Best Player in Tourny

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Who is the best player in the WJC (not who's played best) right now?

I say either Vanek, MAF, Parise, or Ovechkin. It's a shame Vanek isn't on a better team.

chicpea*

BartG101 said:
Who is the best player in the WJC (not who's played best) right now?

I say either Vanek, MAF, Parise, or Ovechkin. It's a shame Vanek isn't on a better team.

I would say Parise is close but not best - but I've only seen him one game, and judging from that game he played like 40 minutes and I think just about all of any of the first lines from the major teams could put up the same numbers with those mins. That said, I'd go with Montoya, Phaneuf, Filppula or Stewart. Slightly biased I guess, but blame TSN for not playing all the games!

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Right now I'd say Parise would be the odds on favor to win tournament MVP.

The gold medal game could change that if someone steps up on team Canada and has a big game, say for example, Carter - who already has two player of the game's for Canada, Stewart or even perhaps Dawes.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think you guys misread his question. He's not asking who the top performer at the tournament has been, he wants to know who is the best hockey player over there.

It's sort of a weird question. As far as an answer is concerned, I'd have to say Marc-Andre Fleury because he is playing in the NHL and assuming a significant role when he does, whereas everyone else is still a non-NHLer or a less important player to their NHL team like Burns or Hudler.

The Rage

Epsilon said:
I think you guys misread his question. He's not asking who the top performer at the tournament has been, he wants to know who is the best hockey player over there.

It's sort of a weird question. As far as an answer is concerned, I'd have to say Marc-Andre Fleury because he is playing in the NHL and assuming a significant role when he does, whereas everyone else is still a non-NHLer or a less important player to their NHL team like Burns or Hudler.

Holy crap. I'm surprised that I, and most of those who've posted, completely missed that, especially when he explicity said "not who has played best." In any case, I'd say Fleury.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Official all-star team

Goalie : Montoya (USA)

D-mens : Phaneuf (CAN)
Lepisto ( FIN )

Fowards :
Carter (CAN )
Parise ( USA )
Filppula ( FIN )

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Well, the NHLer's SHOULD be the best players, but in most cases they aren't. Parise will be in the NHL in 2 seasons, and be a star. Vanek will be a 4th liner in Buffalo who will be -33, but will get 14 PP goals a year. Tambellini is a good player, better than many others. Crosby, even though he didn't look as good as I would have guessed, is only 16 and will be MUCH better than almost anyone in this tournment when he is 20 or 21.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
question: What if Canada won the gold medal 3-2, would Montoya still be the best goalie of the tournament ? I don't think so

my choice: Hannu Toivonen

-HIFK-

No way was Ovechkin one of the better players in this tournament.

His play didn´t amount to much of anything, and I´d list him up there on the "disappointments"-list along with Jiri Hudler. They didn´t suck, that´s not what I mean, but compared to the hype and expectations, they turned out to be just a couple of mortals after all.

Too much effort? Trying too hard to carry their teams alone?

And now I finally see, that you were talking about the best player, not who played best... Well, I´ll still stick with my post, and according to these games, Ovechkin wasn´t quite what he was expected to be. Not saying he won´t be, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiki75

Jan 5, 2004
-HIFK- said:
No way was Ovechkin one of the better players in this tournament.

His play didn´t amount to much of anything, and I´d list him up there on the "disappointments"-list along with Jiri Hudler. They didn´t suck, that´s not what I mean, but compared to the hype and expectations, they turned out to be just a couple of mortals after all.

Too much effort? Trying too hard to carry their teams alone?

And now I finally see, that you were talking about the best player, not who played best... Well, I´ll still stick with my post, and according to these games, Ovechkin wasn´t quite what he was expected to be. Not saying he won´t be, though.

I totally agree with you.

Best player on WJC was Montoya. After all he is the only reason why US were at the final.

Hockeypuck

Tiki75 said:
I totally agree with you.

Best player on WJC was Montoya. After all he is the only reason why US were at the final.
Montoya was good,but he wasn't even really tested til the Canada game. If he was the only reason the US was in the finals what game or games did he steal?

Tiki75

Jan 5, 2004
Hockeypuck said:
Montoya was good,but he wasn't even really tested til the Canada game. If he was the only reason the US was in the finals what game or games did he steal?

Game against Finland...

Hockeypuck

Tiki75 said:
Game against Finland...
He played solid against Finland,but the team defense was even better. I wouldn't say he stole that game.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
BartG101 said:
It's a shame Vanek isn't on a better team.

Vanek wants to play for Austria through thick and thin, I give him credit to stick with his home country, even if he could of easily ran off to play with USA from the start...

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
FSU Seminoles said:
question: What if Canada won the gold medal 3-2, would Montoya still be the best goalie of the tournament ? I don't think so

my choice: Hannu Toivonen

I agree. Tovonen looked great against the US and kept the Finns in every game they played. Montoya had a much better team to work with IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->