Best player from this draft

Best player. Laf or the field?

• Total voters

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lafreniere is the clear cut consensus #1 pick. But lots of guys are saying down the road that this guy or that guy could be the best player.

Who do you take as best player from the draft.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
No secrets here, but I think Byfield is going to end up being the best player from the draft.

I really didnt want to have to pass on Laf, and likely wouldn't, but not having to make that decision is 10 times easier.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No secrets here, but I think Byfield is going to end up being the best player from the draft.

I really didnt want to have to pass on Laf, and likely wouldn't, but not having to make that decision is 10 times easier.

We may be in luck in that indications are that the Kings are in love with Stutzle. If that holds, then Byfield falls to us at three, which would be amazing luck on our part...

Reactions: aragorn

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
We may be in luck in that indications are that the Kings are in love with Stutzle. If that holds, then Byfield falls to us at three, which would be amazing luck on our part...

I don't see it as luck necessarily. The Kings are in love with Stutzle for good reason. Both are going to be great players and I honestly don't care who we end up with.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't see it as luck necessarily. The Kings are in love with Stutzle for good reason. Both are going to be great players and I honestly don't care who we end up with.

Fair point, and in a way we should be thankful to the Kings for taking the guesswork out of it for us. They're going to take one of them, and we take the other - it's pretty simple. What I don't want us to do is try to get cute by reaching for Drysdale, trading down for extra assets, etc. I don't think that will happen, but it's important for Dorion and team not to overthink this - there is a clear top three at the top of the draft, and we're getting one of them. Just sit tight, don't do anything dumb, and take the one who falls to us.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Fair point, and in a way we should be thankful to the Kings for taking the guesswork out of it for us. They're going to take one of them, and we take the other - it's pretty simple. What I don't want us to do is try to get cute by reaching for Drysdale, trading down for extra assets, etc. I don't think that will happen, but it's important for Dorion and team not to overthink this - there is a clear top three at the top of the draft, and we're getting one of them. Just sit tight, don't do anything dumb, and take the one who falls to us.

Same story with #5, only two options are Raymond and Drysdale.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Exactly, get cute and creative later in the draft, even with the Isles pick if you want but take BPA at #3 and #5.

Sens have had only 2 top-5 picks since 1996, one is Spezza 2nd OA in 2001 (from trade) and Tkachuk 4th OA in 2018, now 20 y/o and a big part of the team going forward.

We have as many top-5 picks in this draft as we had in the last 24 years... let that sink in.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly, get cute and creative later in the draft, even with the Isles pick if you want but take BPA at #3 and #5.

Sens have had only 2 top-5 picks since 1996, one is Spezza 2nd OA in 2001 (from trade) and Tkachuk 4th OA in 2018, now 20 y/o and a big part of the team going forward.

We have as many top-5 picks in this draft as we had in the last 24 years... let that sink in.

Agreed. No reaching down or trading the pick down because our scouts think they’re smarter than other teams’ scouts.

Reactions: derriko and Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

But I expect that they will also get at least one top 5 to 10 pick next yr since I don't expect them to be much better than they were this past season. And if they move a couple of guys over the course of this season & in the off season could add more picks for the next couple of drafts. They have lots of options on the table for this draft & a few more I expect.

Since I don't believe one guy makes a team I will vote the field, who knows who comes out of the blue & becomes a star in the NHL? Hopefully, it's a guy we have drafted & not someone else, that's always frustrating to see a guy drafted after us become the better player.

Reactions: NB613

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But I expect that they will also get at least one top 5 to 10 pick next yr since I don't expect them to be much better than they were this past season. And if they move a couple of guys over the course of this season & in the off season could add more picks for the next couple of drafts. They have lots of options on the table for this draft & a few more I expect.

Since I don't believe one guy makes a team I will vote the field, who knows who comes out of the blue & becomes a star in the NHL? Hopefully, it's a guy we have drafted & not someone else, that's always frustrating to see a guy drafted after us become the better player.

Sorry but what does it have to do with what I said? I missed the point

And you say "They have lots of options on the table", it's true, they have the opportunity with so much cap space and so many assets to get actual NHL players and improve the team so they could be able to make a run for the playoffs, which also be invaluable experience for the many young guys. Knowing Melnyk, I don't think they seize the opportunity though.

Finally, you say "could add more picks for the next couple of drafts"... well IMO this is the LEAST need this team has. There's only 21 regular jobs on a team, there's already a massive logjam coming up, teams thinking a rebuild nowadays takes 5-10 years will miss the train entirely and players will be out of their primes or way too expensive for what they bring. You have to be proactive and look to compete sooner than later

Sens didn't start from scratch. They had several stars in their prime and that were worth good returns on the market. Just with Karlsson, you get a top-3 pick and Josh Norris (on top of Balcers, two 2nds, a 3rd and Tierney who might return another 2nd)

No, what they need to do is target quality, be it moving up in the draft or trade a few assets for a young established player.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think the future will show that LAF was a good pick but not clearly a tier above others. I think this board is sleeping on Drysdale, Raymond , and Holtz and way to aggressive on Rossi and Quinn. My guess is Perf and Lundell, Lap, type players end up worthy of 3-8 type sections.

Reactions: harrisb

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sorry but what does it have to do with what I said? I missed the point

And you say "They have lots of options on the table", it's true, they have the opportunity with so much cap space and so many assets to get actual NHL players and improve the team so they could be able to make a run for the playoffs, which also be invaluable experience for the many young guys. Knowing Melnyk, I don't think they seize the opportunity though.

Finally, you say "could add more picks for the next couple of drafts"... well IMO this is the LEAST need this team has. There's only 21 regular jobs on a team, there's already a massive logjam coming up, teams thinking a rebuild nowadays takes 5-10 years will miss the train entirely and players will be out of their primes or way too expensive for what they bring. You have to be proactive and look to compete sooner than later

Sens didn't start from scratch. They had several stars in their prime and that were worth good returns on the market. Just with Karlsson, you get a top-3 pick and Josh Norris (on top of Balcers, two 2nds, a 3rd and Tierney who might return another 2nd)

No, what they need to do is target quality, be it moving up in the draft or trade a few assets for a young established player.

You may be right, but I just don't see the Sens doing that & looking to add NHL players to this roster especially given they said that they want a young team. IMO they continue to build from the draft which is why I think more picks in other drafts becomes important to them. I don't see this team competing next season & possibly the season after that. They have too many passengers on this team now that they must move on from & that takes time from a bottom feeder team.

In fact, I don't see them doing much until after the Seattle expansion draft when I think they start really trying to field a playoff team. I think we are 3 to 5 yrs away from this team competing for a playoff spot & eventually a SC. And that's why I think they move on from so many players currently on their roster to younger & cheaper players as they lock in their stars of tomorrow BT, Norris, Batherson, L. Brown, Formenton, Pinto, JBD ...

Reactions: Que and Cosmix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'll never understand this statement.

How can anyone be peaking too early when they are 17???
He's had a growth spurt that has made him physically stronger than most OHL players. he has good skill to be a top player though that doesn't always translate to NHL success. From the limited viewings I've seen from him he's a big man that lacks agility ie Spezza. He benefits from a run and gun style of the OHL and scores a lot in transition.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's had a growth spurt that has made him physically stronger than most OHL players. he has good skill to be a top player though that doesn't always translate to NHL success. From the limited viewings I've seen from him he's a big man that lacks agility ie Spezza. He benefits from a run and gun style of the OHL and scores a lot in transition.

But he really doesnt use his size a whole ton so for me that holds little water.

I'll agree that he produces a ton of of the rush however which is a slight concern.

But hes still 17 and growing both physically as well as the mental aspect of the game. Hes nowhere near his peak

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
But he really doesnt use his size a whole ton so for me that holds little water.
He does based on how strong he is with the puck. His reach is also a benefit. He is not a physical player but he has his advantages that moving to the next level won't be as forgiving. No one knows what kind of training he does so we won't know how much better he can get.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He does based on how strong he is with the puck. His reach is also a benefit. He is not a physical player but he has his advantages that moving to the next level won't be as forgiving. No one knows what kind of training he does so we won't know how much better he can get.

Byfield actually uses a much shorter stick than most 6'4 guys. Sam Cosintino has spoken about it.

Irregardless if he uses his size and reach effectively has nothing to do with him at his peak already. Its ridiculous to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->