Best Players never to make the NHL

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
During the original 6 era, there were countless players who could have made the NHL during an expansion era. But there are some who were good enough to make the original 6 era rosters, but didn't due to injury, conscription, marriage etc.

Most of these examples are word of mouth type players, but I am sure there are a lot of HF posters who had uncles or grandfathers who played with these guys.

My contribution is a player named Tom "Tucker" Burlington. He played in the Owen Sound area at the end of his career and some around here say he was the best they had ever seen. One gentleman I know played on the same team as "Tommy" and he also played against Beliveau when he was in the minors in Quebec and put Burlington in the same class as him. Burlington had a great AHL career but never made the jump to the NHL due to an eye injury.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=16085

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Jobe.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2541

I'd heard about him in folklore over the years.

Finally got to see him play @ the 2004 Allan Cup in St. George de Beauce.

Like most of his 'Garaga' teammates, Jobe was surely taking under-the-table cash. The Garaga owners had made plans to become part of the fledgling NAHL in the next season...and they spared little expense recruiting the top Canadian Amateur players around, planning to win the Allan Cup, with an exclamation point, to help promote the new semi-pro league the following season. Trevor Jobe was older and maybe not even the best player on that team...but...tipped the scales around 230 & still an amazing force on the puck...and he could fight, too.

He was similar to Lemieux...but meaner...and maybe he was even mean to people who were supposed to be teammates...He could have been a towering force in the NHL...nevermind making it.

I heard a nasty rumour about a drunk driving incident where a family was wiped out & supposedly Jobe played a full season while being released from jail on game nights. Not sure if its true..:shakehead

Not sure how he never played in the NHL.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Trevor Jobe

Jobe.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2541

I'd heard about him in folklore over the years.

Finally got to see him play @ the 2004 Allan Cup in St. George de Beauce.

Like most of his 'Garaga' teammates, Jobe was surely taking under-the-table cash. The Garaga owners had made plans to become part of the fledgling NAHL in the next season...and they spared little expense recruiting the top Canadian Amateur players around, planning to win the Allan Cup, with an exclamation point, to help promote the new semi-pro league the following season. Trevor Jobe was older and maybe not even the best player on that team...but...tipped the scales around 230 & still an amazing force on the puck...and he could fight, too.

He was similar to Lemieux...but meaner...and maybe he was even mean to people who were supposed to be teammates...He could have been a towering force in the NHL...nevermind making it.

I have no idea how he never played single game in the show.:shakehead

Trevor Jobe. Lacked skating, discipline and reliability. Never was able to stay in one place very long.

The minors are full of similar players - Joel Theriault comes to mind.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Trevor Jobe. Lacked skating, discipline and reliability. Never was able to stay in one place very long.

The minors are full of similar players - Joel Theriault comes to mind.

I think Jobe is still the all time leading scorer in the ECHL. Played with over 30 pro teams. He wasn't a great skater...but he didn't have to be...he was so much bigger and smarter than everyone else.

habman19

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Go and google the name Herb Carnegie. Even Jean Beliveau says he should have been in the NHL.
By the way...what about 70's Soviet players like Vladislav Tretiak....Valeri Kharlamov and Alexander Yakushev? These guys all could have been superstars in the NHL.

Wetcoaster

A player I saw a lot growing up was Guyle Fielder - think the Wayne Gretzky of the minors. He played 15 NHL games without a single point.

In 1956-57 Fielder was the first professional hockey player to score more than 100 points in a season (33 goals, 89 assists and 122 points). The 122 points would remain a single season WHL record which would never be broken. This was the first of three straight seasons with over 100 points, and he would add a fourth in 1963-64.
Guyle Fielder was the greatest minor league hockey player ever. This fact is not in question, as no one ever played as long or as well in the minors. That leaves us with a question, though... why didn't Fielder make the next step to the NHL?

Fielder's career numbers are staggering. In 1,487 regular season minor league games he put up 438 goals and 1,491 assists. Add on his 110 playoff games during which he scored 25 goals and 83 assists, and you have a minor league career total of 2,037 points... the only player ever to reach that milestone, and it's a record that will likely never be broken.

You want more stats? Ok... Fielder played 21 seasons in the Western Hockey League. During that time he led the league in assists 13 times and in points 9 times. He was the Rookie of the Year in 1951-52, and he won the MVP award 6 times. He was a First Team All-Star 8 times, and a Second Team All-Star 4 times. He was named the league's Most Gentlemanly Player 3 times, and he led Seattle to 3 WHL championships. Oh yeah, during his one minor league season outside the WHL (1952-53) he was named the American Hockey League Rookie of the Year and led that league in assists too.
http://www.seattlehockey.net/fielder/fielder.htm

Here are his awards:
PCHL Rookie of the Year - 1952
AHL Rookie of the Year - 1953
AHL First Team All-Star - 1953
WHL First Team All-Star - 1954, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1967
WHL Coast Division First Team All-Star - 1957, 1958, 1959
WHL Second Team All-Star - 1961, 1965, 1966, 1968
WHL Most Gentlemanly Player (Hume Cup) - 1966, 1967, 1969
WHL Coast Division MVP - 1957, 1958, 1959
WHL MVP (Leader Cup) - 1960, 1964, 1967

WHL Championship Team - 1959, 1967, 1968

How about these junior numbers? This was when 50 points was great year and he played less than 40 games.

1949-50 Lethbridge Native Sons WCJHL 39GP 47G 58A 105Pts
1950-51 Lethbridge Native Sons WCJHL 37GP 44G 56A 100Pts

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

NHLHammerbound*

During the original 6 era, there were countless players who could have made the NHL during an expansion era. But there are some who were good enough to make the original 6 era rosters, but didn't due to injury, conscription, marriage etc.

Most of these examples are word of mouth type players, but I am sure there are a lot of HF posters who had uncles or grandfathers who played with these guys.

Actually one of my relatives is ONE of those guys. He's about 85 now, BUT back in the 80's the Hamilton Spectator did a full page write up on him = HAROLD SCHOOLEy ( available at special collections dept of Hamilton Central Library )

OK Here's the article, written by Glen Nott special to the Hamilton Spectator

THE WIZARD OF EUROPE -They ( the Soviets ) had heard he was an exceptional goal scorer and would like to learn from him.

THOSE POOR souls toiling for the Fife Flyers probably didn't know what hit them on that fateful eve of December 11,1953 What started out as just another hockey game between Flyers and the Paisley Pirates of the British Professional League that evening, would end as a world history maker as Hamilton's own Harold Schooley fired 8 goals in leading his team to a lopsided victory.

And just for fun if you check page 178 of the 1955 edition of the Guiness Book of World records, You'll notice that Schooley's feat was indeed a bona fide record of its time.

However if you want a lot more fun, just ask the 60 year old Schooley about it in person.
"I was 23 at the time and I broke the league record for goals that year, scoring 89 in 62 games",recounts Schooley, who now spends his time as general manager of Flamborough's Niagara District junior C entry. " The record before that was 62 in 62 games".

The event was big stuff in its day, but it was just the beginning of a hockey odessy that carried the Cathedral High student through virtually every country in Europe and the Soviet Union before returning to England and finally to North America in the early 1970's

"After I scored the 8, I guess the Russians read it in the paper and got on the phone to Canada House in London. They wondered if Mr. Schooley would come over for one month and tour Russia. They had heard he was an exceptional goal scorer and would like to learn from him"

One year later, Schooley was behind the Iron Curtain, wowing the comrades with his prolific touch around the net. One day he suited up with the East German national team and potted 12 goals in an exhibition game against the Soviet nationals. The next day, he buried a dozen more against a West German club in a tournament.
Needless to say hockey in Europe has never been the same since.

But it wasn't a burning desire to travel that led Schooley to a career of hockey stardom on the Continent. He had signed a professional contract with Eddie Shore's Springfield Indians of the American hockey league early in his career and a combination of Shore's stubborness and Schooley's maverick streak eventually led the latter across the pond.

He did get a try-out with the Boston Bruins early in the 1950's , scoring 9 goals in 5 exhibition games. But when he was eventually sent back down to Springfield, along with friend Billy Cupolo of Niagara Falls, the two decided to bolt for Europe instead of playing for Shore. "Everyone has Eddie Shore stories, he was the Harold Ballard of his era," recalls Schooley. "He just flat out told you he was not going to trade you and back then you didn't argue with management so I just took off."
He shrugs off a suggestion that maybe he was a little timid for the rough and tumble NHL, instead pointing to a face thats seen its share of projectiles.

"Hell one year in the AHL I took 200 stitches. I'm a dumb Irishman, so once i got started you couldn't stop me"

After a couple of season in Britain, Schooley became what he describes as a "freelance" hockey player, playing for teams all over Europe and getting as much as $500 per game. When he was playing in Italy, he got a call one weekend from an Austrian team desparate for his services

"I ended up playing In Italy one night and driving up to Austria the next day. I think we played 3 games in two days and I made $2,500 that weekend."

Schooley earned a litany of nicknames during his playing days. ‘Silver' for his abundance of prematurely greying locks, and ‘THE DEKE' for his scoring and play making abilities that left Europeans shaking their heads.

In many place he was simply known as ‘THE CANADIAN', a revolutionary-style player that had to be seen to be believed. He would drive, sometimes with equipment still on, from one town or country to the next one seeking new crowds to wow.

He was playing 60 minutes a game most nights,11 or 12 months of the year. And he racked up three languages along the way-Italian German and French.
"I was having a heck of a time and as it turned out I was making more money than a lot of the National Hockey League players. It worked out just fine for me"

Just fine indeed . His expertise was such that he coached two Olympic teams ( Italian team 1956, Austrians in 1960 ) when he came back over to North America , he worked with the Philadelphia ( later Vancouver ) blazers and Calgary Cowboys of the now defunct World hockey association. He even coached the Hamilton redwing junior club in 1973.

Schooleys keen eye for athletic talent also led him to a 12 year stint as a Canadian scout for baseballs Philadelphia Phillies when rinks were quiet in the summer. He spent a lot of time in Quebec then , but he always retained Hamilton as his home base
(* I omitted a couple of paragraphs here not too pertinent ...story continues* )

...Speaking of his 1980's junior C assignment. " I really feel that I didn't get a chance to play in North America (* he had the nerve to stand up to management - Carl Brewer was not the first* ) and I see the same thing happening to a lot of kids today. I'm just glad to be doing what I'm doing now and making a contribution...
THE END...

CHEERS ET AL.

Last edited by a moderator:

raffael3d

Dec 31, 2005
Vladislav Tretjak never played in NHL.

two more guys that came to mind are

Vyacheslav Bykov
Andrei Khomutov

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Mostly Soviets I think.

Vladislav Tretiak
Valeri Kharlamov
Boris Mikhailov
Alex Yakushev

Trying to think of the best non-Soviet to be on the list. Another modern name that comes to mind is Alex Cherepanov. Died in 2008 at 19 years old so never even got out of his teens. I was quite impressed with him though from what I saw.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
What did you see in his game? Any comparables?

Viktor Tikhonov comment that Toreanu could play on any team in the world​

In 78 or 79 The Montreal Canadians offered him a 3 year $500.00 deal but had to turn it down for political and family reasons

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You know who's kind of inexplicable to me? Luc Robitaille.

I say this because the QMJHL was chock-full of offensively talented players in the early-1980s to early-1990s who were the equal of Luc Robitaille in scoring ability balanced with apparent deficits (skating in Luc's case, though it could be size, versatility, toughness, etc. in others').

Alexandre Daigle is the classic example of a highly-touted Q player who was clearly over-rated in draft value. (We pause to remember that Daigle was outscored by Rene Corbet and Ian Laperierre in his draft year). For various reasons, Daigle was the classic Q-drafted "bust", though he did at least have a respectable NHL career (and even led Minnesota in scoring once). But there were a lot of guys who more-or-less matched Daigle or Robitaille in scoring and never made the NHL:
- Martin Gendron (30 career NHL games over four seasons)
- Yanick Dube
- Todd Gillingham
- Patrick Lebeau (15 career NHL games over nine seasons)
- Steve Cadieux
- Patrice Lefebvre (3 career NHL games... after a 200-point season in the Q)
- Patrice Tremblay (76 goal season in the Q)
- Guy Rouleau (Robitaille's linemate scored 91 goals and matched Luc with 191 points)
- Michel Mongeau (51 career NHL games over four seasons)
- Marc Damphousse
Etc.

Presumably, many of these guys were very, very talented. They were all 70-goal and/or 160-point type scorers in the Q, just the same as Robitaille.

Yet, the 10 guys I list, above -- basically none of whom looked less impressive than Robitaille, physically or offensively, in the QMJHL -- combined for a grand total of 13 career NHL goals.

Robitaille was drafted 171st as an afterthought (the Kings' brass weren't even the table when he came up to meet them). He was quicly cut from the club's 1984-85 training camp. He was quickly cut from the club's 1985-86 camp.

Then, he made the team and scored 726 NHL goals.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
(and even led Minnesota in scoring once)

So did Scott Pellerin, while playing 58 games on the season.

More broadly speaking, I fail to see what makes Daigle much of an interesting player or person. It would be one thing if he ditched hockey to become a famous archeologist or a great playwright, but instead he just bounced from vapid to vapid.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Esa Keskinen was one of the most skilled players in Europe in the late 1980s and the early 1990s, but relatively small and not the character to pursue an NHL career.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

Viktor Tikhonov comment that Toreanu could play on any team in the world​

In 78 or 79 The Montreal Canadians offered him a 3 year $500.00 deal but had to turn it down for political and family reasons
I also wouldn't play for $500. I'm not asking what his alleged contract offers were or what Tikhonov said off hand via translation. I was just wondering if you had seen this player.

It's unclear if anyone has, but he has some lore...

Reactions: wetcoast

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
More broadly speaking, I fail to see what makes Daigle much of an interesting player or person. It would be one thing if he ditched hockey to become a famous archeologist or a great playwright, but instead he just bounced from vapid to vapid.

Why Doug Wichenheiser feel so much different than Daigle, it is not a bad question, there something about being the first and I wonder if Daigle was not the first in some regards.

TSN started to broadcast the world juniors in 1991 that became a bigger deal in the late 80s with the bench brawl, RDS (the TSN in Québec) started in 1989 around the same time TSN had started to reach a wide audience I think. Before 1987 the NHL draft was not even broadcasted in the United States.

Was Daigle the first highly hyped draft pick bust of the cable era and the oversized 24/24 sport coverage (with a Lindros machine in place that had to continue to do something) ?

A bit like a new tv star will never match the first one (Presley-Monroe) in the imaginary, whatever Lafrenière do he will not be Daigle, I do not think the general population care about hockey like in the early 90s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad