Prospect Info: Best prospect - How to vote?

What determines a prospect?

• A) NHL-rookie rule, under 25 NHL games

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • B) waiver-eligibility

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • C) either A or B, player belongs on the voting

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • D) something else. please inform?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People were asking to start a new prospect voting.

I can do those threads, but before starting, I'd like to ask in a poll, which would be considered as a prospect? It's not as easy to say who's considered or not. People's views are different.

First of all, the age limit for any voted player will be 24 or under. (this enables Ryan Kuffner in the mix)

A) NHL-rookie rule, under 25 NHL games
B) waiver-eligibility
C) if A or B, = player belongs on the voting

Some players have those games gone over 25, but are still waiver eligible.
Some players are not waiver eligible, but have less than 25 NHL games.

This is the problem.

If I use ONLY that NHL rookie game-limit, all Rasmussen, Ehn, Cholowski and Hronek would be graduated, not considered anymore as prospects.

If I use ONLY that waiver-eligibility status, all those four would be included in the voting, but player like Dominic Turgeon won't.

Or, if I use a combination, if A or B happens, player like Turgeon is included in the voting, and Ras, Ehn, Hronek and Cholo would also be in.

Which would be better way?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hronek is not a prospect anymore. He's up full time. He just won the best Dman at the WC w/11 pts, next best was OEL with 8pts. I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people this year. I think Blash should stick with the DDK-Hronek 2nd pairing, they played well together, have chemistry. Nemeth can be our #4, paired with Green.

#1 Propect=Zadina & Veleno
#2=Cholo & Seider
#3=Ras
#4=McIssac & Berggren
#5=Svech & Lindstrom

So Hronek (46 NHL games) isn't a prospect anymore, but Cholowski (52 games) and Rasmussen (62 NHL games) are?

This is the dilemma.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
For me if we still don't really know what we have then I consider them a prospect. Rasmussen for example played basically a whole season in the NHL however, he is still very much a work in progress, and likely going to play in GR for a good portion of the year. Cholo is in the same spot, and Hronek could start the year looking amazing or start slow, and get sent back down. so for me they are all still prospects.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So Hronek (46 NHL games) isn't a prospect anymore, but Cholowski (52 games) and Rasmussen (62 NHL games) are?

This is the dilemma.
Yes, because it's not where you start, but how you finish. So unless Hronek regresses (unlikely), as he's solidified a top 4 spot b/w the NHL & WC last year, then he is not a prospect. Cholo & Ras are borderline prospects but it was evident they need more seasoning, possibly/probably some GR, imho.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

This is the dilemma.
McDavid only played 45 games his rookie year, don't think he was a prospect anymore at that point, and he was 19 when the next season started.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For me if we still don't really know what we have then I consider them a prospect.

This is a great point.

Also answers that McDavid question... McDavid scored 1.07 points on those first 45 games, so quite easily we knew that he isn't anymore a prospect. He was great instantly when the gates opened.

But do we really know about Hronek/Cholowski/Rasmussen?

Should we just vote about a best young player and forget that prospect -term?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I used to use the NHL rookie status in terms of games when I did these.

The league views you as a veteran ineligible to win the Calder so for me that is when you're no longer a prospect. Still tons of development left, but that is at least how I look at it.

Reactions: ealong59

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I'd say they have to be an established NHL regular to not be a prospect. Hronek is our best dman and will be on the opening day roster. Cholo and Ras/Ehn both have question marks regarding if they will be in the NHL to start, so they would count as prospects imo.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
For me if we still don't really know what we have then I consider them a prospect. Rasmussen for example played basically a whole season in the NHL however, he is still very much a work in progress, and likely going to play in GR for a good portion of the year. Cholo is in the same spot, and Hronek could start the year looking amazing or start slow, and get sent back down. so for me they are all still prospects.
I agreed with all that except for the Hronek thing. I think he is primed to be on the first pair to start the year and finish the year there and being on the first pair for the Czech WC team at the end of the season. I feel he is graduated.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I used to use the NHL rookie status in terms of games when I did these.

The league views you as a veteran ineligible to win the Calder so for me that is when you're no longer a prospect. Still tons of development left, but that is at least how I look at it.

That's the only way to do it objectively. Otherwise you end up in a grey area. Set a hard cut off for NHL games and keep it simple as that.

Doesn't mean a player not listed isn't our best potential young gun, but it keeps a nice tidy list of prospects in the system rather than on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here are the Voting results from last summer (2018).

1. RW - Filip Zadina, 93.2%
2. C/LW - Michael Rasmussen, 63.0%
3. RD - Filip Hronek, 64.9%
4. LD - Dennis Cholowski, 60.0%
5. C - Joe Veleno, 47.7%
6. W - Jonatan Berggren, 60%
7. W - Evgeny Svechnikov, 76.4%
8. LD - Jared McIsaac, 40.2%
9. RD - Gustav Lindström, 43.9%
10. RD - Vili Saarijärvi 25%
11. LD - Joe Hicketts 25.3%
12. G - Filip Larsson 23%
13. RD - Alec Regula 29%
14. W - Givani Smith 25%
15. LD - Libor Sulak, 22.5%
16. LD - Malte Setkov, 19.7%
17. C - Dominic Turgeon, 33,3%
18. LW - David Pope, 25,9%
19. LD - Kasper Kotkansalo, 36.7%
20. W - Otto Kivenmäki, 27%
21. F - Axel Holmström, 20%
22. C - Chase Person, 12%

Funny how Christoffer Ehn wasn't at all on that TOP20 list, or even on the group of last TOP9 we voted. So people thought there was 29 better prospects than him.

And then he came from Frölunda to AHL, was the for 17 games and then straight to NHL.

That's how good we know. :)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hronek isn't a prospect because he's shown he's NHL ready. Ras and Cholo both belong in the minors for the majority of next season (if not all of it) they are in my mind still prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad