Best player you've drafted so far?

Captain Nutjob

Nothing to see here
Mar 13, 2014
Rory Antonio - (OFD, 2nd Overall, 4.5): I originally passed up on this guy, but I traded for him immediately after the draft. He came out of the draft as an 80 OVR and is currently an 89 OVR.

Darcy Whitaker - (SNP, 1st OVR, 5): Same draft year as Antonio. Took a risk by trading Sam Reinhart for the 1st overall, but it paid off. He came out of the draft as a 78 OVR. After one year in Juniors, he improved to 85 OVR and is now an 89 playing on my first line with Huberdeau and Kucherov.

Hooterz

Oct 7, 2013
Ohio
2017 10th overall, Yves Fournier (DFD D). He was scouted as 4.5 white stars, and was still available at 10th overall. Datsyuk and Zetterberg just retired, so I really wanted to draft a forward, but couldn't pass this guy up. Selected him and he is an 80 overall after draft (does have 90 def aware) but is also 18 years old with 4.5 yellow potential.

Edit: Fournier is now 86 overall in his 2nd year.

Also Drafted Francis Strbak first overall. He was 4.5 green from scouting and was drafted at 84 overall twf center. Start of pre-season and he is 86 overall with 5 yellow star potential.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Zykov. Drafted him twice in different GM modes and he has always been a prolific goal scorer.

Federov. five star sniper center which I only was able to use for three years after drafting as my GM career ended. in the third year he was at 90 and ended the season with 42 goals.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
My strategy is save before the draft. Sim the draft. Go to contracts, rookie skaters, and then sort by potential. The unsigned high potential rookies are usually the ones from the most recent draft, and you can see what they are, their stats, and what pick they were. Is it cheap? Sure, but it prevents me from wasting picks on 5 star tough guys

LOL i do that as well ... Mark it on my excel sheet. As the first season i did as GM i was getting a feel for it as i do a fantasy draft. when they finally updated the ratings for Mackinnon i started over and was prepared for how many draft picks i need for the first 3 drafts since those never changed. But ALWAYS save first then do the draft if you dont like getting "Screwed" in the virtual draft.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
In my first season as gm for Edmonton, i drafted Jonathan Drouin in the first round and within 3 seasons he went from 67 overall to 91. his potential to start was 4.5 stars green and is now 5 stars green

I do a fantasy draft and grab drouin in ROUND 16. I have a whole breakdown of how players potential goes up or down and the best round to get them.. But need to do it again after the last roster updates were made.

hutsmart

Feb 9, 2014
I do a fantasy draft and grab drouin in ROUND 16. I have a whole breakdown of how players potential goes up or down and the best round to get them.. But need to do it again after the last roster updates were made.

wouldn't mind you sharing that if you didn't mind hah

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
wouldn't mind you sharing that if you didn't mind hah

LOL... I will get it updated this weekend with the new rosters as the one i was using had MacKinnon rated an 84 not sure if they updated him since that. But my team was ultimately STACKED. Drafted older/higher rated guys to trade off for 1st rd picks and made my team TANK to get a given top 3 choice, since that first draft is a good one.

Also it has happened before some drafts have let me just trade 1st rd pick for 1st rd pick; not sure if its a glitch but i was able to trade some late 20s for top 10s.

I will get this into a google excel document and put it online for you

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I relocated the Coyotes to Milwaukee and the best player I've ever drafted was William Nylander in 2014 and he got up to an 84 OVR in my 5th year. I've never been able to grow a drafted player into a 90+ OVR, but I've never had a 1st round pick higher than 12th or so. Luckily OEL and Gormley wind up being high 80s/low 90s after a few years so my defense has carried me through most of my seasons.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I relocated the Coyotes to Milwaukee and the best player I've ever drafted was William Nylander in 2014 and he got up to an 84 OVR in my 5th year. I've never been able to grow a drafted player into a 90+ OVR, but I've never had a 1st round pick higher than 12th or so. Luckily OEL and Gormley wind up being high 80s/low 90s after a few years so my defense has carried me through most of my seasons.

YOu gotta work those trades.. At least i do.. as i usually end up with like 10 first rd draft picks and you can only have so many so i trade up so i get the best of the best every year.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Didn't draft him, but traded Perry and Lindholm for him.

Pete Betts, 88 OVR PWF in his first year. Three years later, he's a 95 OVR generational talent. Only PWF I've seen go over a PPG.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I once had this goalie that was 5 stars yellow had massive trade value and was only 20 years old. I was trying to tank so I put him as my back-up (he was in the 60's) and we did awful that year and finished 1st overall. The next year I am excited to see his big jump in overall to see he is the same overall and his potential is down to 4 stars yellow, no trade value.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas

I want to say I'm in 2020 and here's a few current ratings with some of those prospects.

Siebenaler (89)

Reinhart (88)

Baille (85)

Nylander (88) - Just won the Hart and Art Ross on my team. 100+ points with Shinkaruk (88) and Reinhart (88) who also had 100+ points each.

Goldobin (85) - PPG player even from overalls 82-88

Barzal (89)

Pilon (83)

Gagne (85) - High of 30 points despite overall.

Kylington (82)

Clarke (86)

Benson (87)

TheSeanAnderson

May 12, 2014
Ontario
2017 Draft first overall pick:

C Francis Campbell, SNP, 87 , 4.5 yellow stars

The leafs drafted him. He led the league in scoring in his rookie year yet somehow dropped to red potential. I picked him up for scrubs. He was amazing playing with Drouin.

BigBadBruins63*

G Philip Cadorette- 2014 draft, 1st overall, 5 green stars

Had to trade a lot to get the pick but I think it was worth it :)

in the ones i've done, i've always had a goalie like this in the draft. Seems like a different name though.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
5 yellow star sniper, Tyler benson 2018 draft, drafted at 77 overall with a five star shot category, put up 70 pts in his rookie season on my first line

XxCanadiensxX

Jan 8, 2013
Sean Day, Defenceman, 1st Overall 2016 Draft. 5 yellow stars. Right now he's sitting at 75 OVR in 2017, and I'm expecting him to make the jump next year.

May 27, 2012
Earth
This actually quite funny. Started the GM mode and won the cup the first season with Detroit. No major roster changes going into the next season. We miss playoffs and finish 5th last in the league and drafted McDavid(4.5*Green) by winning the Lottery. :laugh:

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Samuel Ward (5 star yellow) and Eric(?) Williams (5 star green), both goalies.

I put them both in my NHL team the year they were drafted. Before they even got to the regular season, one was already an 84. Now I still have both of them, Williams is at a 96 and Ward a 93. Ward does play better and have better stats though.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm in 2034-2035, and the best I've drafted in that span is a 6'3 OFD Yury Nabokov, 3rd overall in 2026. 78 overall, 4.5 yellow coming out of the draft, currently 90 overall with 5 star shooting, skating, senses, puck skills, 4.5 stars in defense, 3 stars in physical. Notable attributes: straight 96's in the shooting category, 99 acceleration, 94 speed, 99 passing, 97 puck control, 99 offensive awareness, 92 defensive awareness. He's put up a few 60+ point seasons for me, including 3 straight 25+ goal campaigns. I like him quite a bit :)

Also just an interesting tidbit: he's the only Mongoloid player I've seen generated by the game, which is kinda neat.

Last edited:

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
Best player I've drafter was Defensive dman named Drew Emerson. He is 6'10 235 pounds and was 83 overall right out of the draft. In his third year he is 92 overall.

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
I checked the rankings and right now it looks like there will be a 5 star Tough Guy d-man.

Tristan Tarnasky 5 Yellow. 6-6 253. 81 overall. 2017 draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->