Best Power Forward prospects

Checker*

David Backes continues to be the most underrated prospect around these boards.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
Actually, that's still to be decided. They WANT to try him at defense, but they also recognize the benefits of a 6'7 C down the middle.

Boyle really to me just doesn't have the killer instinct enough to really be considered a PF. That's why I'd leave him off.

It's hard to tell when a guy plays at the college level. I have seen Boyle over a dozen times this past year live, and I can honestly see him be a #2/3 line center in the same model as someone like Jon Madden from The Devils. He plays a great two way game, and he always seemed to mix it up a little when playing BU.
He played top mins on the PP and PK as a defensemen, I personally would play him as a center, and if he isn't fast enough for the NHL game try him at Defense.

Power Forward? Maybe... Only time will tell when he plays in Manchester.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It's hard to tell when a guy plays at the college level. I have seen Boyle over a dozen times this past year live, and I can honestly see him be a #2/3 line center in the same model as someone like Jon Madden from The Devils. He plays a great two way game, and he always seemed to mix it up a little when playing BU.
He played top mins on the PP and PK as a defensemen, I personally would play him as a center, and if he isn't fast enough for the NHL game try him at Defense.

Power Forward? Maybe... Only time will tell when he plays in Manchester.

You're right. Hard to really gauge in the college game. But, I did not see him ever really trying to hurt anyone with his hits. That could be because even with a normal hit he was prone to get whistled because of his height vs the avg height of college players. We'll see.

So far in camp he's been playing D, and looking pretty good from what I've heard. I would prefer him at C as well, as at his age it's going to be a lot harder to learn a whole new position. But what can I say, they must see something about him there.

Toyboat

Mar 4, 2007
:teach:
Matt Marquardt?

A project for sure, but he made strides last season.

Marquardt is for sure a good power forward.

He was very dominant going wide on most D in the Q.

Some nights he just bulled his way through the neutral zone and along the boards.

He was Moncton's leading scorer last year and scored some really big goals among his 41.

Check out some of the video highlites on his player profile on the Wildcat website.

"moncton-wildcats.com"

Columbus will have a few power forwards with Jared Boll and Tom Sestito to go along with Marquardt.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
:teach:

Marquardt is for sure a good power forward.

He was very dominant going wide on most D in the Q.

Some nights he just bulled his way through the neutral zone and along the boards.

He was Moncton's leading scorer last year and scored some really big goals among his 41.

Check out some of the video highlites on his player profile on the Wildcat website.

"moncton-wildcats.com"

Columbus will have a few power forwards with Jared Boll and Tom Sestito to go along with Marquardt.

Derek "Flying Elbow" Dorsett...

Toyboat

Mar 4, 2007
Dorsett

Dorsett is more of a pest, D'arcy Tucker or Dale Hunter type.

Not afraid of anyone though. He would drop the gloves at any time.

Not as big as the other 3 Columbus prospects.

Doesn't have the size to be called a powerforward.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Dorsett is more of a pest, D'arcy Tucker or Dale Hunter type.

Not afraid of anyone though. He would drop the gloves at any time.

Not as big as the other 3 Columbus prospects.

Doesn't have the size to be called a powerforward.

May not have the scoring touch of some of the other guys, but I wouldn't but Boll, Sestito, or Marquardt amongst the other guys on this list either...and I'm a Jacket fan.

Randall Graves*

Unfortunately the term power forward is changing in the increasingly ********* 'new' NHL. The way it is now is a big guy who can hit and has skill and uses his body to protect the puck. Standing in front of the net on the PP doesn't make you one because some of the best like to work off the walls and utilize their playmaking. I would like to see more guys who are deemed power forwards fight more.

But then you always get certain people who use the 'we don't want him in the box for five minutes' argument and don't see the long term benefits of fighting establishing a nastiness to ones game.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
People are using the watered down -definition of a powerforward here. Of the names I've seen here, only a few are TRUE powerforwards in the mold of Neely, Tocchet, Shanny, Tkachuk and Lindros.

It's not enough that you're big and can protect the puck. You need to have the intimidation factor in your game as well, you need to have a mean streak and want to crush your opponents physically as well. And yes, you need to be able to go toe-to-toe with just about every non-enforcer in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad