Best possible Team Germany right now

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Will Pföderl be back for WC after his injury?

Not sure, he got injured on 10 April, and they suspected that he would miss 4-6 weeks. I have not heard any update since.
He would miss probably the entire training camp, so I don't know if Söderholm would risk it even if he is available.

Reactions: Bure80

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Dominik Bokk is doing great in AHL! Would be interesting to see him in WC.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Dominik Bokk is doing great in AHL! Would be interesting to see him in WC.

I have no inside information on this, but it seems like the DEB might be set on only taking players who are and have been active in Germany due to quarantine and Covid-related reasons.

A shame, considering players like Bokk, Michaelis, and Sturm are currently in North America and would likely be available by the time the WC is in swing.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have no inside information on this, but it seems like the DEB might be set on only taking players who are and have been active in Germany due to quarantine and Covid-related reasons.

A shame, considering players like Bokk, Michaelis, and Sturm are currently in North America and would likely be available by the time the WC is in swing.

I don't think Sturm would be available. I believe the playoffs will start around the same time or shortly before the World Championship and the Wild will be in the playoffs, and who knows how far they'll go. But even with a first round exit, considering that he would probably have to quarantine, I don't believe Sturm could even be an option. Which is too bad, because he just continues to improve his game every year and I would love to see him on the national team.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't think Sturm would be available. I believe the playoffs will start around the same time or shortly before the World Championship and the Wild will be in the playoffs, and who knows how far they'll go. But even with a first round exit, considering that he would probably have to quarantine, I don't believe Sturm could even be an option. Which is too bad, because he just continues to improve his game every year and I would love to see him on the national team.

The bolded was what I was thinking of when I inlcuded him with Bokk and Michaelis above.:)

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It really is a very exciting time in German ice hockey and like you, I can't remember a time I was more excited than over the past few years.

I've never seen this many legitimate options for the national team.

Alas, as you mention, Covid is hitting at the wrong time and could really put a little dent in this "Aufschwung". Sure, not really at the top pro level just now, but an entire wave of players just missed a winter of hockey. What effect will that have?

Germany is still behind Canada, USA, Russia, Finland and Czech thought and will probaly be it for a while. But Germany have surpassed Switzerland, Sweden and Slovakia for sure.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Right now:

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Bokk
Peterka - Sturm - Reichel
Michaelis - Macek - Kahun
Kuhnhackl - Hager - Rieder

M.Muller - Seider
Holzer - Gawanke
J.Muller - Wissman

Nor sure about the goalies.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Right now:

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Bokk
Peterka - Sturm - Reichel
Michaelis - Macek - Kahun
Kuhnhackl - Hager - Rieder

M.Muller - Seider
Holzer - Gawanke
J.Muller - Wissman

Nor sure about the goalies.
Grubauer, Niederberger, Strahlmeier in net.

I like the right side of that D group but not the left. Holzer was awful the last time I saw him for Germany. Not sure who I’d pick there instead though. I like Jonas Müller but over the next couple years we should see Münzenberger and someone like Mik there.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Grubauer, Niederberger, Strahlmeier in net.

I like the right side of that D group but not the left. Holzer was awful the last time I saw him for Germany. Not sure who I’d pick there instead though. I like Jonas Müller but over the next couple years we should see Münzenberger and someone like Mik there.

Other options on D:
Hüttl, Szuber, Karrer, Kälble or Huss.

A little further down the line:
Pasanen, Zimmermann, Dziambor, Glötzl or Geibel

I think the time for Holzer and also Moritz Müller is winding down.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
Would go for some different line combinations and just a few different names compared to Ra (if everybody would be available):

Michaelis - Draisaitl - Kahun

Probably the most "complete" line which could hold their own against top teams. Michaelis playing a great season in CH, which probably would earn him an NA contract if he would be 2 years younger. Kahun has great stats on a mediocre Bern team. Lets hope he returns from is injury soon. But you could put two anchors next to Draisaitl and it would be the best german line...

Reichel - Stützle - Peterka

The Line with the most potential, could become our marquee line in the next 3 years. They should have good chemistry from the U tournaments they played together. I think Stützle might even be a better 5on5 playmaker than Draisaitl but defenitly lacks experience and strenght. But Reichel and Peterka have the speed to match Stützles centering style

Bokk - Noebels - Ehliz

The DEL Line: I think they are the three best german forwards in Germany. Bokk needs to be in the team after this season, feels like he (and Brendan Ranford) are the only reason for Frankfurt being a playoff team right now. Noebels is still the best player on an underperforming Berlin Team. Could be Bokks national team equivalent to Ranford. Ehliz is a good enogh power forward to bring some physicality to the team and is also defensively reliable.

Rieder - Sturm - Kühnhackl

I would say that Sturm deserves more than the fourth line but this line would surely get a lot more ice-time because they can dominate weaker nations and play shut down minutes agains stronger teams. Would be the first PK-Unit for sure. All three players have NHL experience in this regard. Im not sure how much Rieder and Kühnhackl have left in the tank, but i love their effort for the national team.

Extras: Kammerer, Plachta, Schmölz

Best of the rest, can slot in on every line. Plachta is definitly an "Edeljoker", could for sure take the Ehliz position on the third line.

Notable Exceptions: Tiffels, Wolf, Hager, Fischbuch, Wohlgemuth, Stachowiak, Schinko, (Macek)

I don't believe that Macek is still considered for the national team, and not sure if he is that interested either. Don't think that he will play for Germany again. The rest play positions that are already filled. But would't be very happy with them on a normal WC roster.

That got a little longer than expected, would do the defense on a seperate post if my forward selections makes sense and if you would like to read them :DD

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Would go for some different line combinations and just a few different names compared to Ra (if everybody would be available):

Michaelis - Draisaitl - Kahun

Probably the most "complete" line which could hold their own against top teams. Michaelis playing a great season in CH, which probably would earn him an NA contract if he would be 2 years younger. Kahun has great stats on a mediocre Bern team. Lets hope he returns from is injury soon. But you could put two anchors next to Draisaitl and it would be the best german line...

Reichel - Stützle - Peterka

The Line with the most potential, could become our marquee line in the next 3 years. They should have good chemistry from the U tournaments they played together. I think Stützle might even be a better 5on5 playmaker than Draisaitl but defenitly lacks experience and strenght. But Reichel and Peterka have the speed to match Stützles centering style

Bokk - Noebels - Ehliz

The DEL Line: I think they are the three best german forwards in Germany. Bokk needs to be in the team after this season, feels like he (and Brendan Ranford) are the only reason for Frankfurt being a playoff team right now. Noebels is still the best player on an underperforming Berlin Team. Could be Bokks national team equivalent to Ranford. Ehliz is a good enogh power forward to bring some physicality to the team and is also defensively reliable.

Rieder - Sturm - Kühnhackl

I would say that Sturm deserves more than the fourth line but this line would surely get a lot more ice-time because they can dominate weaker nations and play shut down minutes agains stronger teams. Would be the first PK-Unit for sure. All three players have NHL experience in this regard. Im not sure how much Rieder and Kühnhackl have left in the tank, but i love their effort for the national team.

Extras: Kammerer, Plachta, Schmölz

Best of the rest, can slot in on every line. Plachta is definitly an "Edeljoker", could for sure take the Ehliz position on the third line.

Notable Exceptions: Tiffels, Wolf, Hager, Fischbuch, Wohlgemuth, Stachowiak, Schinko, (Macek)

I don't believe that Macek is still considered for the national team, and not sure if he is that interested either. Don't think that he will play for Germany again. The rest play positions that are already filled. But would't be very happy with them on a normal WC roster.

That got a little longer than expected, would do the defense on a seperate post if my forward selections makes sense and if you would like to read them :DD

Good stuff.

Lots of sound stuff. Very logical in a pure "Who are Germany's absolute top 12 options up front" format.

Aside from the 12 forwards mentioned as your selections, I'd have to say that I believe Plachta is, at the moment, the singlemost best German forward in the DEL. At the same time, I believe no player in the DEL - except for maybe Chris DeSousa - offers a better speed/playmaking combination than Freddy Tiffels. He's taken huge steps the past two seasons.

If I'm puting together a team Germany for a best-of-the-best tourney, I don't think I take Noebels and Ehliz ahead of those two. Naturally, there's good reason to, but my eye test in recent years has Plachta and Tiffels slightly ahead of them.

In fact, I'm not really convinced Michaelis is better than those two at this very juncture either, but that's just MHO.

Macek:
Yep, he's no longer in the picture. Ironically though, I think he's in the midst of his best ever KHL season. Interesting.

Last edited:

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
TBH I'm not super confident in defensive evaluations. I don't catch to many games apart from Cologne in the DEL so my choices on D are mostly from EP stats, but to complete my Line-Up:

Hüttl - Seider

Seider is a no-brainer of course, but you already get into difficulties if you look for a fitting LHD for the first line. I choose Hüttl cause he has good stats, is defensively sound and still has potential to grow. But Seider would probably still need to fill about 75% of the responsibilitys.

Brandt - Wissmann

From what i can tell Wissmann plays a good season in the AHL, maybe just not good enough to get a shot on avery strong Bruins team. And he played great in the last WC so i would put him as the second best defender for Germany. Brandt would play the offensive part in this tandem, which he can do like no other german in the DEL right now.

Daubner - Gawanke

Gawanke is a great offensive talent, but i always wonder why he didn't get a call up in the last 2 years. Might be to forget his own side of the ice a little to often. Daubner is really only there because his stats look fine and he is still on of the younger guys.

HM: Münzenberger, Szuber, Kälble, Fohrler

Can't really say anything about Münzenberger an Kälble cause i never watched them in the NCAA. I like Szuber a lot and he gets suprisingly much ice time in Munich. Fohrler played alwys well for us i thought.

Out: Holzer (to old), M.Müller (to old and to slow), J.Müller (bad season)

Goalies:

Grubauer
Niederberger
Brückmann, Franzreb, Tiefensee, Bugl

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
TBH I'm not super confident in defensive evaluations. I don't catch to many games apart from Cologne in the DEL so my choices on D are mostly from EP stats, but to complete my Line-Up:

Hüttl - Seider

Seider is a no-brainer of course, but you already get into difficulties if you look for a fitting LHD for the first line. I choose Hüttl cause he has good stats, is defensively sound and still has potential to grow. But Seider would probably still need to fill about 75% of the responsibilitys.

Brandt - Wissmann

From what i can tell Wissmann plays a good season in the AHL, maybe just not good enough to get a shot on avery strong Bruins team. And he played great in the last WC so i would put him as the second best defender for Germany. Brandt would play the offensive part in this tandem, which he can do like no other german in the DEL right now.

Daubner - Gawanke

Gawanke is a great offensive talent, but i always wonder why he didn't get a call up in the last 2 years. Might be to forget his own side of the ice a little to often. Daubner is really only there because his stats look fine and he is still on of the younger guys.

Can't really say anything about Münzenberger an Kälble cause i never watched them in the NCAA. I like Szuber a lot and he gets suprisingly much ice time in Munich. Fohrler played alwys well for us i thought.

Goalies:

Grubauer
Niederberger

Good ideas, like with your post on the forwards above.

Your right side is basically etched in stone.

What the left side will be is interesting in light of whoever the new coach will be.

As of right now, the DEB certainly isn't leaving M. Müller out of the equation. He's their leader and as long as he's still a decent yeoman on the ice (he's actually coming off his best ever offensive season too), his locker room and media presence is of too much importance. That the country doesn't have 8 Dmen who are just plain better than him in all ways, shapes and forms is a pretty big statement about how hard this country has had things when it comes to developing Dmen.

Also, not only is Jonas Müller still at a great age with lots of hockey in him, I don't think any coach coming in is going to leave out his recent years of successful play just because his worn out club (they've played a ton of hockey in recent years) has gone by the wayside for much of the season. Clearly, if we'd be talking about the men's WC next spring, yes, a guy like J. Müller could be given a "break" from DEB action, but if we're doing a best-on-best tournament, he's part of the equation.

Brandt has been an offensive Dman with some fascinating numbers in recent years, but is actually having his best season now. Not sure how a coaching staff would see his all-round game in a best-of-the-best scenario? Toni had left him at times in the past. Weber is a guy they really like and I think they'd have him there ahead of Hüttl, but Hüttl is certainly arriving just now and will be watched closely as a WC candidate.

Other names of players who are usual locks/candidates are Hördler, Nowak, Bittner, Reul, Wagner, and Krupp while younger players like Ugbekile, Karrer, Zimmermann, and Szuber will be getting longer looks over the next two years. Don't think any of these guys are a top 6 in a best-of-the-best tournament.

I honestly don't know enough about Fohrler to comment.

Münzenberger and maybe Kälble will be coming into question in the coming years. Not sure they're there yet.

The goaltenders look about right.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Hüttl - Seider

Brandt - Wissmann

Daubner - Gawanke

Goalies:

Grubauer
Niederberger

Good ideas, like with your post on the forwards above.

Your right side is basically etched in stone.

What the left side will be is interesting in light of whoever the new coach will be.

As of right now, the DEB certainly isn't leaving M. Müller out of the equation. He's their leader and as long as he's still a decent yeoman on the ice (he's actually coming off his best ever offensive season too), his locker room and media presence is of too much importance. That the country doesn't have 8 Dmen who are just plain better than him in all ways, shapes and forms is a pretty big statement about how hard this country has had things when it comes to developing Dmen.

Also, not only is Jonas Müller still at a great age with lots of hockey in him, I don't think any coach coming in is going to leave out his recent years of successful play just because his worn out club (they've played a ton of hockey in recent years) has gone by the wayside for much of the season. Clearly, if we'd be talking about the men's WC next spring, yes, a guy like J. Müller could be given a "break" from DEB action, but if we're doing a best-on-best tournament, he's part of the equation.

Brandt has been an offensive Dman with some fascinating numbers in recent years, but is actually having his best season now. Not sure how a coaching staff would see his all-round game in a best-of-the-best scenario? Toni had left him at times in the past. Weber is a guy they really like and I think they'd have him there ahead of Hüttl, but Hüttl is certainly arriving just now and will be watched closely as a WC candidate.

Other names of players who are usual locks/candidates are Hördler, Nowak, Bittner, Reul, Wagner, and Krupp while younger players like Ugbekile, Karrer, Zimmermann, and Szuber will be getting longer looks over the next two years. Don't think any of these guys are a top 6 in a best-of-the-best tournament.

I honestly don't know enough about Fohrler to comment.

Münzenberger and maybe Kälble will be coming into question in the coming years. Not sure they're there yet.

The goaltenders look about right.

The problem on our D is really that we have an overabundance of RDs. Hüttl is also a RD, so basically our 4 best defensemen (or 4 of our top 5) all play on the right side. I don't know who would be best suited to play on their off side, so no idea how to arrange them into pairings.
Fohrler is very interesting, but if I recall correctly (it has been a while since I saw him play) he is also playing on the right side, at least I am pretty sure he shoots right.
I am relly hoping Münzenberger and Szuber pan out, because we need more fresh blood on the left side.

Looking at all these players I noticed we could soon have a pretty imposing defense (guys like Mebus, Zerressen and Abeltshauser would make it even bigger/taller):
Tobias Fohrler - 195 cm / 6'5" - 105 kg / 231 lbs
Kai Wissmann - 194 cm / 6'4" - 94 kg / 207 lbs
Moritz Seider - 193 cm / 6'4" - 93 kg / 205 lbs
Maksymilian Szuber - 191 cm / 6'3" - 91 kg / 201 lbs
Luca Münzenberger - 190 cm / 6'3" - 90 kg / 198 lbs
Maximilian Glötzl - 189 cm / 6'2" - 95 kg / 209 lbs
Leon Gawanke - 186 cm / 6'1" - 90 kg / 198 lbs
Lukas Kälble - 185 cm / 6'1" - 93 kg / 205 lbs
Jonas Müller - 184 cm / 6'0" - 92 kg / 203 lbs
Leon Hüttl - 182 cm / 6'0" - 80 kg / 176 lbs

It's not like we haven't had big defensemen in the past, but unlike most of the big D we've had in the past most of the big gusy coming up right now are quite mobile and good skaters overall. Seider, Münzenberger, Szuber and Wissmann all fit that bill. Fohrler (last I saw him) was not a great skater, but also not really bad. Back then I would have said he was a decent skater for his size, but I don't know if that is still accurate.

As far as goaltenders go, I see two big omissions. At this point I have Pantkowski and Ancicka still ahead of Tiefensee and Bugl. Quapp seems to be coming up fast, but is still a bit behind the older guys. He could be in the mix in a few years, though.
Hendrik Hane might also get back in contention. He is playing really well for Krefeld (DEL2) and is just stuck behind Haukeland this season. I still see a bright future for him. He is still only 22 and won't turn 23 until the start of next season.

Sarcastic rant starts/ Finally, a personal comment on Marcel Brandt. I firmly believe that he is having this kind of season because I did not select him for my "Eismanager" team this season. It is always the same with him and Simon Sezemsky. They have great seasons, when I am not picking them, and they struggle when I do.
Even within a season, as soon as I drop them, their performance improves and if I pick them up, they either get hurt or disappear offensively. It's a conspiracy against me, I tell you. /sarcastic rant over. :banghead: :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Everyone knows that Germany have good forwards and goalies. But not much talk about how good the Ds are. Seider of course, but behind him there are very good players aswell.

I would take Germany d-core over all nations in the world not named Canada, USA, Russia and Finland.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
Everything behind Seider i would call mediocre on international level. Which isn't bad for non full strenght tournaments like a WHC to play for a QF spot. Sweden would be far ahead aswell obviously, and i would defenitly put the core of Czechia and Switzerland infront of Germany. Maybe we are on the same step as Slovakia right now, but they will jump ahead with their coming D-prospects.

In other news, Harold Kreis got announced as new Head Coach, and Alexander Sulzer as Assistant. Kreis is a good coach but im not that thrilled yet. Germany always needs to rely on the motivational and emotional factor to show up in big games. Krupp, Sturm and Söderholm were great at that, Kreis for me is someone who is more reserved. Sulzer is very inexperienced as a coach but maybe he has more of a link to to the players for exactly this issue.

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
With the regular season coming or approaching an end in many leagues, i made a list of players who i consider to be in the pool for Team Germany for any kind of men's play, may it be friendlies, WHC, Olympics or the WC of Hockey. I will differentiate the players by region and league and for DEL players by Team.

Bold = A-Team if available (Top 30 players)
Normal = Regular, maybe WHC appearance
Italics = Longshots (maybe friendlies, if U25 future Regular)
Blue = U25 players

NORTH AMERICA
NHL

Forwards: Draisaitl, Stützle, Peterka, Sturm
Defense:
Seider
Goal: Grubauer

AHL

F:
Reichel, Napravnik
D:
Gawanke, Wissmann

Rest NA

D:
Münzenberger, Kälble

EUROPE
SL,SHL

F: Michaelis, Kahun, Rieder, Kühnhackl
D: Fohrler
G: Simon Wolf

DEL
Munich

F: Ehliz, Eder, Hager, Tiffels, Lutz, Kastner, Schütz, Varejcka
D: Abeltshauser, Szuber, Daubner, Appendino
G: Niederberger, Allavena

Ingolstadt
F: Höfflin, Stachowiak, Henriquez-Morales
D: Hüttl, Wagner

Mannheim
F: Plachta, Eisenschmid, Wohlgemuth, Loibl, Bergmann
D: Holzer, Akdag, Pilu, Dziambor
G: Brückmann, Tiefensee

Straubing
F: Toumie, Samanski
D: Brandt, Zimmermann
G: Bugl

Wolfsburg
F: Schinko
D: Bittner
G: Strahlmeier

Cologne

F: Kammerer
D: Müller, Sennhenn, Glötzl
G: Pantkowski

Düsseldorf
F: Fischbuch, Eder Ehl, Blank, Eham
D: Ebner
G: Hane

Bremerhaven
D: Wirth
G: Franzreb

Nuremberg
F: Schmölz, Leonhardt, Lobach
D: Karrer, Weber
G: Treutle

Frankfurt
F: Bokk
D: Maginot

Berlin
F: Noebbels, Pföderl
D: J.Müller, Mik, Nowak
G: Ancicka

Schwenningen
F: Karachun, Elias
D: Huß
G: Cüpper

Iserlohn
F: Ziegler, Rutkowski
D: Bender, Ugbekile
G: Weitzmann

Augsburg
F: Soramies, Volek

DEL2
D: Tim Sezemsky
G: Quapp, Stettmer

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
@Draiseistu99 :
I like almost everything about that post, except maybe the contrast (choice of colors).;)
Nice piece of work, really appreciate it.

Personally, I would have added these guys to the list, especially if it is not strictly about this season, because some of these guys may have had a down season, but many of them have been in the mix in the past and may get more chances:

Rest NA:
F: Timo Bakos
D: Tommy Pasanen

DEL:
Berlin:
F: Bennet Roßmy, Manuel Wiederer

Mannheim:
F: Taro Jentzsch, Nico Krämmer

Wolfsburg:
F: Lucas Dumont, Fabio Pfohl
D: Björn Krupp

Iserlohn:
F: Yannick Proske, Sebastian Streu
D: Erik Buschmann

Frankfurt:
D: Daniel Wirt

Nürnberg:
F: Tim Fleischer

Schwenningen:
F: Phil Hungerecker, Daniel Neumann, Sebastian Uvira

Many of these guys are certainly arguable and not a big omission, but the bolded ones I would have on my list without any doubt.

Reactions: Draiseistu99

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023
@Draiseistu99 :
I like almost everything about that post, except maybe the contrast (choice of colors).;)
Nice piece of work, really appreciate it.

Personally, I would have added these guys to the list, especially if it is not strictly about this season, because some of these guys may have had a down season, but many of them have been in the mix in the past and may get more chances:

Rest NA:
F: Timo Bakos
D: Tommy Pasanen

DEL:
Berlin:
F: Bennet Roßmy, Manuel Wiederer

Mannheim:
F: Taro Jentzsch, Nico Krämmer

Wolfsburg:
F: Lucas Dumont, Fabio Pfohl
D: Björn Krupp

Iserlohn:
F: Yannick Proske, Sebastian Streu
D: Erik Buschmann

Frankfurt:
D: Daniel Wirt

Nürnberg:
F: Tim Fleischer

Schwenningen:
F: Phil Hungerecker, Daniel Neumann, Sebastian Uvira

Many of these guys are certainly arguable and not a big omission, but the bolded ones I would have on my list without any doubt.
Agree, Jentzsch, Krämmer and Fleischer should defenitly be on there. The others should be mentioned by my own standards, too. Probably got a little bit lazy going through the rosters of every team and compared them more to their teammates then all other players.

Very encouraging is the ammount of players in the age range of 20-24. Most of the "normal" development players in rhe DEL have their breakout season around 25-27 (Schmölz, Kammerer, Eder e.g.). If just a few of the U25 pan out like that we have a very solid pool of homegrown national team players.

Reactions: Maverick41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad