Speculation: Best Player in Sens History?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
In terms of peak performance it has to be Karlsson (2 Norrises! Norrii?). In terms of accumulated performance (kind of like the WAR measure in baseball) it has to be Alfie.

Unfortunately we didn't have Chara or Stone for long enough to accumulate enough performance to surpass others such as Spezza. We can blame our various front offices for that.

Reactions: Tuna99

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
"Best" is truly a subjective word. Hockey is a complex sport as it takes a certain type of player with a specific mindset that is required to achieve ultimate success.

Do you ever wonder why there is only one or two "stand out" players in a given draft year? Usually that player goes first overall and is generally regarded as the consensus pick for that draft year and going back a decade and a half now, the #1 pick has almost always been the best player of that draft. Furthermore, it takes almost a span of a decade for truly generational players to emerge, barring exceptions, like in 2004 and 2005 when arguably two of the best players in NHL history were drafted 1st overall.

So without going too much "off topic", with regards to the Senators, "the best" is probably too general of a term for me to give an answer so I will break it down in a way that hopefully provides an acceptable answer;

In my opinion:

Most skilled: Jason Spezza

Most dynamic: Erik Karlsson

Most complete: Daniel Alfredsson

Of course, being as it is such a subjective question, there will be many correct answers based on what different members here believe are the requirements for being labeled "best"; most points? Most goals? Most individual awards? Most skill? A combination of these?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Erik Karlsson is the best player to put on a Sens sweater; Alfredsson left a better "legacy" as the captain.
Hasek is a good call but we're talking about skaters I assume, so I have Karlsson ahead of him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
EK
Alfie
Chara
Hossa
Spezza
Mike Fisher
Stone
Redden
Phillips
Neil
————
(Will be there)
Tkachuk
Chabot
————-
(Just Mancrush)
Volchenkov
Hank (Dean Maccammonds alter-ego)
Emery

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Conversation gets more interesting if you rank by the peak single season as a senator.

Karl wins handily still but Heatley and Yashin sneak in a lot higher.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Best Talent: EK
Best Player start to finish: Alfie
Best passer: Spezza
Best sniper: Heatley/Alfie/Yashin
Best Goalie: Hasek

Alfie is hard to top as best all around player.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
HOSSA might be in the Hockey Hall Of Fame next year! Chew on that...
Being Toews, Kane, and Keith's backup dancer was a nice gig. :laugh:

Hossa was a very good player and very talented. Is he HHoF worthy? I mean, there's a strong argument to be made in his favour. But let's be honest: Ottawa was never going to win with him as the team's top dog at forward.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Most skilled - Yashin followed by Spezza
Best Sens career - Alfie followed by Karlsson
Best overall player - Hossa followed by Alfie
Most exciting player - Karlsson followed by Havlat

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
Alfie by alot for me.

He's the type of bonafide captain and franchise player in my eyes, good in both ends of the ice and had both great vision and a lethal shot to go along with it. Excelling in most situations he was put in. God I miss him on the team :(

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It is hard to name anyone except Alfredsson, but when I see 'best player', then Yashin and Hossa comes to mind

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

Hossa was a very good player and very talented. Is he HHoF worthy? I mean, there's a strong argument to be made in his favour. But let's be honest: Ottawa was never going to win with him as the team's top dog at forward.
Disagree. Completely.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

To be fair, wasn't Hossa past his prime when he was in Chicago?

A prime Hossa is an elite player and I am pretty sure any Stanley Cup winning team would love to have him on their team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad