Konrad - Seider
J.Muller - Holzer
M.Muller - Gawanke
Y.Seidenberg - Sezemsky

Greiss
Grubauer
Niederberger

Strongest Germany ever?
Pretty good run at it.. Is Abeltshauser rated that highly though? Seems to be a fair amount of competition on the left side. Fabio Wagner and Ukebile are coming on. I love Seidenberg but i have to think his time is done with the National Team.

I was thinking Kahun on the left of Drai and perhaps Eisenschmid on the right.

Stutzle gives the second line a possession driver...that second line center role seems to be a bit of a black hole. I like Brooks Macek ...be nicer if Tim maybe took the center spot eventually. Kuhnackl could play on this line but it will be far better when Bokk, Peterka and Reichel reach up and grab these top 6 spots.

I prefer Rieder further down on a 3rd line..good pk and energy guy.

Is Pfoderl a top 6 or middle six candidate?

The rest of the guys you have are all candidates..all have a shot.. Sturm and Bergmann certainly fit somewhere.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Is Pfoderl a top 6 or middle six candidate?
Pföderl and Loibl I think would both be strong candidates.

It’s insane how big the quality gap is between offense and defense.
Indeed. But it's not the lack of defensive quality that we aren't used to, it's the possibility of having three NHL players centring the top 3 lines (Draisaitl-Stützle-Sturm), which is incredible. And once Peterka and Reichel join, probably sooner rather than later, it'll be insane compared to the past years/decades. The one player who definitely has a shot but I really don't like (and have heard way too many negative things about) is Dominik Bokk. Don't think he'll ever play a major role, especially not in the NHL.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
What would it look like?

I will give it a shoot.

Stützle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Kühnhackl - Macek - Reider
Michaelis - Sturm - Bergmann
Plachta - Noebels - Eisenschmid
Tiffels, Ehliz

Konrad - Seider
J.Muller - Holzer
M.Muller - Gawanke
Y.Seidenberg - Sezemsky

Greiss
Grubauer
Niederberger

Strongest Germany ever?
I would change Stützle for Kühnhackl in Line 2. Then you ve two impactful lines.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What about some veterans who are still going strong such as A.Barta, Festerling, D.Wolf, Gogulla, Marcel Muller, Pietta, F.Schütz and P.Reimer? No chance for any of them? Some experiance could be needed.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
What about some veterans who are still going strong such as A.Barta, Festerling, D.Wolf, Gogulla, Marcel Muller, Pietta, F.Schütz and P.Reimer? No chance for any of them? Some experiance could be needed.
Wolf maybe. The other ones no

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Let's optimistically say the obvious prospects pan out. Two years from now:

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Peterka
Michaelis - Sturm - Kahun
Reichel - Elias - Bokk
Kuhnackl - Bergmann - Rieder

(Plachta, Fischbuch, Norbels, Eisenschmid, Wiederer)

Gnyp - Seider
Holzer - Gawanke
Muller - Abeltshauser

Grubauer
Greiss
Bruckman

I really don't know anything about the unknown players here. This is based on paper scouting only. Regardless, that could be a really good top 9. Imagine all being available for a World Championship and loving to come together to prove a point. Would be cool.

The hockey world could certainly use another strong country and Switzerland's improvements kind of halted, so I really hope Germany continues to move forward.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I am pretty sure at least some of them have retired from the national team.

On defense I would definitely consider some of the following, though none of them would be a clear upgrade over the others mentioned above:
Tim Bender
Marcel Brandt
Bernhard Ebner
Lukas Kälble
Oliver Mebus
Marco Nowak
Fabio Wagner
Marcus Weber

Also Emil Quaas seems to have taken a big step this season.

On offense there are even more options that we could look at. For instance Julian Napravnik (like Kälble playing college hockey).
Also Manuel Wiederer, Mirko Höfflin, Valentin Busch, Tim Wohlgemuth, Tim Brunnhuber and, above all for me, Taro Jentzsch should be considered in the not so distant future.
Along with Andreas and Tobias Eder, Maximilian and Magnus Eisenmenger, Alexander Ehl, Marco Sternheimer and Yannik Valenti.
Obviously not all of them will become big contributors on the national team, but if just 1 in 4 of them makes it that gives us some decent depths at forward, because there are some others I haven't even mentioned.

Elite talent is still rare especially on defenese and in goal, but the depths has gotten much better overall.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
By the way how is Markus Eisenschmid not in the NHL by now?

Nope. Still very much in Mannheim and has a contract till 2023 (not that it means much when the NHL comes knocking ;)). Im pretty sure he missed a huge chunk of time last year due to injury as well...

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I am pretty sure at least some of them have retired from the national team.

On defense I would definitely consider some of the following, though none of them would be a clear upgrade over the others mentioned above:
Tim Bender
Marcel Brandt
Bernhard Ebner
Lukas Kälble
Oliver Mebus
Marco Nowak
Fabio Wagner
Marcus Weber

Also Emil Quaas seems to have taken a big step this season.

On offense there are even more options that we could look at. For instance Julian Napravnik (like Kälble playing college hockey).
Also Manuel Wiederer, Mirko Höfflin, Valentin Busch, Tim Wohlgemuth, Tim Brunnhuber and, above all for me, Taro Jentzsch should be considered in the not so distant future.
Along with Andreas and Tobias Eder, Maximilian and Magnus Eisenmenger, Alexander Ehl, Marco Sternheimer and Yannik Valenti.
Obviously not all of them will become big contributors on the national team, but if just 1 in 4 of them makes it that gives us some decent depths at forward, because there are some others I haven't even mentioned.

Elite talent is still rare especially on defenese and in goal, but the depths has gotten much better overall.

whats your take on Parker Tuomie?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Let's optimistically say the obvious prospects pan out. Two years from now:

Stutzle - Draisaitl - Peterka
Michaelis - Sturm - Kahun
Reichel - Elias - Bokk
Kuhnackl - Bergmann - Rieder

(Plachta, Fischbuch, Norbels, Eisenschmid, Wiederer)

Gnyp - Seider
Holzer - Gawanke
Muller - Abeltshauser

Grubauer
Greiss
Bruckman

I really don't know anything about the unknown players here. This is based on paper scouting only. Regardless, that could be a really good top 9. Imagine all being available for a World Championship and loving to come together to prove a point. Would be cool.

The hockey world could certainly use another strong country and Switzerland's improvements kind of halted, so I really hope Germany continues to move forward.

Justin Schütz has some potential too. Maybe even more than Elias and Bokk.

Reactions: Deas

Fabianski

Feb 5, 2021
What would it look like?

I will give it a shoot.

Stützle - Draisaitl - Kahun
Kühnhackl - Macek - Reider
Michaelis - Sturm - Bergmann
Plachta - Noebels - Eisenschmid
Tiffels, Ehliz

Konrad - Seider
J.Muller - Holzer
M.Muller - Gawanke
Y.Seidenberg - Sezemsky

Greiss
Grubauer
Niederberger

Strongest Germany ever?

What do you think about:

Stützle - Draisaitl - Macek/Eisenschmid
Reichel/Peterka - Kahun - Eisenschmid/Bokk
Kühnhackl - Sturm - Rieder ("Checking" Line)
Noebels - Michaelis - Bergmann
Tiffels - Hager - Plachta

Gawanke - Seider
J. Müller - Holzer
Abeltshauser - Brandt
M. Müller - Seidenberg

Grubauer
Niederberger
Hane

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
What do you think about:

Stützle - Draisaitl - Macek/Eisenschmid
Reichel/Peterka - Kahun - Eisenschmid/Bokk
Kühnhackl - Sturm - Rieder ("Checking" Line)
Noebels - Michaelis - Bergmann
Tiffels - Hager - Plachta

Gawanke - Seider
J. Müller - Holzer
Abeltshauser - Brandt
M. Müller - Seidenberg

Grubauer
Niederberger
Hane

I think you have roughly the right mix of players. Gawanke would likely be the right sided D on the 2nd pair.

Greiss is absolutely part of this team... don't let his play on a really awful team fool you.

I don't see Macek on a top line but could be on the 4th and used on the PP.

I do wonder if a player like Fishbuch will knock out a player like Bokk. There will be room for a couple of players in form on either forward or D.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Greiss has done enough harm to German hockey already, no sense in involving him as a backup at 35 when he can't even perform on the ice anymore.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With an eye on the national team over the next 3-5 years, I certainly wouldn't be too quick to leave Schütz, Wohlgemuth, Eder, and Tuomie out of the equation.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Greiss has done enough harm to German hockey already, no sense in involving him as a backup at 35 when he can't even perform on the ice anymore.

Actually, he's pretty damn good. Still. To this day.

He had a number of outstanding appearances for the Islanders in recent years and even this season, he's kept the Red Wings in games they should have been absolutely slaughtered in.

I agree that the DEB will probably leave him out of the equation with the 2017 likes being part of it, but at this very moment, he's probably the best overal goaltender from Germany save for Grubauer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad