WC: Best players in the tourney?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Mine too! Born and raised in Nacka, where he started playing. 18 seasons for the same non-professional club, without ever having had the chance of even ONE lucrative year abroad making anything like good money. God, it brings a tear to my eye even now. True grit. In a time of mercenaries.

Yeah, he's a true legend. One decent SEL season and it's off to the AHL as an injury backup nowadays. I heard he's is an estate agent in Saltsjöbaden now, so he's probably doing alright economically even if he never had a huge contract during his playing days.

Mmm..yeeees. Why don't we hype him some more, why don't we? *evil* By far the best goalie of the Elitserie, wouldn't you say? A bargain at any price. *wink wink nudge nudge* :naughty:

Hehe, good thinking.

Tbh, I can't help but admire him. He looks so calm and collected and has that air of arrogance that you sometimes see in great goalies. That's right, he's the Swedish Patrick Roy. Get him while you can! ;)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
My MVP's of each team, 1/2:

AUT: Has been horrible, no one has over one point, so it's hard to select as nobody would actually deserve it. For some reason, I'd choose 1st line center and assistant captain Thomas Koch. Alternative option goalie Jurgen Penker.

BLR: Suprisingly lost to France and fell to the relegation round. My MVP choice would be Habs' star Andrei Kostitsyn, and his linemate Alexander Kulakov as alternate choice.

CAN: Has been and still is one of the favourites with their young team. Many good MVP candidates, and my selection is 2009 1st overall pick John Tavares, and Alex Pietrangelo as alternative choice (2+2, +8).

CZE: Defending champions again have really strong squad, and with Ondrej Pavelec playing like he has played, they are hard to beat. Pavelec first choice, Patrik Elias alternative choice with nice stats.

DEN: Roster isn't as strong as last year, but still they were able to beat Latvia and proceed from their group. Goalie Fredrik Andersen has been the most important player, so he gets the MVP selection, and Nichlas Hardt just tops Mads Christensen as alternative choice.

FIN: Has had problems with scoring, but still should be able to advance to the quarterfinals. MVP choice is rather easy, as 19-year-old Minnesota Wild prospect Mikael Granlund has shown that he's worth the hype. Alternative option is Granlund's linemate Jarkko Immonen.

FRA: Did huge upset against Belarus by beating them in overtime, and avoiding relegation once again. MVP trophy goes to Kevin Hecquefeuille, who scored the GWG in the game. Alternative option is former NHL goalie Cristobal Huet, although he has been inconsistent, but he surely doesn't have any world-class defense.

GER: Looking to repeat their last years performance, Germany has maybe been the best team so far even without any NHL players (3 games with Toronto doesn't count). Coach Uwe Krupp has done great job again. MVP goes to last years best player of the tournament, Dennis Endras, who had shutout against Russia. Alternative option is Korbinian Holzer, even though he hasn't got any points yet, but his plus-minus in +4 and he has been solid defensively, like whole team.

Rest are in the second post.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
My MVP's of each team, 2/2:

LAT: Two shootout losses against Finland and Denmark dropped Latvia to the relegation round, where they surprisingly lost to Slovenia. It would be a bit shame if Latvia would be relegated, as it usually has been able to contend with Germany, Switzerland and Belarus, and hasn't been easy opponent to anyone. My MVP choice is speedy forward Mikelis Redlihs, who might even have some NHL potential. Alternative choice is Oskars Cibulskis, who has played lot but still is only defender who hasn't got negative plus-minus.

NOR: Started with a huge suprise against Sweden, also did lead 2-0 after two periods against USA. My MVP award goes to current scoring leader of the tournament, Mathis Olimb, and alternative choice is defenseman Jonas Holos. Also Lars-Erik Spets deserves mention after his astonishing SH effort in overtime against Sweden, where he blocked five shots.

RUS: Looked like the old team Russia with no chemistry in their first two games, but after that they have upgraded their game. MVP choice goes to Sergei Zinovjev, who is part of the most dangerous line of the tournament with Danis Zaripov and Alexei Morozov. Alternative option is Ilya Nikulin, who has been impressive in both ends of the ice. I'd also like to present the "Worst player of the tournament" -award to Evgeni Nabokov, who hasn't been able to catch a beachball, and shouldn't been chosen to the roster at all, and "Most stupid player of the tournament" -award to Evgeny Arthyukhin, who only tries to kill his opponents, especially goalies by running them over.

SLO: Having Anze would've really helped Slovenia, but they haven't given up, and now it looks possible that they'll drop either Latvia or Belarus to Division I. MVP choice is goalie Robert Kristan, who could easily play in KHL instead of EBEL, and alternative choice is Tomaz Razingar, who's part of easily the best line of Team Slovenia with Rodman brothers.

SUI: Slow start against France, but they're getting stronger all the time, and we're able to force Canada into shootout. MVP of the team so far is their scoring leader, Ivo Rüthemann, and alternative choice are their goalies, especially backup Leonardo Genoni after his performance against Canada.

SVK: Host nation Slovakia begun the tournament with high hopes, but they haven't been able to do anything, and rumours tell that head coach Glen Hanlon is going to be sacked soon. MVP choice is veteran forward Ladislav Nagy, and alternative choice is another veteran Lubomir Visnovsky, who joined the team a bit late (maybe too late?). The word "veteran" sums up this Slovakian team, and maybe they really should've chosen their up-and-coming youngsters like Tomas Tatar or Richard Panik instead of old guys.

SWE: With new head coach Pär Mårts, Sweden has done what Slovakia didn't, by choosing young squad instead of experienced veterans (although many of those veterans said "no" when they were asked to join). Mårts has also succesfully changed Sweden's style of play to a bit more agressive and faster style. MVP award goes to Patrik Berglund and alternative choice is Viktor Fasth, who's had amazing debut season in Elitserien as 28-year-old "rookie", and has performed well in here also. Fasth has gotten much help from solid (and young) Swedish defense, led by Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Carl Gunnarsson, and they deserve honorable mention.

USA: Didn't change their philosophy after last years disaster, which received some criticism, but they have shown way better efforts than last year, although goaltending is big problem. Especially Al Montoya has been abysmal. MVP choice of team USA is defensive star Jack Johnson, followed closely by Blake Wheeler.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund, Immonen and Väänänen from Team Finland.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Call me a homer, but I think Phaneuf has been Canada's best defenseman. Leads Canada in icetime and has played a sound game all tournament. Piet has been good though.

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
Hehe, good thinking.

Tbh, I can't help but admire him. He looks so calm and collected and has that air of arrogance that you sometimes see in great goalies. That's right, he's the Swedish Patrick Roy. Get him while you can! ;)

He gives that impression, of being someone who very rarely gets unnerved. Think he's got a bright future ahead of him and if he continues to shine in this tournament he must get a shot at NHL.

On that note, it's just a crying shame coach MÃ¥rts didn't call up Linus Videll, isn't it? Surely that hidden gem of a man deserves an international career. I've been told you can get a great package deal on Fasth and Videll.. Just saying. :thumbu:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Call me a homer, but I think Phaneuf has been Canada's best defenseman. Leads Canada in icetime and has played a sound game all tournament. Piet has been good though.

Phaneuf has been "ok." He's been skated around like a pylon on multiple occasions and had some bad giveaways, as well as put himself out of position to try and make hits. He's been pretty good offensively though pinching and putting some good shots on net. I'd say Pietrangelo has been Canada's best defenceman to this point.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Phaneuf has been "ok." He's been skated around like a pylon on multiple occasions and had some bad giveaways, as well as put himself out of position to try and make hits. He's been pretty good offensively though pinching and putting some good shots on net. I'd say Pietrangelo has been Canada's best defenceman to this point.

He was excellent today and only has been skated around by Grabo in the Belarus game. I have only seen one bad giveaway by Phaneuf. Don't know where these multiple occassions and he has never put himself out of position to make a big hit. For example, today he bulldozed his guy to the ice and another one of their guys walked out infront and scored the first goal. Nash and the other guy shouldn't of just layed on the ice infront of the net watching him, Phaneuf did his job. And if you want to nit-pick Pietro got left in the dust by some of the Norway players pretty easily twice today and created some scoring opportunities that luckily someone else bailed out.

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Holzer has really developed his play to another level. He always was physical with a solid first pass who sometimes was a bit over-aggressive what lead to penalties. But now he plays very smart, calm and disciplined, just like a guy everybody would want as a defensive d-man, maybe even on a top four pairing.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Anyone else think Raphael Diaz has been impressive. Quick, puck moving defense man that can contribute offensively. Has speed, puck poise and has a great shot.

Do you see any NHL teams taking a shot at him in an NHL training camp?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Spezza is quickly turning into the best centre in the tournament. He's been producing consistently since being given a bigger role, and plays the PK, wins the faceoffs and is just all around the ice for the most part. Although Tavares has more points I think he's been fairly one dimensional this tournament (in terms of just putting out offence) now that could be because he's being underused, but still.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I think Spezza is quickly turning into the best centre in the tournament. He's been producing consistently since being given a bigger role, and plays the PK, wins the faceoffs and is just all around the ice for the most part. Although Tavares has more points I think he's been fairly one dimensional this tournament (in terms of just putting out offence) now that could be because he's being underused, but still.

I see your point and I don't disagree. Spezza's playing the best hockey I've seen him play - even going back to the Heatley-Alfredsson days. He's really elevating his play and showing great leadership and accountability out there. He's the leader on this Canada team and if they hope to win Gold, Spezza will have to continue to be their best player. People dump on Spezza a lot but he's a great hockey player IMO. He's had some injury problems and maybe an off-year but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Tavares is one of the best offensive talents in the world. He doesn't look impressive out there, he's not a dynamic skater or puck-handler, no end-to-end rushes, he actually carries the puck more than he did in the NHL the past two years. But in terms of offensive ability, vision, hockey sense and creating offense, Tavares is the best in the tournament. He's so young, as are his linemates, so I understand why Hitch wouldn't use him more. But Tavares has earned more ice-time as the tournament has progressed and they'll need his line's production to continue as well.

Amazing how much better Tavares is with more talented teammates. He really elevates his play when he puts on the red-and-white too. He's been pretty good defensively as well, that whole line works hard in all zones. Skinner's such a good hockey player.

Shocked on how invisible Matt Duchene has been. I thought he'd tear-up this tournament with his speed and skill, the extra ice and with linemates like Nash-Neal (early) and now Eberle-Kane they should be deadly out there.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
My MVP's of each team, 2/2:

USA: Didn't change their philosophy after last years disaster, which received some criticism, but they have shown way better efforts than last year, although goaltending is big problem. Especially Al Montoya has been abysmal. MVP choice of team USA is defensive star Jack Johnson, followed closely by Blake Wheeler.

Pajicz, what have you been watching? Derek Stepan has been twice the player Blake Wheeler has been. An NCAA player (Smith) has been almost as good as Wheeler.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Not sure how you would call that being sheltered.

^^This^^

He's averaging over 21 minutes per game. Hard to play sheltered minutes when you're on the ice for over a 1/3 of the game. I would say Luke Schenn is playing sheltered minutes with an average of 16:39 per game. Piet has been Canada's best defenseman IMO.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
My vote goes to Mr. Jagr followed by Plekanec.

As the tournament is getting deeper, that duo seems to be taking their game to another level.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
My vote goes to Mr. Jagr followed by Plekanec.

As the tournament is getting deeper, that duo seems to be taking their game to another level.

Yup, they both looked great against Team USA this morning. Jags is still pretty deadly coming off the hash marks on the PP, as evidenced by his sweet looking one timer in the 2nd period. Speaking of one timers, I only saw Plekanec's blast in slow mo because it was too fast for real time. Conklin didn't stand a chance as the puck was destined for short side shelf the moment it left Plekanec's stick. That sealed for the Czech's, who are looking great this tourney.

Norwegian

Pitbull Sniper
Aug 17, 2010
Asker, Norway
found this on a norwegian hockey forum and took the liberty to translate it. i must say i agree with the poster, It will be difficult overlooking Holøs on the allstar team? what do you think?

This guy has played an average of 28:24 per game. He has a total of 15 shots, 2 of which have gone in. He also has three assists. Thats enough so that he leads the d`s internal points league. Thats fair enough. But as he plays D, there are other things that are "more " important. Like the fact that he has only been out on the ice for 1 goal agains playing 5-5. After almost 2.5 hours of effective play thats not bad. He is right at the top of + / - statistic, with + 6. Only Pietrangelo is better. He has also been on the ice for four goals with a man advantage. With one man less and with Holøs on the ice, we have only let in one goal. Finally, it is worth mentioned that he only incurred one minor penalty during this playing time. After 2.5 hours of play!

My conclusion is as follows: no matter how small nation, Norway is, it will be difficult for the organizers (or coaches, do not know who decides this) to get away from Holøs when they pick out the tournament's two best defensemen to the All-Star Team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->