Best Player Ever????

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Orr was better. And if we include the other sports I would argue that Jordan was more dominant than either of them.

Ogopogo*

Gretzky had the greatest NHL career.

But, the most dominant player in the history of team sports was, easily, Babe Ruth. The man was hitting 60 home runs when most teams hit 15 or 20.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Of the 4 pro sports - In terms of dominance and greatness

1) Ruth - He was a top pitcher and the greatest hitter ever. He helped baseball survive after the black sox scandal.

2) Gretzky - Dominated the NHL for about 12 seasons like no one ever has. Greatest total career of any player in all 4 sports.

3) Jim Brown - Dominated football like no one ever

4) Chamberlain - Freakishly dwarfed every record - averaged 50 points a game in a whole season. Later in his career he led the NBA in assists as he changed his game.

5) Jordan - 6 titles - dominated for almost his whole career

6) Orr - Short career in which he dominated the league

7) Rice - Best wide reciever ever by a wide margin

8) Cobb - The best baseball player not named Ruth. The best player in the world by a significant margin before the live ball was introduced.

9) Howe - Ridiculous Longevity highlighted by 5 or 6 seasons when he was as dominate as Orr or Gretzky were in their primes.

10) Russell - the best player on the Celtics who won like 11 titles in 13 seasons or something like that. It was Wilt vs Russell and Wilt won the scoring records Russell the titles.

11) Clemens - Cy Youngs in 3 decades. The best pitcher in baseball over the last 30 years.

12) Ted Williams - The best pure hitter ever. If not for the war and his miliary service he might own almost all the career hitting records.

13) Montana - The best playoff quarterback ever.

14) Abdul-Jabar - Sustained greatness for a long time.

15) Mario - Dominant scorer for a long time. Perhaps the most physically gifted hockey player ever.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
interesting topic,many people base their choice purely on point production.gretzky is definately up there.he changed the game as well as score all those points.bobby orr changed the game too with his tremendous all round play.terry sawchuck set a goalie record for most career shut outs.you could debate the merits of at least 10-20 other players who impress you in many different ways.

Best foreward- Gretzky
Best Defenseman-Bobby Orr
Best Goalie-Terry Sawchuck

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Just saying ''The Best ever '' won't ever draw any agreements. Nobody defines 'best' the same way. You got to break things kinda like this.

Most complete player - Bobby Orr
Most skilled player - Mario Lemieux
Most dominant player - Wayne Gretzky

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
People always choose players that retired in the 13:th century.

Just realize that players now, are better than the ones in the early 70:s, Orr included.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
People always choose players that retired in the 13:th century.

Just realize that players now, are better than the ones in the early 70:s, Orr included.

hahaha

Let me know when a defenseman leads the league in scoring .....twice and he will be Orr's equal.

J0e Th0rnton*

Personally, I would take Nolan Ryan up there as one of the best too

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Personally, I would take Nolan Ryan up there as one of the best too

If you were a student of baseball history you probably wouldn't though. Ryan was great and played for a long, long time. But he does not measure up to the all-time great pitchers like Clemens, Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, Warren Spahn, Christy Mathewson. Even his contemporaries in Marichal, Gibson, Carlton, Seaver, Randy Johnson and Maddux were probably better, though they did not play quite as long.

J0e Th0rnton*

If you were a student of baseball history you probably wouldn't though. Ryan was great and played for a long, long time. But he does not measure up to the all-time great pitchers like Clemens, Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, Warren Spahn, Christy Mathewson. Even his contemporaries in Marichal, Gibson, Carlton, Seaver, Randy Johnson and Maddux were probably better, though they did not play quite as long.
I won't deny it. I know pretty little about Baseball.

I find it too boring to get into, and im still at a loss to how they can make profits while giving tons of players contracts at ridiculous amounts.
When I was younger, I liked Nolan Ryan though and I seem to remember he had like every record under his belt but played for trash teams, so he could never win.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I won't deny it. I know pretty little about Baseball.

I find it too boring to get into, and im still at a loss to how they can make profits while giving tons of players contracts at ridiculous amounts.
When I was younger, I liked Nolan Ryan though and I seem to remember he had like every record under his belt but played for trash teams, so he could never win.

Ryan has the stikeout mark by a wide margin. He also has allowed the most walks by a wide margin. He played forever and was glorified near the end of his career like no buddies business. Like Cal Ripken for example he got overhyped for how good he actually was.

Great Pitchers win quite a few more games than they lose regardless of the team in front of them. Ryan went 324-292 which is good but not a good enough win/loss to be among the all-time greats.

As to how baseball survives with the contracts they give out.... They draw 2.5-4 million fans a game to their stadiums and the teams like the Yankees, Braves and Red Sox have ridiculous local TV contracts.

And though a ticket is usually cheaper than to another sport they can sell a crap load of beer to their patrons over the first 7 innings of the game!

toastman344*

No one but no one , Gretzky included, could carry Orr's jock ! SuperBoy B. Orr at 15 , albeit with honorble mention from Jacques Plante, and a bunch of forgettable OHL all Stars defeated the CCCP Men's Nat Team....2-1...and u better believe it, that 15 year old Kid was by far the BEST Player on the ICe...

Nobody but Nobudy...except Orr ...ever killed an entire penalty all by Himself ...

There's #4...and then there's the rest...

Dont gimme this crap about the modern NHL...Orr Woulda Owned it...

EASILY !!!!

Ogopogo*

Great Pitchers win quite a few more games than they lose regardless of the team in front of them. Ryan went 324-292 which is good but not a good enough win/loss to be among the all-time greats.

!

Completely disagree with this statement. The team has a tremendous bearing on a pitcher's W/L record.

In 1987, Nolan Ryan led the NL with a 2.76 ERA and, because the Astros sucked and couldn't put up runs, he had an 8-16 record. Please explain how that is Ryan's fault.

Ryan was the best pitcher in the NL, he should have won the Cy Young. W/L should not have cost him that award.

ERA combined with IP is the most important measure of a pitcher's value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad