-3 extra draft picks that would've been in the system had we traded Kreider and Fast at the trade deadline last year.

I'm not against the idea of ranking based on the top-end talent. In fact, thats how I'd rank it. And I personally would rank Seider+Raymond>Lafreniere+Lundkvist/Miller, especially given Lafreniere doesn't really look as good so far as expected.

But saying all that, I think the Kings at 1 is the right call. I don't think its remotely close between them and the rest of the league.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wings were just ranked 4th by Athletic. I think they deserve to be in that conversation.

Looking at graduations I think Wings will be a contender for #1 this summer.

I think the wings will likely be the top contender for first in the offseason. Ottawa especially will graduate basically everyone of their top guys, the rangers lose Laffy etc.

But reading those rankings I have no clue how you can have Raymond ranked over Seider right now. Theyre both high end prospects but Seiders season has been pretty ridiculous so far this year. Hes the best prospect in the world not in the NHL right now

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think the wings will likely be the top contender for first in the offseason. Ottawa especially will graduate basically everyone of their top guys, the rangers lose Laffy etc.

But reading those rankings I have no clue how you can have Raymond ranked over Seider right now. Theyre both high end prospects but Seiders season has been pretty ridiculous so far this year. Hes the best prospect in the world not in the NHL right now

Oof, don’t know if I’d go that far. He’s had a solid season but not everyone is playing. I wouldn’t take him over Drysdale or Sanderson

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
detroit would f***ing laugh at you if you offered to trade either for Seider

I don’t think there’s much of a difference to their prospect level, maybe their overall style of games. Remember, Seider is a year older. In his D+1 season he didn’t exactly light the world on fire with 20 points in the AHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oof, don’t know if I’d go that far. He’s had a solid season but not everyone is playing. I wouldn’t take him over Drysdale or Sanderson

Meh, you havent paid attention to what hes doing in the SHL this year clearly. Seider is basically what you hope Sanderson becomes in 3 or 4 years at this point.

You wanna talk about production... how about Sanderson putting up the third most points on his team for dmen in the NCAA with 6 vs Seider with the 2nd highest points per game for dmen in the entire SHL at the age of 19. At 19 hes likely the most dominant player in the 3rd or 4th best pro league in the world. And that 2nd best points per game is for a guy who got drafted 6th overall for how good his defensive game is and the offense was considered questionable

Seider is the clear best defensive prospect in the world. Drysdale and Sanderson would be in that next group but Seider has had a big enough season to separate from them. The only guy I would put with Seider is possibly Byfield not in the NHL and thats iffy to say considering his back to back pretty weak world juniors

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Meh, you havent paid attention to what hes doing in the SHL this year clearly. Seider is basically what you hope Sanderson becomes in 3 or 4 years at this point.

You wanna talk about production... how about Sanderson putting up the third most points on his team for dmen in the NCAA with 6 vs Seider with the 2nd highest points per game for dmen in the entire SHL at the age of 19. At 19 hes likely the most dominant player in the 3rd or 4th best pro league in the world. And that 2nd best points per game is for a guy who got drafted 6th overall for how good his defensive game is and the offense was considered questionable

Seider is the clear best defensive prospect in the world. Drysdale and Sanderson would be in that next group but Seider has had a big enough season to separate from them. The only guy I would put with Seider is possibly Byfield not in the NHL and thats iffy to say considering his back to back pretty weak world juniors

I mean, I’d hope Sanderson would be in the NHL in 3-4 years. Just saying.

I take it this is a really sensitive topic for Wings fans, and I haven’t seen Seider play a lot. I get why it would be, by the way, with the Wings luck. The whole draft lottery, Zadina situation, Raymond’s WJC. You need one of your prospects to be good.

But you’re comparing a D+2 season to a D+1 season, which is huge, especially for defensemen. As I said, Seider wasn’t doing anything special last year.

Sanderson is a defense first defenseman. He had an awesome WJC where he won Gold for the USA playing huge minutes in the Gold Medal Game, where he was swallowing up anything that came near him. Ottawa is very happy with his development post-draft, and for good reason.

Christien

May 1, 2010

I take it this is a really sensitive topic for Wings fans, and I haven’t seen Seider play a lot. I get why it would be, by the way, with the Wings luck. The whole draft lottery, Zadina situation, Raymond’s WJC. You need one of your prospects to be good.

But you’re comparing a D+2 season to a D+1 season, which is huge, especially for defensemen. As I said, Seider wasn’t doing anything special last year.

Sanderson is a defense first defenseman. He had an awesome WJC where he won Gold for the USA playing huge minutes in the Gold Medal Game, where he was swallowing up anything that came near him. Ottawa is very happy with his development post-draft, and for good reason.
I think that you're really overlooking how good Seider was last year. By the end of the season he was the go-to, all situations guy for Grand Rapids as an 18 year old. He was also fantastic in the WJC, in which I believe that he was only scored against like 2 times for the entire tournament all while logging an absurd amount of minutes for them. If last season wouldn't have been cut short, there's no doubt he would be on the Red Wings.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Lol this post just reeks of insecurities. Ottawa has good prospects, Seider is just better than them. The "Zadina situation" is that hes already one of Detroits better players? Not sure where youre going with that.. Same with Raymonds world junior, he was a bit snake bitten to start but had the best advanced stats in the tourney and showed up in their most important game. You didnt have to say you havent seen Seider play a lot, your posts just confirmed it. Compare Sandersons draft+1 to Seiders and still doesnt come close really. Seider was better offensively in the AHL than Sanderson is on a stacked college team and dominated the world juniors at a level that Sanderson couldnt come close to really.

At least you dont have to worry about Sanderson putting up numbers like Sedier so Melnyk might still be able to afford him alongwith 2 of Stutzle, Chabot and Tkachuk down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->