Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
The most talented Russian prospects born
1982 - Frolov
1983 - Kovalchuk, Chistov
1984 - Zherdev
1985 - Ovechkin

All of them shoot right, although the majority of players shoot left. I think that is pretty curious stats.

Is there anything that makes right shooters speacial?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wayne Gretzky was a Lefty. However, Jarri Kurri(the highest scoring European ever, if I'm not mistaken) is a Righty. I'm a Right myself, so seeing guys like Kurri(one of my idols) and Trevor Linden(another one) being right-handed shots is pretty hunky dorey. Still, Gretzky was a lefty. That's a big statement.

~Canucklehead~

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
top offensive players now:

LEFT
Thornton
Forsberg
Sakic
Heatley
Jagr
Palffy
Modano
Kariya
Fedorov
Kovalev
Hossa
Naslund
Bertuzzi
Demitra
Mogilny

RIGHT
Lemieux
Iginla
Kovalchuk
Samsonov
Murray
Allison
Alfredsson
Sundin

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
He was commenting on Russian players, not top players in general. However, as far as that goes, I'd say coincidence. There probably are more rightys total but as far as the top Russians of late all being rightys, I'd say coincidence, nothing else.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
J-D said:
They know how to score, too.

Yes I have noticted that ;) but still curious.

Anyway here some more righties:

ALEXEI YASHIN
BRENDAN SHANAHAN
BRETT HULL
ERIC LINDROS
JOZEF STUMPEL
MILAN HEJDUK
Steve Yzerman
Teemu Selanne
VIKTOR KOZLOV
Nikolai Khabibulin :)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
My point was that for the players who shoots right is probably somehow easier to become top player. I suppose percentage of successful players noticably larger among right shooters.

KillToronto

I shoot right. Obviously all the best players shoot right.

hahaha. that was hilarious......right...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A trend I've always wondered about is that it seems to me that on average all the stickhandlers and good wristers tend to shoot left, while the heavy shooters go right. Anyone else notice this?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I can play both right handed and left handed.... I can also hit balls over the fence from both left and right handed. I can also write with both hands! oh well, that's why I'm the best!

MartinStLouis

Sep 3, 2003
DC Metro area
Visit site
3 best players ever:

Gretzky
Howe
Orr

ALL LEFT HANDED, truth is both hands have tons of snipers however their are more lefty snipers then righties, so all you righties convert to lefties domination! jk

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
MartinStLouis said:
3 best players ever:

Gretzky
Howe
Orr

ALL LEFT HANDED, truth is both hands have tons of snipers however their are more lefty snipers then righties, so all you righties convert to lefties domination! jk

Howe was right handed. So was Lemieux.

Only thing that is difference is the angles you shoot at. Righties have the great angle of up over the glove, while lefties have the stick side.

Of course is depends on position.

Only thing i know is that it is easier to shoot over the glove, than ot the stick side.

Skill still prevails.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
You're talking Russians and you DARE to suggest that Russian righties are better? :D If you didn't know, it has been tradition in Russia that the best players shoot left. They even encouraged young players to shoot left in hockey school. Why? Because they thought the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and since the right brain is responsible for creativity and artistry, they probably felt the players would be more creative (of course, there was probably not much scientific basis for that old tradition, and it's not like you only use the left side of the body if you shoot left). But as you can see, recent trends indicate that they no longer follow that old tradition as many of the young Russian stars are righties.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
dink182 said:
You're talking Russians and you DARE to suggest that Russian righties are better? :D If you didn't know, it has been tradition in Russia that the best players shoot left. They even encouraged young players to shoot left in hockey school. Why? Because they thought the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and since the right brain is responsible for creativity and artistry, they probably felt the players would be more creative (of course, there was probably not much scientific basis for that old tradition, and it's not like you only use the left side of the body if you shoot left). But as you can see, recent trends indicate that they no longer follow that old tradition as many of the young Russian stars are righties.
So is has nothing to do with most people are right handed and in hockey you want the stronger hand at the top of the stick.....

Triple Klutz

The best GOAL SCORERS shoot right and that's because the majority of players shoot left, meaning most centres shoot left and have a natural tendency to pass the puck to their right more instead of the more difficult backhand pass to their left winger. In other words, right wingers see the puck more and therefore generally score more than left wingers.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
MartinStLouis said:
3 best players ever:

Gretzky
Howe
Orr

As I said the majority of players are left shooters and there are a lot of good and bad players among them but right shooters seems have more chances to become someone special. I am not pointing that left shooters worse or there is larger amount of good right shooters, no, but looks like percentage of good players among right shooters higher than among left shooters.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
RandV said:
A trend I've always wondered about is that it seems to me that on average all the stickhandlers and good wristers tend to shoot left, while the heavy shooters go right. Anyone else notice this?

I think it depends of who the person is, left handed or right handed. If right handed player shoots right so yes probably stronger hand provides stronger shot. Not sure what handed person Kovalchuk is (I think right handed) but his wrist shot (from the right) is so strong and accurate.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
RandV said:

I've tried using both left and right handed sticks for a bit(I'm right handed). What I noticed is that when my stong(right hand) was at the bottom I almost instantly started shooting noticably harder. It also made it nearly impossible to stickhandle or make a pass. Part of it was because I wasn't used to it but alot of it was because my strong hand was lower on the on the stick and that restricted what I considered my natural range of motion.

Or in short yes.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
West said:
I've tried using both left and right handed sticks for a bit(I'm right handed). What I noticed is that when my stong(right hand) was at the bottom I almost instantly started shooting noticably harder. It also made it nearly impossible to stickhandle or make a pass. Part of it was because I wasn't used to it but alot of it was because my strong hand was lower on the on the stick and that restricted what I considered my natural range of motion.

Or in short yes.

Im right handed and shoot right... I tried to play left like a year when I started hockey and i was really bad, but when i changed to right it brougth my game in to whole new dimensions(at the tender age of 8 :)). I have a hard wrister and still I think im above average stickhandler... In my opinion defending(i could explain this in finnish better:)) the puck is easier when playing R(I can play as a lefty a bit nowadays)

Its just unnatural to play as a lefty :P

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
triggrman said:
So is has nothing to do with most people are right handed and in hockey you want the stronger hand at the top of the stick.....

That's sounds like a good reason. That old Russian theory was just a bit of trivia for everyone's reading pleasure.

The_Wiz

Apr 6, 2003
nova scotia
Visit site
Wayne Gretzky ....

1. Hockey - shot LEFT
2. Golf - Hits RIGHT, but PUTTS LEFT !!!

How come so many players that shoot left in hockey hit right in golf ????

When i was young i used to be left handed, but i was told/shown that the proper way to do things was with the right hand. So in elementary school, they made me write with my right hand. Did you know that originally left handed people were in the minority and because of that being left handed was thought to be a sign that a personb was possessed by the devil !!!!

So if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body....does that mean that only LEFT handed people are in their RIGHT MIND ??? ;) lol

Personally, i'm highly skilled and i type with BOTH hands !!! :)

hockeygunner

Crosby is a lefty(i think) and hes the greatest thing since sliced bread ( according to most posters on this board) :joker:
Its easier for lefties to break across to the stick side and score on there fore hand. Also lefties playing right wing are setting up for onetimes a lot eaier, like shanahan playing left wing when hes a righty shot. Idont think which hand you are makes you a better player, if you have the skills, you have the skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->