Best pound per pound fighter in the nhl

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Rypien was good, but didn't do too well against legit HW's. I remember him getting dropped by Carkner and losing to Neil. Very entertaining fighter, though.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Every fight ive saw Nurse in he has won other than the Bennett one(never saw agaisnt Horvat).

Other than when he jumped Polak, what fights have you seen him in? Like I said, he took losses to Bennett (remember the guy who was made fun of for not being able to do a pull up at the combine) and Horvat (who was in his first ever fight). Haley knocked him around easily, and so did Lucic, who had no interest in the fight. Earlier this year he was on the wrong end of a tussle against the Stars. Considering how he essentially jumped Horvat, and still lost, I'm sure he has one or two fights in his past where he did the same to another non-fighter and didn't get beat. But that doesn't make him tough.

With guys like Josh Manson and Adam McQuid in the league, to even suggest Nurse is on the same, or even close to the same level is pure ignorance. A pissed off McQuiad would literally end Nurse's career.

Top Five Fights & Moments of Adam McQuaid's Bruins Career

Reactions: leetch99

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Other than when he jumped Polak, what fights have you seen him in? Like I said, he took losses to Bennett (remember the guy who was made fun of for not being able to do a pull up at the combine) and Horvat (who was in his first ever fight). Haley knocked him around easily, and so did Lucic, who had no interest in the fight. Earlier this year he was on the wrong end of a tussle against the Stars. Considering how he essentially jumped Horvat, and still lost, I'm sure he has one or two fights in his past where he did the same to another non-fighter and didn't get beat. But that doesn't make him tough.

With guys like Josh Manson and Adam McQuid in the league, to even suggest Nurse is on the same, or even close to the same level is pure ignorance. A pissed off McQuiad would literally end Nurse's career.

Top Five Fights & Moments of Adam McQuaid's Bruins Career
Apparently i have only seen the fights he won and the Benny one. Bennett also had a shoulder that required surgery and like 8 months of rehab, dudes a strong kid nonetheless, losing a scrap to him isnt an indicator of being weak.

Went back and watched some other fights since and have changed my opinion. Also how is Simmonds only 185... Thought he was atleast 200..

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Very hard to qualify pound for pound. As a scenario take a hypothetical fight between Stan Jonathan and Milan Lucic. Who would benefit more, Stan with an extra 55lbs and taller by 7" or Lucic being 7" shorter and 55lbs lighter?
That said, for me, all time is a very close call between Jonathan and Domi. Imo Domi edges out Stan on this one. Honorable mention to Wendel Clark.
Current NHL, I still think no one can beat Lucic although Mcquaid is also a beast.
Honorable mentions for the old days, John Ferguson, Tony Twist, John Kordic, Bob Probert, Georges Laraque, Todd Ewen and Derek Boogard.
Honorable mentions for current NHL, Reaves and Byfuglien,

surfinghb

Sep 24, 2019
All time, clear winner is Stan Jonathon. 5'8, 175 lbs. Could hold his own and throw with anyone. Wilson, Shultz, Nilan .. you name it. Giving up sometimes 35 plus pounds

Reactions: Finster8

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
All time, clear winner is Stan Jonathon. 5'8, 175 lbs. Could hold his own and throw with anyone. Wilson, Shultz, Nilan .. you name it. Giving up sometimes 35 plus pounds

5' 8" 175lb in the 1970's is not 5' 8" 175 today. Schultz and Nilan would be massacred by Laraque or Chris Simon.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Very hard to qualify pound for pound. As a scenario take a hypothetical fight between Stan Jonathan and Milan Lucic. Who would benefit more, Stan with an extra 55lbs and taller by 7" or Lucic being 7" shorter and 55lbs lighter?
That said, for me, all time is a very close call between Jonathan and Domi. Imo Domi edges out Stan on this one. Honorable mention to Wendel Clark.
Current NHL, I still think no one can beat Lucic although Mcquaid is also a beast.
Honorable mentions for the old days, John Ferguson, Tony Twist, John Kordic, Bob Probert, Georges Laraque, Todd Ewen and Derek Boogard.
Honorable mentions for current NHL, Reaves and Byfuglien,
Really? I absolutely disagree with Byfuglien. The guy is a big boy, but 9/10 times he bear hugs you to the ice or there's 2-3 punches thrown and they fall. To me he's a super strong guy, but not really a fighter.

Right now the 3/4 best fighters in the NHL are Reaves, Johnston, Lucic & McQuaid in my opinion.

Reactions: vandymeer13

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
90% of the time people say "pound for pound" they list a super small guy who fights well. That to me means basically nothing, Rypien gets brought up a lot but I think Stan Jonathan would have dust him up pretty good.

I always try to imagine everyone at the same height and weight when i'm determining the best P4P and honestly, it's still hard to go against the Proberts, Twists, Kocur's etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was always partial to Darren Langdon. He's listed at a VERY generous 6'0", but he could hang with any heavyweight.
Langdon fights are long and fun to watch. He could hang with anyone. Very game and technical. I would love to make a list of best technical fighters. Sometimes watching a guy that is not the hardest puncher, but one that could beat you technically is more fun.

I still say the best figher pd for pd was George Mcphee. At 5'9 170 lbs he stood up to the games toughest heavyweights, and not only held his own, but often won.
Mcphee 5.9 170 vs Dave Brown 6'5 210

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
90% of the time people say "pound for pound" they list a super small guy who fights well. That to me means basically nothing, Rypien gets brought up a lot but I think Stan Jonathan would have dust him up pretty good.

I always try to imagine everyone at the same height and weight when i'm determining the best P4P and honestly, it's still hard to go against the Proberts, Twists, Kocur's etc.

That's a fair point. I'm not sure what the "ideal" height and weight is for a heavyweight, but when this topic comes up I typically envision a world where everyone is about 6'2", 230-240, which is probably close to what Twist and Probert came in at.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Langdon fights are long and fun to watch. He could hang with anyone. Very game and technical. I would love to make a list of best technical fighters. Sometimes watching a guy that is not the hardest puncher, but one that could beat you technically is more fun.

I still say the best figher pd for pd was George Mcphee. At 5'9 170 lbs he stood up to the games toughest heavyweights, and not only held his own, but often won.

I don't remember George McPhee so I watched the video you posted of him getting absolutely crushed by Dave Brown. Not sure what point you were trying to make there about McPhee - other than he was willing to get ragdolled.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't remember George McPhee so I watched the video you posted of him getting absolutely crushed by Dave Brown. Not sure what point you were trying to make there about McPhee - other than he was willing to get ragdolled.
He was crushed by Brown? My suggestion is look at some of Mcphee's fights on youtube. That may change your tune.

Reactions: leetch99

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

Maybe you were watching something else. You don't know McPhee? Take a look.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Dennis Polonich at 5'6 165lbs had 301 PM in 75-76. He never backed down from anyone when you had to be tough to play and even more at 5'6.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Stan Jonathan also had an insane chin. That guy could take a serious shot and it wouldn't even move his head, haha. Much like Domi.

Man, that would have been a good one.

Reactions: Dingo

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Since we’re close to Halloween I thought I’d resurrect this thread.

For me - pound for pound - Chris “Knuckles” Nilan has gotta be up there...While in his prime throughout the ‘80s - he took on anyone...It was as though he was nuts, or loved the adrenaline rush, or both.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Seems like little PEI is the place to find a tough guy . They have put lots of tough guys in the NHL...or at least the most mentioned in this thread....from Al McAdam -McQuaid- Ross Johnston-Brett Gallant- and Darren Langdon/NFLD kid that played his junior in PEI....that is a decent handful of toughness. A few forgotten PEI tough guys would be Forbie Kennedy....and he would fit in the pound for pound category . Hilliard Graves....handled Shultz . The last 2 NB born but played junior on PEI . Last but not least Gerard Gallant another candidate for pound for pound .Up and comers in the AHL are Alex Gallant . Maybe if we get to the regional bubble play where teams face each other 7-8 times....we might see another arms race !!! That could be entertaining !!!

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018

thats just insane. what a chin on mcphee. id like to point out that he was clearly getting beaten when his buddy jumped in, but amazing simply to see a man that size choose to go toe to toe with Brown, and not get dropped immediately.

Rick Rypien for me, for this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad