Best player from this draft

Best player. Laf or the field?

• Total voters

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Byfield actually uses a much shorter stick than most 6'4 guys. Sam Cosintino has spoken about it.

Irregardless if he uses his size and reach effectively has nothing to do with him at his peak already. Its ridiculous to me
Don't get caught up on the term peak. Just think of it as a player who struggles to get to that next level. He needs to play more aggressive to get there.

The fact he uses a shorter stick means he hasn't learned how to use a longer one. Probably the same one he used when he was 5'7.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Byfield actually uses a much shorter stick than most 6'4 guys. Sam Cosintino has spoken about it.

Irregardless if he uses his size and reach effectively has nothing to do with him at his peak already. Its ridiculous to me

Well he isn’t at his peak, but at a physical maturity level he might be a year or two ahead of people his own age meaning they might improve a heck of a lot more than he does over the next few years.
It sucks when a team gets stuck with a dud but everyone is in on that risk so who knows

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't see it as luck necessarily. The Kings are in love with Stutzle for good reason. Both are going to be great players and I honestly don't care who we end up with.

They could be in love just to see if the sens want to hand over a boatload of goods to move up.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You may be right, but I just don't see the Sens doing that & looking to add NHL players to this roster especially given they said that they want a young team. IMO they continue to build from the draft which is why I think more picks in other drafts becomes important to them. I don't see this team competing next season & possibly the season after that. They have too many passengers on this team now that they must move on from & that takes time from a bottom feeder team.

In fact, I don't see them doing much until after the Seattle expansion draft when I think they start really trying to field a playoff team. I think we are 3 to 5 yrs away from this team competing for a playoff spot & eventually a SC. And that's why I think they move on from so many players currently on their roster to younger & cheaper players as they lock in their stars of tomorrow BT, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Formenton, Pinto, JBD ...

The recent history of the NHL is that turn arounds are happening quicker than they historically have.

Imo we were already on the upswing this past season with our young players being our better players. And now we've got this 2020 stockpile of picks in what is expected to be a draft for the ages.

I don't buy this 3 to 5 years stuff at all. The way i see it, we are either right about our young talent and the talent available at the front end of this draft or we're not. If we're right, this isn't a 3 to 5 year thing. If we're wrong, there's no telling what it will take because then you are in to rebuild 2.0.

The scheer number of guys we'll have entering or in their statistical prime by 2022 is crazy. And those guys will be supplemented by 3 and 5 from this year.

They are either the right guys or they are not.

Reactions: Xspyrit

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He's had a growth spurt that has made him physically stronger than most OHL players. he has good skill to be a top player though that doesn't always translate to NHL success. From the limited viewings I've seen from him he's a big man that lacks agility ie Spezza. He benefits from a run and gun style of the OHL and scores a lot in transition.

I do not see a Byfield = Spezza comparison as a bad thing at all.

Reactions: Stylizer1

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Don't get caught up on the term peak. Just think of it as a player who struggles to get to that next level. He needs to play more aggressive to get there.

I fully agree that he needs to play more aggressive . I've alluded to it in the past

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You may be right, but I just don't see the Sens doing that & looking to add NHL players to this roster especially given they said that they want a young team. IMO they continue to build from the draft which is why I think more picks in other drafts becomes important to them. I don't see this team competing next season & possibly the season after that. They have too many passengers on this team now that they must move on from & that takes time from a bottom feeder team.

An organization with an owner with a willingness to spend would seize that opportunity. I have seen others talk about this, the Sens have a golden opportunity to speed up the rebuild and start competing sooner than later. They could benefit from having many key players on their ELCs or RFA contracts for years. But Melnyk won't have the financial balls to do that

You say they want a young team and it's true, of course, but it's also possible to acquire young players... Look at how 23 y/o Duclair was acquired, can't say the price was heavy too as he came with two 2nd round picks for a UFA to be middle-6 scoring forward. This is not the perfect example as he was more a reclamation project but look at the age guys like Tyler Seguin, Filip Forsberg and Seth Jones were acquired for example. With the cap not raising for a few years, some teams will be forced to make some sacrifice. Getting a 23-25 y/o player wouldn't screw up the rebuild at all and the guy wouldn't be too "old" for the Sens.

In fact, I don't see them doing much until after the Seattle expansion draft when I think they start really trying to field a playoff team. I think we are 3 to 5 yrs away from this team competing for a playoff spot & eventually a SC. And that's why I think they move on from so many players currently on their roster to younger & cheaper players as they lock in their stars of tomorrow BT, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Formenton, Pinto, JBD ...

This is crazy but you can possibly be right. But that would mean that the rebuild was a major failure and if Melnyk is still the owner by then and there is no new arena downtown (or at least underway), the Ottawa Senators franchise could be in serious trouble and a threat to be moved. I know the league would rather not do that but you have to be able to follow financially to be in the NHL. The cap will continue to rise after the covid effect. Unless Ottawa's economy expands differently during that period, having Melyk, no downtown arena and a losing team for a almost 10 years, I don't see how the Sens revenues could be enough to justify having a NHL team.

In 5 years, Chabot, Balcers and White will be 28 y/o, Connor Brown will be 31 y/o, Duclair, Paul and Wolanin will be 30 y/o, Batherson and Brown 27 y/o, Tkachuk will be 25 y/o so the clock will already be ticking for the new guard and the window of opportunity might end up being very short. So basically, you'll have to rebuild the rebuild like I have told you in another post

Of course they are going to move on from several players still on the roster (Tierney, Ryan, Anisimov, Zaitsev, Reilly, Nilsson), but like it or not, the future lineup is already shaping up. OF COURSE, not ALL prospect/young players will be in the line-up in 5 years... I don't understand the point in even saying that, it's captain obvious materials but you can expect most of these guys to be there :

Tkachuk
Batherson
Norris
Formenton
Pinto
Top-3 pick
top-5 pick (if they take another forward of course)

Chabot
Brannstrom
Thomson
JBD

Many guys with question marks : Brown? Brown? White? Duclair? Balcers? Abramov? Chlapik? Paul? Hawryluk? Abramov? Gruden? Crookshank? Wolanin? Zub? Jaros? Guenette? Maybe a few others might make a case...

Some of the guys with question marks WILL be there.

Finally, I have no idea why you say this : "that's why I think they move on from so many players currently on their roster to younger & cheaper players"...

I mean, they JUST DID THAT. Of course, there's still a few vets and a few placeholders on the team so it is not a "finished product" but like I am trying to tell you, they are NOT going to rebuild the rebuild, like you seemed to imply initially with 57% of the roster coming from the 2020 draft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hoping the right answer is the field because we don't have a shot at Laf but we have more quality shots in the field then anyone else...
The only way you take a player vs the field is in a Crosby or Mcdavid situation. This is not one of those situations, it would not suprise me in the least if Stuzle, Byfield or Drysdale end up being the best player in this draft. Byfield has the highest ceiling already. If you have to take one guy ofcourse its Lafreniere but he isnt that far ahead of the competition that its a no brainer to say him vs the field.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
An organization with an owner with a willingness to spend would seize that opportunity. I have seen others talk about this, the Sens have a golden opportunity to speed up the rebuild and start competing sooner than later. They could benefit from having many key players on their ELCs or RFA contracts for years. But Melnyk won't have the financial balls to do that

You say they want a young team and it's true, of course, but it's also possible to acquire young players... Look at how 23 y/o Duclair was acquired, can't say the price was heavy too as he came with two 2nd round picks for a UFA to be middle-6 scoring forward. This is not the perfect example as he was more a reclamation project but look at the age guys like Tyler Seguin, Filip Forsberg and Seth Jones were acquired for example. With the cap not raising for a few years, some teams will be forced to make some sacrifice. Getting a 23-25 y/o player wouldn't screw up the rebuild at all and the guy wouldn't be too "old" for the Sens.

This is crazy but you can possibly be right. But that would mean that the rebuild was a major failure and if Melnyk is still the owner by then and there is no new arena downtown (or at least underway), the Ottawa Senators franchise could be in serious trouble and a threat to be moved. I know the league would rather not do that but you have to be able to follow financially to be in the NHL. The cap will continue to rise after the covid effect. Unless Ottawa's economy expands differently during that period, having Melyk, no downtown arena and a losing team for a almost 10 years, I don't see how the Sens revenues could be enough to justify having a NHL team.

In 5 years, Chabot, Balcers and White will be 28 y/o, Connor Brown will be 31 y/o, Duclair, Paul and Wolanin will be 30 y/o, Batherson and Brown 27 y/o, Tkachuk will be 25 y/o so the clock will already be ticking for the new guard and the window of opportunity might end up being very short. So basically, you'll have to rebuild the rebuild like I have told you in another post

Of course they are going to move on from several players still on the roster (Tierney, Ryan, Anisimov, Zaitsev, Reilly, Nilsson), but like it or not, the future lineup is already shaping up. OF COURSE, not ALL prospect/young players will be in the line-up in 5 years... I don't understand the point in even saying that, it's captain obvious materials but you can expect most of these guys to be there :

Tkachuk
Batherson
Norris
Formenton
Pinto
Top-3 pick
top-5 pick (if they take another forward of course)

Chabot
Brannstrom
Thomson
JBD

Many guys with question marks : Brown? Brown? White? Duclair? Balcers? Abramov? Chlapik? Paul? Hawryluk? Abramov? Gruden? Crookshank? Wolanin? Zub? Jaros? Guenette? Maybe a few others might make a case...

Some of the guys with question marks WILL be there.

Finally, I have no idea why you say this : "that's why I think they move on from so many players currently on their roster to younger & cheaper players"...

I mean, they JUST DID THAT. Of course, there's still a few vets and a few placeholders on the team so it is not a "finished product" but like I am trying to tell you, they are NOT going to rebuild the rebuild, like you seemed to imply initially with 57% of the roster coming from the 2020 draft.
This is just becoming a circular argument that I expect it will take longer to finish this rebuild & you would prefer it go quicker. I think we all prefer it go quicker & they do all kinds of things like acquire good young players, but as you know that is easier said than done. I think you are reading more into what I'm saying than what I actually mean.

When exactly do you expect this team to make the playoffs & contend for a cup in 2, 3 or 5 yrs? I think it will take about 3 yrs to contend for a playoff spot & 5 yrs to content for a SC. In that time a lot of the players on the current team will be 5 yrs older & my guess is that a good number of them won't be there any longer. Hopefully, I'm wrong & they contend much sooner, but I just don't see it. Lots of teams make the playoffs & never get good enough to make it to the end.

Obviously not all the 2020 draft picks will be NHL players & replace half the team & they won't have to. Ottawa will make trades every yr & hopefully add at least one good young player per yr, most are hoping for Sergachev this yr. Not sure he would come here to play but he might given there are a couple of other Russians here already. But I agree there will be other young players available but it will also depend what they will want in return & it makes little sense to give away a young player & acquire a similar young player unless both need a change of scenery. Maybe they sign a couple of good NCAA players too who stick over the course of the next few yrs.

Every yr they will add a few players that have developed in their system as well & every yr they will draft a few players who are much closer to being NHL players & won't need as much development time & some longer. But all that still takes time, it doesn't happen in 2 or 3 yrs, all of the teams playing for a SC today have had their main stars for at least 5 yrs. And of course, they will need ownership that is willing to spend when the time comes to lock these guys up, at least some of them. Look how long it is taking the Leafs, they've barely made the playoffs & they are not there yet. Edm, Arz, Nashville, Columbus, Florida & others have all had their problems & have all had some good draft picks over the yrs. It takes time & it takes the right kind of players, coaches, mangers & ownership & they need their fans to support them.

Pinto & JBD for example, are going back to school for next season, that puts them at least another yr away from playing in Ottawa. It's also likely they will start in the AHL & play there for maybe a full yr, that's now 2 yrs away from playing in Ottawa. It will probably take them a yr to get their groove on in the NHL which makes it 3 yrs & so on. I imagine they will all most likely be similar, hence the 5 yr window, if not longer. I just don't see it happening sooner, sorry.

- The Stittsville/Kanata area around the arena is growing by leaps & bounds. There must be at least 10,000 new homes that have been built in the Kanata/Stittsville area over the last few yrs, if not more. I kind of agree with EM that he doesn't need to move downtown & has enough suburban population growing around the arena to sustain it. There will always be those who drive from farther away to go to a game as well, I've been to Montreal to see games multiple times.

Some people will go to Kanata to see the team play if they want to see NHL hockey in Ottawa, & not everyone cares about the owner enough to not go to games, when they have them that is. It's clearly not a popular view on here, but it's an observation given I have lived about 15 minutes from the arena since they built it & have seen all the growth in this area. I used to have deer in my yard & now there are homes everywhere & it's not stopping, but accelerating & moving further west & south of the city.

Reactions: thinkwild

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
No secrets here, but I think Byfield is going to end up being the best player from the draft.

I really didnt want to have to pass on Laf, and likely wouldn't, but not having to make that decision is 10 times easier.

One dimensional player with a good shot. Tends to wait for the loose pucks à la Bure, to start the rush. It will take a lot of time for him to mature and change this. Bure never changed his style by the way.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Byfield is either peaking too early or is the second coming of Spezza.

He is nothing like Spezza. Byfield is always sitting and waiting for the loose pucks in the defensive zone to start a rush. Not involved at all physically, always cheating, not helping defense, it drives coaches nuts.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
In World Juniors Byfield was not effective at all, because things were tight, people skate there at the same level like him or better. Teams would not give many opportunities to rush the puck. Byfield is not great at cycling. His passing game has to improve. He needs to improve on his edge work big time. Looks very much as an unfinished product. As I said, his forward speed is above average and he has a very good shot.

From zero to five for Byfield

-Skating 3.5
-Shooting 4.5
-Defensive work 2.5
-Passing 3.5
-Stamina 4.5
-Hockey sense 3.9
-Cycling the puck 3.5

People overvalue him for his size. He is not Eric Lindros.

Eric Lindros of the past draft year

-Skating 4.5
-Shooting 4.7
-Defensive work 4.2
-Passing 4.5
-Stamina 5.00
-Hockey sense 4.9
-Cycling the puck 5.0

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
My best five NHL draft 2020

Alexis Lafrenière
Jamie Drysdale
Cole Perfetti
Tim Stützle
Lucas Raymond

I would draft Jamie Drysdale and Cole Perfetti if he is available at number 5. If not - Lucas Raymond, he needs to improve his shot though. But he is a reincarnation of Daniel Alfredsson with an average shot.
Raymond has the best play making ability of the draft equal only to Lafrenière - a generational player. You can not afford to pass on such a gem. Raymond with Drysdale on a power play with Chabot and Tkachuk in the front of the net will make a living hell for any teams.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
One dimensional player with a good shot. Tends to wait for the loose pucks à la Bure, to start the rush. It will take a lot of time for him to mature and change this. Bure never changed his style by the way.

This is easily the worst comparison yet, hands down. And at this point I'm just laughing and super curious to see what someone can come up with next.

I thought Zibanejad was pretty far off when I heard it made the other day, because Byfield is a playmaker with elite vision, thrives with the puck on his stick. Hes not a shoot first player at all, but like Spezza has a deadly one when he decides to use it.

But this one is just, wow... Its like you've literally never even read ascouting profile on Byfield, and you just grabbed the worst things you've heard about him made a wildly inaccurate comparison nearly out of thin air.

Seriously... this is just horrible misinformation. Although I dont think anyone agrees with you so I can probably leave it alone...

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is just becoming a circular argument that I expect it will take longer to finish this rebuild & you would prefer it go quicker. I think we all prefer it go quicker & they do all kinds of things like acquire good young players, but as you know that is easier said than done. I think you are reading more into what I'm saying than what I actually mean.

When exactly do you expect this team to make the playoffs & contend for a cup in 2, 3 or 5 yrs? I think it will take about 3 yrs to contend for a playoff spot & 5 yrs to content for a SC. In that time a lot of the players on the current team will be 5 yrs older & my guess is that a good number of them won't be there any longer. Hopefully, I'm wrong & they contend much sooner, but I just don't see it. Lots of teams make the playoffs & never get good enough to make it to the end.

Obviously not all the 2020 draft picks will be NHL players & replace half the team & they won't have to. Ottawa will make trades every yr & hopefully add at least one good young player per yr, most are hoping for Sergachev this yr. Not sure he would come here to play but he might given there are a couple of other Russians here already. But I agree there will be other young players available but it will also depend what they will want in return & it makes little sense to give away a young player & acquire a similar young player unless both need a change of scenery. Maybe they sign a couple of good NCAA players too who stick over the course of the next few yrs.

Every yr they will add a few players that have developed in their system as well & every yr they will draft a few players who are much closer to being NHL players & won't need as much development time & some longer. But all that still takes time, it doesn't happen in 2 or 3 yrs, all of the teams playing for a SC today have had their main stars for at least 5 yrs. And of course, they will need ownership that is willing to spend when the time comes to lock these guys up, at least some of them. Look how long it is taking the Leafs, they've barely made the playoffs & they are not there yet. Edm, Arz, Nashville, Columbus, Florida & others have all had their problems & have all had some good draft picks over the yrs. It takes time & it takes the right kind of players, coaches, mangers & ownership & they need their fans to support them.

Pinto & JBD for example, are going back to school for next season, that puts them at least another yr away from playing in Ottawa. It's also likely they will start in the AHL & play there for maybe a full yr, that's now 2 yrs away from playing in Ottawa. It will probably take them a yr to get their groove on in the NHL which makes it 3 yrs & so on. I imagine they will all most likely be similar, hence the 5 yr window, if not longer. I just don't see it happening sooner, sorry.

- The Stittsville/Kanata area around the arena is growing by leaps & bounds. There must be at least 10,000 new homes that have been built in the Kanata/Stittsville area over the last few yrs, if not more. I kind of agree with EM that he doesn't need to move downtown & has enough suburban population growing around the arena to sustain it. There will always be those who drive from farther away to go to a game as well, I've been to Montreal to see games multiple times.

Some people will go to Kanata to see the team play if they want to see NHL hockey in Ottawa, & not everyone cares about the owner enough to not go to games, when they have them that is. It's clearly not a popular view on here, but it's an observation given I have lived about 15 minutes from the arena since they built it & have seen all the growth in this area. I used to have deer in my yard & now there are homes everywhere & it's not stopping, but accelerating & moving further west & south of the city.

Depends on what you mean by contends for a cup

Many say it's the hardest trophy to win. We were an OT goal away from the final. Were we contenders? I thought we deserved the two series we won and i dont buy any bs about unsustainable goaltending or getting lucky. That said it was a Cinderella run and i don't think even the most optimistic fans, of which I'm one, pegged us as a contender to start the playoffs

On the other hand, there were a lot of years where i thought we were contenders but we didn't get out of the second round. All those losses to the Leafs were f***ing painful. But we were contenders every year there.

I think a contender is a top 10 team heading into the playoffs and you need things to go your way.... on so many levels. Health. Bad bounces versus good. Goal reviews (sadly).

I think we can be a playoff team in 2021-22 and fyous starts the year after. That has the 2020 draft players in their D + 3 seasons and they should be 150 nhl games into their careers. And it has guys like Brown, Batherson, Norris and Formenton in their prime.

For me at least, if we're not in that top 10 club going into the 22-23 playoffs then we don't have the right core players. I'm not saying we are going to win but it'll be heartbreaking when we lose

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Lots of talent in the cupboard with the young guns rising to the top of their game. The competition for spots on the squad will be fierce.
As they exit their entry level contracts will EM offer market value contracts so the team can compete for a cup run? This will ultimately determine Ottawa's fate as a competitive franchise.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The only way you take a player vs the field is in a Crosby or Mcdavid situation. This is not one of those situations, it would not suprise me in the least if Stuzle, Byfield or Drysdale end up being the best player in this draft. Byfield has the highest ceiling already. If you have to take one guy ofcourse its Lafreniere but he isnt that far ahead of the competition that its a no brainer to say him vs the field.

Wouldn’t Drysdale have to be just below Karlsson level to be considered the best player of this draft?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn’t Drysdale have to be just below Karlsson level to be considered the best player of this draft?
He would have to be pretty good yup. Thats his absolute max of course. But he is extremely talented, world class skating and hockey iq, with leadership qualities to boot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Depends on what you mean by contends for a cup

Many say it's the hardest trophy to win. We were an OT goal away from the final. Were we contenders? I thought we deserved the two series we won and i dont buy any bs about unsustainable goaltending or getting lucky. That said it was a Cinderella run and i don't think even the most optimistic fans, of which I'm one, pegged us as a contender to start the playoffs

On the other hand, there were a lot of years where i thought we were contenders but we didn't get out of the second round. All those losses to the Leafs were f***ing painful. But we were contenders every year there.

I think a contender is a top 10 team heading into the playoffs and you need things to go your way.... on so many levels. Health. Bad bounces versus good. Goal reviews (sadly).

I think we can be a playoff team in 2021-22 and fyous starts the year after. That has the 2020 draft players in their D + 3 seasons and they should be 150 nhl games into their careers. And it has guys like Brown, Batherson, Norris and Formenton in their prime.

For me at least, if we're not in that top 10 club going into the 22-23 playoffs then we don't have the right core players. I'm not saying we are going to win but it'll be heartbreaking when we lose

If Ottawa is lucky the top teams in the NHL today might be getting older & a few of their star players could be getting older & skills dimensioning. Hopefully, at that point our young guns start to peak in the 22-23 season & make the playoffs & contend for a SC in a couple more yrs after that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hoping the right answer is the field because we don't have a shot at Laf but we have more quality shots in the field then anyone else...

For sure, I see Ottawa coming out of this draft, whenever it happens, better than anyone else.... including team E.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Historically Daigle actually had a really good rookie season

He fell apart for different reasons.

Also doesnt answer my question

alexandre-daigle-nurse.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad