Best player outside of the NHL?

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Shestyorkin

maxresdefault.jpg

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
One would think a KHL player. I'm not familiar with the league though. I did speak to a retired player who's played in both leagues and he said KHL is higher skilled.

When a guy like Linden Vey can't make it on a weak Canucks roster and goes to the KHL to become one of the league leading scorers I find it very hard to take the bolded statement seriously...

Unless the 2nd league you don't specify isn't the NHL.

The KHL's larger international ice sheet changes how the game is played, because there is more time and space to execute - making objective comparisons difficult.

Reactions: Oddbob

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
One would think a KHL player. I'm not familiar with the league though. I did speak to a retired player who's played in both leagues and he said KHL is higher skilled.

I was speaking to Peter Forsberg the other day too and he said Simon Gagne is the most skilled shooter he's ever seen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Which team were you on?

This comment is ridiculous!

1) NHL is indeed way more skilled than the KHL (don't need some KHL'ers opinion just because he played in both)

and

2) It was this posters opinion of the post on a discussion forum where we discuss Pro Hockey, so I guess none of us get to say anything, since none of us played in any of these leagues!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
When a guy like Linden Vey can't make it on a weak Canucks roster and goes to the KHL to become one of the league leading scorers I find it very hard to take the bolded statement seriously...

Though the reason why Vey didn't make the Canucks roster was that he wasn't solid enough defensively for a bottom six role. His offensive talent was never the issue, just another guy who couldn't use the limited opportunities he got and later figured it out elsewhere.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This comment is ridiculous!

1) NHL is indeed way more skilled than the KHL (don't need some KHL'ers opinion just because he played in both)

and

2) It was this posters opinion of the post on a discussion forum where we discuss Pro Hockey, so I guess none of us get to say anything, since none of us played in any of these leagues!
1.Your opinion is of course way more educated than that of an actual pro who played in both leagues...

2.Well, for once someone really relayed a real opinion from a pro player

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've heard guys like Ryan Whitney and teddy purcell talking about their experiences in the KHL.

Both guys generally shit on their Russian experience, but they generally seemed to acknowledge that the individual talent level is pretty darn high over there.

But I'm guessing that there are many highly talented players that just fit the KHL style better. It doesn't mean it would necessarily translate into the NHL. Not because the are not highly skilled, but for a variety of reasons, their game thrives on having more open ice.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Obviously I won't divulge who the player is, but here's his quote verbatim.

Me: "What was the difference in speed and skill between NHL AHL ECHL and euro leagues?"

Player: "A lot. Every level up is just a little bit better. After you are there and practicing your game and level raises. ECHL then AHL is crisper and faster, then NHL is a high level. Passing is so bang on the tape etc. I thought the most skilled league I played in by far was the KHL. They don’t have checkers and grinders and roll players like in North America. Every guy tries to be like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Datsyuk etc"

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gusev. Just ask Vegas who have been giving first line minutes to Valentin Zykov for what can only be presumed to be some desperate attempt to show Gusev that they don't mistreat all Russians.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What's Gusev's deal? Doesn't trust Vegas management?
Maybe but I think he just wanted to stay in Russia. I'm pretty sure McPhee recently traveled to Russia before the year started to talk to Gusev and I'd imagine he'll be going back when the KHL season is over. Getting him would be an enormous boost.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Obviously I won't divulge who the player is, but here's his quote verbatim.

Me: "What was the difference in speed and skill between NHL AHL ECHL and euro leagues?"

Player: "A lot. Every level up is just a little bit better. After you are there and practicing your game and level raises. ECHL then AHL is crisper and faster, then NHL is a high level. Passing is so bang on the tape etc. I thought the most skilled league I played in by far was the KHL. They don’t have checkers and grinders and roll players like in North America. Every guy tries to be like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Datsyuk etc"
Because they only play a skill game doesn’t mean their players are more skilled. That quote tells me that the player is saying they play a skilled style, not that the league is more skilled.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Maybe but I think he just wanted to stay in Russia. I'm pretty sure McPhee recently traveled to Russia before the year started to talk to Gusev and I'd imagine he'll be going back when the KHL season is over. Getting him would be an enormous boost.
After the Shipachyov situation McPhee has tge worst deck on his hands. He should trade his rights to a team that can be attractive.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Because they only play a skill game doesn’t mean their players are more skilled. That quote tells me that the player is saying they play a skilled style, not that the league is more skilled.

That's my take on it as well. That is, that the KHL puts a greater emphasis on individual hockey skills ie. skating, passing, shooting, etc. and less on the defensive zone strategies, checking, breakouts, and systems prevalent in the NHL.

Or at least that's the only logical explanation I can understand. Anyone genuinely arguing that KHL players (either peak or average) are more skilled = better than those in the NHL is completely out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad