Best pranks have you seen/done in rec/minor league

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Curious to hear some unique rink pranks other than the classic clear tape on the skate blades and loose water bottle lid.

When I was in college I played in an intramural league with my roommates and buddies. Our jerseys were plain bright yellow with bold black lettering.

One of my roommates was #8 and since we all lived together we all put our bags in the garage. So one night we snuck into his bag and with black sock tape we taped on a shaft shape extended horizontal and to the right of the 8 with a mushroom-type head at the end of it, threw it back in his bag and crossed our fingers for game day.

In the dressing room next game the entire team was keeping a nervous eye on him while he got ready. To our excitement he threw on his jersey without looking at the back of it and when we got on the ice everyone kept an impressive amount of composure.

And to our even more excitement the refs, being random refs for a meaningless rec league game, didn't say anything about his number being against regulation or anything.

Mike played the entire game with that one-eyed monster on his back and we let him know just that in the dressing room after the game.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
My goalie was my best friend, so every game I'd squirt water inside his glove or blocker. He'd always be surprised when he stuck his hand in, because he always thought he kept his eyes on me well enough.

Same guy, put tasteless/odorless hot sauce in the water bottle.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Covering someone's blades with clear sock tape and snipping laces are classics.

My favorite one that I'd seen was, incidentally, done against a major prankster for my college's team. He always placed his wallet and keys in a water bottle at his stall. One player, I have no idea who, hid the wallet and keys and put water in it. Player grabs bottle, opens it, pours it upside down, gets wet.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
My goalie was my best friend, so every game I'd squirt water inside his glove or blocker. He'd always be surprised when he stuck his hand in, because he always thought he kept his eyes on me well enough.

Same guy, put tasteless/odorless hot sauce in the water bottle.

Tasteless hot sauce?

How can you tell? :laugh:

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
One time a team asked me to be a fill-in player to help sure up their roster.

I was the only one who showed up to every game and we consistently had 4-5 skaters every week and lost every game of the season. That was a hell of a prank they pulled on me.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Reactions: Ozz

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
One time a team asked me to be a fill-in player to help sure up their roster.

I was the only one who showed up to every game and we consistently had 4-5 skaters every week and lost every game of the season. That was a hell of a prank they pulled on me.

Lol. I serve as a ringer on a team like that. Hey it's free hockey, usually play the whole game on defense. The rink is a nice 10 minute drive up the parkway from me so I'm all for it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Lol. I serve as a ringer on a team like that. Hey it's free hockey, usually play the whole game on defense. The rink is a nice 10 minute drive up the parkway from me so I'm all for it.
I was pretty out of shape, so I couldn't really do that. I was expecting to throw in a few extra shifts here and there and help them fill out, not be the only dedicated guy on the team, lol.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Damn, that is brutal. I'd hate to be out there looking for clean water and getting hit with that heat. Didn't even know it existed!

Especially if you're the type of guy to squirt water on your eyes to get the sweat out.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
One of my local rinks played a prank on me...kind of.

It was a rink ive skated on hundreds of times prior, but this time it was just summer ball hockey on feet. Well I guess the difference of an inch or two of ice made it enough that upon stepping foot onto the cement I became immediately disoriented and had to take a knee. I was dizzy, things started spinning and I was confused from the difference of some place that was home to me for so long.

Weird experience

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
The skate tape one is a classic - especially if you just get one of the skates. With any luck, they push off on the other foot, and by the time they go down, they're in the middle of the rink! A kid on the team I coach had it done to him, and I was pretty shocked at how hard it was to get it all off. It was just coming free in tiny, tiny pieces...

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
The skate tape one is a classic - especially if you just get one of the skates. With any luck, they push off on the other foot, and by the time they go down, they're in the middle of the rink! A kid on the team I coach had it done to him, and I was pretty shocked at how hard it was to get it all off. It was just coming free in tiny, tiny pieces...
Goo-gone. Don't ask me how I know.

Reactions: JoeCool16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->