Best player to play less than 100 NHL games

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
and vice versa.

I don't think you'll get may arguments that the NHL is the best hockey league in the world by a fair margin. Leaving out style of play differences and that some players are better in some leagues, the NHL is the most difficult to make, the toughest to play in and have success - by far.

I completely agree with the social factors impacting one's ability to play well in a new country/culture. Playing at an elite level is hard enough on-ice, but being able to do that with the distractions/adjustments off the ice is different for everyone, impossible to quantify.

Jorgen Jonsson is a great example. There were some NHL games where he looked dominant, best player on the ice. Other times he looked disinterested and lost.

Yes, of course :)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Came here to post this. Not sure if he's the best to ever play <100 games but he probably would've been a star.

I agree here had a great playoff for a 20 year old in his only season too.

I'm not including guys that played professionally overseas or early players when there were different leagues and shorter schedules.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Neither was Anders Eldebrink, Thomas Rundqvist or Jonas Bergqvist. Doesn't change the fact that they were much better players than most of the players currently in the NHL.

Not all people are suited for the type of play in the NHL. Others, like Jorgen Jonsson and Vladimir Krutov have trouble adjusting to life in America. The thread was specifically about players who did not have long and successful NHL careers.

As for Pavel Brendl, being picked 4th overall in the NHL draft and winning the goal scoring title in both the SEL and the KHL shows that there's a whole lot more to his story than simply not being "good enough" for the NHL.

Yea whatever. I suspect there are players who would actually make the NHL that are better then Brendl. I watched him play in junior and I have never seen such a floater in my life, he can score goals but can do literally nothing else and to me that doesn't make him much of a hockey player. Certainly not anywhere in the class of those that the OP is looking for.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Jörgen Jönsson played 81 games scoring 31 points for the Isles and Ducks. He's said he enjoyed playing in the NHL, but his family did not settle socially so he decided to move back home to Sweden and has had a fanatstic career. Probably one of the players with the most team accomplishments in recent history with a combined 20 medals from national and international championships.

- His 535 points in 711 regular games played in the SEL is 2nd all-time.
- His 231 goals scored in 711 regular games played in the SEL is 4th all-time.
- His 123 points in 163 playoff games played in the SEL is 1st all-time.
- 11 international tournament medals, including double WC gold medals (1998, 2006) and double Olympic gold medals (1994, 2006)
- 5 times Swedish champion with Färjestad (1997, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2009), 4 times runner up.
- His 285 games played for the Swedish national team Tre Kronor is 1st all-time.
- 1997 recipient of the Guldpucken, awarded annually to the best player in the SEL.
- To date the only player to have won his national championship, the World championship and the Olympic gold medal in the same season (2006).
- His #21 jersey was raised to the rafters of Löfbergs Lila Arena immediately by the end of his career in 2009.

Surely it's hard to tell how his career would've panned out had he stayed in the NHL. But I'm sure there are many NHL players that would gladly choose the career of Jörgen Jönsson given the chance.

I don't think he necessarily would have been a top NHL player. The numbers you list were possible due to him playing in the Swedish Elite League rather than in the NHL. Many of the guys with the best alltime stats in the SEL are guys who were "very good but not really good enough to be make it in the NHL". Jorgen probably would have done it, but I think you get my point. Like Rundqvist, piling up huge numbers (wasn't he the guy with most games for the Swedish national team).

If looking at players with zero NHL games, I think Lennart Svedberg is the best Swede.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Heres what I consider a strong candidate. Dale Derkatch. Was only 5" 5" but tore up the WHL. Played a complete game unlike a guy like Pavel Brendl. Was tough, could and did forecheck and backcheck. Was a wizard with the puck. Passing was well above average. Could shoot like the dickens.

Despite his size there was even talk of him getting a shot with an NHL team when he finished junior which was absolutely unheard of back in those days when there was basically a pre-requisite minimum size requirement.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid[]=1332

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Heres what I consider a strong candidate. Dale Derkatch. Was only 5" 5" but tore up the WHL. Played a complete game unlike a guy like Pavel Brendl. Was tough, could and did forecheck and backcheck. Was a wizard with the puck. Passing was well above average. Could shoot like the dickens.

Despite his size there was even talk of him getting a shot with an NHL team when he finished junior which was absolutely unheard of back in those days when there was basically a pre-requisite minimum size requirement.

Very interesting.
http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1983/83140.html
http://www.alloffence.ca/About_Dale_Derkatch.html
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=19605

Regarding his length, he's listed sometimes as 168 cm and sometimes as 165 cm or even less than 165 cm.

Does anyone have more information on him?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bobby Lalonde

Same size as Bobby Lalonde who had a nice run in the NHL:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lalonbo01.html

Patrice Lefebvre who was a junior and minor league star was an inch taller. had three NHL games:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lefebpa01.html

Steve Tsujiura was another WHL product similar to Dale Derkatch.

Derkatch was drafted by the Oilers, 7th round in 1983.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Same size as Bobby Lalonde who had a nice run in the NHL:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lalonbo01.html

Patrice Lefebvre who was a junior and minor league star was an inch taller. had three NHL games:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lefebpa01.html

Steve Tsujiura was another WHL product similar to Dale Derkatch.

Derkatch was drafted by the Oilers, 7th round in 1983.

I remember Lalonde and he was a good player but in fairness to Derkatch he played in an era when the small size bigotry was no where near as strong. I'm sure if we thought a bit more and researched it a bit we would find similar small players during his era. While I think I appreciate the comparison you are implying I don't know that I agree.

The other two are good examples. I remember Lefebvre but didn't see him play a lot if at all. Tsujiura was a good player who I did have the privelege of seeing play and without dissing him I can confidently say he was not as good as Derkatch.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Small Size Favouritism

I remember Lalonde and he was a good player but in fairness to Derkatch he played in an era when the small size bigotry was no where near as strong. I'm sure if we thought a bit more and researched it a bit we would find similar small players during his era. While I think I appreciate the comparison you are implying I don't know that I agree.

The other two are good examples. I remember Lefebvre but didn't see him play a lot if at all. Tsujiura was a good player who I did have the privelege of seeing play and without dissing him I can confidently say he was not as good as Derkatch.

Once the NHL Entry Draft or whatever it was called at any time, dropped to 18 one QMJHL team went the other way practicing small size favouritism.

Realizing that small players were being ignored at the QMJHL entry draft or being drafted lower than their talent they would draft such players below slot knowing that they would have a talented player for three to four seasons without the risk of losing him at 18 to the NHL.

Shawinigan got Patrice Lefebvre, Stephan and Patrick Lebeau plus a few others using this approach.

Interesting to see if junior teams in the WHL and OHL did likewise.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Looking at modern times, and players still active Magnus Johansson comes to mind. He had a short unsucessful stint with Chicago Blackhawks, otherwise he spent his entire career in SEL (except for a sucessful season in KHL and one in NLA). He holds the record for most points scored all-time by a d-man in SEL with 340 points in 547 games.

He might deserve a mention since he managed to be so good for so many seasons, his best statistical years have actually been the two last seasons, he is in his prime now as a 38-year old which is a bit funny.

He has played 201 national team games for sweden and scored 86 points(26+60). He has played 8 world championships and one olympic (2010).

I can't help to think that given he chance with the right team at the right moment of his career, he could have been a very good PP-quarterback in NHL. His Power play skills was and still is really great.

He probably doesn't qualify as one of the best with less than 100 NHL-games, but he still is kind of a still active legend in swedish hockey.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
I don't think he necessarily would have been a top NHL player. The numbers you list were possible due to him playing in the Swedish Elite League rather than in the NHL. Many of the guys with the best alltime stats in the SEL are guys who were "very good but not really good enough to be make it in the NHL". Jorgen probably would have done it, but I think you get my point. Like Rundqvist, piling up huge numbers (wasn't he the guy with most games for the Swedish national team).

If looking at players with zero NHL games, I think Lennart Svedberg is the best Swede.
Thomas Rundqvist is 3rd all-time in international caps. Jonas Bergqvist is 2nd.

I get what you're saying. However I do feel that there is a difference between Jönsson and the other top scorers in the SEL. He actually did give the NHL life a try, and he showed some potential. He's been saying numerous times that he would be staying if not for his family hacing a hard time.

The best Swede to not play in the NHL at all has to be Sven Tumba. Usually ranked top 4 (with Lidström, Forsberg and Sundin) when it comes to top Swedish players all-time. It's pointless to bring him up here though as we'd just get a discussion of whether Swedish hockey was good enough or not back in the 50s/60s. It's about as uninteresting as comparing modern NHLers to PCHA players to me.

On Pavel Brendl. Sure he scored like crazy the two seasons he spent here (at Mora and Brynäs) but the talk was constantly about how he was lazy and didn't care to work in the defensive part of the game. A very good scorer in the SEL but probably one of the most one-dimensional players I have ever seen. It's a mircale he was able to score playing under Brynäs coach Leif Boork, who is known to be a hard-nosed coach.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Thomas Rundqvist is 3rd all-time in international caps. Jonas Bergqvist is 2nd.

I meant he was no 1 alltime, until Bergqvist broke his record, and then Jorgen Jonsson broke Bergqvist's record.

I agree Jorgen Jonsson definitely would have been a NHL regular, perhaps even above average.

The best Swede to not play in the NHL at all has to be Sven Tumba. Usually ranked top 4 (with Lidström, Forsberg and Sundin) when it comes to top Swedish players all-time.

How close were Boston Bruins to give Tumba an NHL contract?

Anyway, I think Svedberg and Salming were great too, but let's just say all three were great hockey players.

Erich Kühnhackl was mentioned in the thread, and he surely could be dominant during World Championships, once winning the scoring race (although Germany played bottom 4 teams more often). I'm surprised he only were the "German player of the year" three times. He was, however, elected Germany's best hockey player of the century.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
How close were Boston Bruins to give Tumba an NHL contract?
According to Tumba himself he was offered a contract worth a huge amount of money. He didn't feel that his game was a good fit with the rough and tumble hockey played in North America back then though, so he decided to turn back to Sweden.

Before doing so, he decided to play a prank on his teammates. Being alone in the dressing room, he saw that the players false teeth were lying in glasses on a shelf. Tumba jumbled them all around and had a great laugh seeing all the players try to fit their lower jaw dentures into their upper jaw. Tumba: "I was afraid they were going to kill me afterwards, but it turned out they all broke out into a great laughter!".

edit: Curiously I found a source quoting the exact opposite. Brian MacFarlane reportedly suggests in his book on the original six Bruins that this incident is what actually caused Tumba to get "sent home to Sweden". The quote from Tumba himself is: "I don't think the Bruins accepted me and I'm sure it was because of a practical joke I played on them one day. I saw that they all joked around with each other in the dressing room and I liked that. I wanted very much to be a part of it. I noticed they all put their false teeth in little cups before a game or practice When they went on the ice I sneaked back into the room and switched all the teeth around. Did they laugh at my little prank? No, were they ever mad. From then on it was very cool between us. A few days later the manager took me aside and told me he was sending me back to Sweden."

Interesting. I guess the NHL at the time simply was no place for a character like Tumba.

Pic of Tumba in a Bruins Jersey:
tumba

Last edited:

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
more and more i think about it

im thinking vladislav tretiak

question

how many games did tretiak play for red army against nhl teams

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Erich Kühnhackl was mentioned in the thread, and he surely could be dominant during World Championships, once winning the scoring race (although Germany played bottom 4 teams more often). I'm surprised he only were the "German player of the year" three times. He was, however, elected Germany's best hockey player of the century.

He was also leading scorer at the 84 Olympics in Sarajevo. Apparently the Rangers offered him a contract sometime in the 70's but I don't believe he ever attended a NHL training camp.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
In terms of European players who played at least a bit in the NHL, Dusan Pasek also comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad