Best players by franchise

Randall Graves*

this just in the wild and stars are different franchises....

broten best player in stars history.

gaborik best in wild history.
I didn't want two Minnesotas, that's why I put dallas/minnesota together but Gaborik would be the best Wild player..

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Beliveau isn't in the top three all-time for the Habs? Care to elaborate why? There are some who rank him No. 1 all-time among the Habs. I'll rate Richard No. 1 myself, but Beliveau has to be one of the top three. Not just for skill, but physical play, leadership and class.

I guess what it comes down to for me is personal opinion. Rocket is the clear cut number one, I think everyone is aware of my thoughts on him.

Morenz is number two for me because he was the first superstar. Until the Rocket he was the player that everyone was compared to. He helped the game in a way that often gets overlooked because it was so long ago. He is still mentioned whenever the question "who is the fastest skater of all time?" is asked. To me, he was probably the only one who came close to having Rocket's desire to win that ever pulled on a habs jersey.

I consider Harvey to be the glue of the habs in the 1950's. The 50's habs were the greatest teams of all time as far as I'm concerned and Harvey was (all around) the best player. If he doesn't get injured in '59, Harvey's string of Norris trophies is longer than Orr's. Not saying he was better than Orr, but as the concensus second best defenceman ever, I think he trumps Beliveau.

That's not to say that there was ever a better captain than Beliveau, just that Rocket, Morenz, and Harvey to me are the three best to ever play for the habs.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Anaheim: Chris Pronger :sarcasm:
Atlanta: Marian Hossa
Boston: Ray Bourque
Buffalo: Dominik Hasek
Calgary: Al McInnis
Carolina/Hartford: Ron Francis
Chicago: Bobby Hull
Colorado: Petr Forsberg
Columbus: Rick Nash
Dallas/Minnesota: Mike Modano
Detroit: Steve Yzerman
Edmonton: Wayne Gretzky
Florida: John Vanbiesbrouck
Los Angeles: Wayne Gretzky
Montreal: Bob Gainey :D imo
Nashville: Paul Kariya
New Jersey Devils: Patrik Elias
New York Islanders: Bryan Trottier
New York Rangers: Mark Messier
Ottawa: Daniel Alfredsson
Philadelphia: Bobby Clarke
Phoenix/Winnipeg: Dale Hawerchuk
Pittsburgh: Mario Lemieux
San Jose: Patrick Marleau
St.Louis: Chris Pronger
Tampa Bay: Nikolai Khabibulin
Toronto: Mats Sundin
Vancouver: Pavel Bure
Washington: Peter Bondra

Transported Upstater

Harvey over Rocket is a better debate than people would want to admit. Also IMO:

Bill Cook = Best Ranger ever.

Eddie Shore > Ray Bourque

Dionne > Luc

I'm inclined to agree with you, although I've obviously never seen Shore play.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I guess what it comes down to for me is personal opinion. Rocket is the clear cut number one, I think everyone is aware of my thoughts on him.

Morenz is number two for me because he was the first superstar. Until the Rocket he was the player that everyone was compared to. He helped the game in a way that often gets overlooked because it was so long ago. He is still mentioned whenever the question "who is the fastest skater of all time?" is asked. To me, he was probably the only one who came close to having Rocket's desire to win that ever pulled on a habs jersey.

I consider Harvey to be the glue of the habs in the 1950's. The 50's habs were the greatest teams of all time as far as I'm concerned and Harvey was (all around) the best player. If he doesn't get injured in '59, Harvey's string of Norris trophies is longer than Orr's. Not saying he was better than Orr, but as the concensus second best defenceman ever, I think he trumps Beliveau.

That's not to say that there was ever a better captain than Beliveau, just that Rocket, Morenz, and Harvey to me are the three best to ever play for the habs.

raleh,

That is an excellent response. I disagree, but it's still an excellent, historically-aware response.

I agree that the Rocket is the best player in Habs history. While there have been better players in the regular season, the Rocket is likely the best clutch player in NHL history. And possibly the finest goal scorer who ever lived. I know that Big Phil, for one, would take Beliveau first, but most have Rocket at No. 1. When you look at Richard's phenomenal popularity and influence on life in Quebec as a whole, there's no question he's the greatest Hab ever.

Harvey also has to be there, too. I'll rate Eddie Shore as the No. 2 defenceman ever (and boy, there's a fantastic debate), but Harvey has to be there. Imagine what he could have done if he played at a time when defencemen were encouraged to jump into the rush.

But I'd rate Beliveau ahead of Morenz. They both had immense popularity in Montreal. Morenz is generally heralded as hockey's first superstar, and his death generated a province-wide mourning period in La Belle Province. One of the great skaters in the game's history, and his dedication to the game and desire are almost unmatched.

But Beliveau was likely the greatest combination of size and skill that the game had ever seen until Mario Lemieux came along. Beliveau played a physical game on the ice, while bringing unmatched grace, class and leadership off the ice. Was once considered for Canada's governor general post. And there's those 10 Cup rings. How good was he? Scored over a point-per-game in both the regular season and the playoffs at age 39.

hnat trick

Jun 7, 2006
1 year is not enough to make him the best player in franchise history. it was a combination of length and excellence..

Yeah, longevity should definitely figure into this to some extent. Otherwise, you might as well put Gretzky down as the best Blue, too.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
There is no possible way Tkachuk should even be considered for the best franchise player.

Though Bobby Hull is the winner becuse the team was NAMED after him. If a team is named after you you are the Franchise!!!!!!!

I'd pick Thomas Steen and Teppo Numminen over Tkachuk as well.
Good response. Tkachuk is a pretty distant 6th to me: Hull, Hawerchuk, Selanne, Steen, and Numminen are all ahead of him. You could probably make an argument for Hedberg and Nilsson if we're going back to the WHA days.

Fun fact: the Winnipeg Jets were actually named after the New York Jets, not "the Golden Jet". Original (Winnipeg) Jets owner Ben Hatskin was old friends with (New York) Jets owner, Sonny Werblin. The name was first used by the Junior Jets, who had been around since the late 1960s, before the WHA existed.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
If not Hull than clearly Hawerchuk. Tkachuk is not close to Hawerchuk. Hawerchuk played 9 years for the franchise and missed only 7 games in that time. Tkachuk played 10 seasons with only 17 games his first season and was traded in his last season. So about 9 full seasons after that but missed 70+ games in those 9years. So Hawerchuk played more games for the franchise, scored more goals, got more points.

Hawerchuk: Seven 40 goal seasons; Six 100 pt years; Eight 90 pt years; Nine 80 point years; was a point a game player every Jets season he played.

Tkachuk: Four 40 goal seasons; Zero 100 pt years; One 90 pt years; Three 80 point years; was a point a game player 5 times in 10 seasons for the Jets.

There is no possible way Tkachuk should even be considered for the best franchise player.

Amen, brother! Too many people see Tka-chunk play, and think he is a great player. He WAS a pretty good player for 2 years, but he is an AWFUL person to have on your team (see multiple hold-outs, trashed motel rooms, weight gains, etc.) He wasn't even the best player on the team AT THE TIME! That would be Teemu Selanne (1992-93 through 1995-96) or maybe even Teppo Numminin. He certainly couldn't hold a candle to "Ducky", much less Bobby Hull!

Though Bobby Hull is the winner becuse the team was NAMED after him. If a team is named after you you are the Franchise!!!!!!!

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
If not Hull than clearly Hawerchuk. Tkachuk is not close to Hawerchuk. Hawerchuk played 9 years for the franchise and missed only 7 games in that time. Tkachuk played 10 seasons with only 17 games his first season and was traded in his last season. So about 9 full seasons after that but missed 70+ games in those 9years. So Hawerchuk played more games for the franchise, scored more goals, got more points.

Hawerchuk: Seven 40 goal seasons; Six 100 pt years; Eight 90 pt years; Nine 80 point years; was a point a game player every Jets season he played.

Tkachuk: Four 40 goal seasons; Zero 100 pt years; One 90 pt years; Three 80 point years; was a point a game player 5 times in 10 seasons for the Jets.

Amen, brother! In no way was Tka-chunk better than "Ducky". He wasn't even the best player on the Jets AT THE TIME! That would be Teemu Selanne (1992-93 through 1995-96) or maybe even Teppo Numminin.

But Hull wins hands down as best FRANCHISE player ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->