• Alexei Yashin

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
This is an interesting one. Spez was as skilled as they come but he doesn’t even get a blip on the radar from Sens fans (which I don’t necessarily disagree with). There is a lot more to being the greatest than pure skill.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Alfredsson
Chara
Hossa

and even Yashin, Heatley, and Spezza at their peak

HoF/ elite players and they can't hold a candle to Karlsson at his peak level.

One of the all time greats vs just HoF players.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Karlsson was traded at 28 y/o... and he started being diminished by injuries at 22 y/o. The AINEC would be if he played (nearly) his whole career in Ottawa and if he never dealt with that kind of injuries

Alfredsson played in Ottawa until 41 y/o and is 35th in all-time scoring if you consider that he played the whole dead-puck era.

Karlsson, for a few years, was considered one of the maybe five (three by some) players in the world. Alfredsson never hit that high. The question isn't who the greatest Senator is. Erik Karlsson is the absolute best player to put on a Senators jersey.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Karlsson, for a few years, was considered one of the maybe five (three by some) players in the world. Alfredsson never hit that high. The question isn't who the greatest Senator is. Erik Karlsson is the absolute best player to put on a Senators jersey.

Yashin was 2nd for the Hart in 19989-99, Karlsson was never higher than 5th. Should we vote Yashin?

I think there's a semantics problem here, as usual actually

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No. Karlsson at his best was better than Yashin in 98/99.

Yes but I was trying to highlight that we're debating semantics here

Peak vs best overall... Or does best means peak? Then what would it be for best overall, as in for the specific franchise?

I find that polls questions are often not specific enough

When I read this "Best player in franchise history", I think who had the greatest career with that particular team? Of course longevity is going to play a HUGE part in the decision. It's like Joe Sakic vs Peter Forsberg for example... who was the greatest player for the Avs?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Yes but I was trying to highlight that we're debating semantics here

Peak vs best overall... Or does best means peak? Then what would it be for best overall, as in for the specific franchise?

I find that polls questions are often not specific enough

When I read this "Best player in franchise history", I think who had the greatest career with that particular team? Of course longevity is going to play a HUGE part in the decision. It's like Joe Sakic vs Peter Forsberg for example... who was the greatest player for the Avs?

Peak is one thing, but Karlsson was an absolute monster for like what, six years? That's not really just a peak, more prime (semantics, hello!). But I see where you're coming from too, of course.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Best player in franchise history is Dominik Hasek.

But that’s like saying St.Louis’ best player in franchise history is Wayne Gretzky.

It’s Daniel Alfredsson although an argument can be made for Karlsson.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
This.

At their respective best, E.K. was the much better player. AINEC.

D.A. will get most votes because of leadership, longevity, and captain of Finals team.

Yet, what E.K. did with that 2017 Sens squad is much more impressive than D.A. getting a cup caliber team to the SCF.

This I will agree with.

Some goalie with an ugly helmet was a far better player than either of those.

However, I had to vote for Alfie here.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
This list got me wondering, Have the Senators ever had a player that played there entire career with them? Excluding players who couldn't stay in the league because of suckage of course.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson was the best while wearing the jersey (2x Norris)
Alfredsson was the greatest player associated with the jersey
And Hasek was the greatest player to wear the jersey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's sort of an interesting question.

I think in terms of career longevity and the sum total of contributions, you have to go with Alfredsson, but that's a bit of a no-brainer.

With respect to peak, while Karlsson is the easy answer, with his dominant 2017 playoff run attracting a lot of justified attention along with his Norris wins, Alfredsson's own peak play in 2007 was impressive as well, and perhaps more well-rounded.

He led the NHL playoffs in goals and points that year while playing a very physical, all-around game that set the tone for the team and averaging 23:20 in ice-time a game. He also led the NHL playoffs in game-winning goals, even-strength goals and powerplay goals, while also scoring an impressive shorthanded goal in the Finals.

Overall, I think Karlsson was the most highly-skilled player ever in a Senators uniform, but I'd put Alfredsson as the "best". At his best, I think his game had no weaknesses.

But I can certainly understand why some would vote the other way.

Reactions: bert

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Since before 1883? :eek3:

:sarcasm:

b986d4440bc3e78fcee9e86837ddfb52 (2).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Elvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad