Best picks 3rd-7th round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
From this year´s draft 3rd round, which player you think could be NHL top player or steal?

It is always risky with europeans in later rounds as they can develop into top line material but prefer to stay safe at home.

I am from Czech republic so I can make some comments on Tomas Popperle (5th round, 131.pick, Columbus, goaltender). He went 15-9-1 for talent loaded Sparta Prague last year with .949 pct and 1.58 GAA. He was bit of a sudden bloomer - thats why he was so low on teams chart. But Blue Jackets european scout Milan Tichy saw big potential here and I agree with him. Popperle is 21 and apart from one game in playoffs he showed good maturity. He traveled to Columbus to fight for Syracuse starter job. Nothing to lose in this age, he can break through.

Another picks:

There is some buzz and scepticism about Danny Syvret (3rd round, 81.pick, Edmonton, defense).

Ilja Zubov had very nice show at WJC. He went 4th round, 98.pick to Ottawa,C)

I heard some positive notes on Slava Trukhno (4th round, 120.pick, Edmonton, center). Slava Buriavchikov (6th round, 191.pick, Buffalo, defense) was most productive defenseman at WJC.

Would you include some other names? ? ?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I've read a lot of good things about Juraj Mikus (4th #121) drafted by Montreal.
He apparently has some amazing offensive skills.

LHJMQFAN

Oct 30, 2004
Gragnani (Buf) 3rd round
Thrukno (Edm) 4th round
Lavallée (Atl) 4th round :yo:

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Fozz said:
I've read a lot of good things about Juraj Mikus (4th #121) drafted by Montreal.
He apparently has some amazing offensive skills.

Philippe Paquet picked at the end of round 7 sounds like a great project.

X-SHARKIE

I think the J.P.'s from the Q were steals.

If Paquet and get out of that confidence lull and actually play like he did at the U-17's awhile back he could be a big one.

Levasseur was taged as a franchise goaltending prospect in the mold of MAF before the season started, now he's in the 7th round to Anaheim?

I also think that Zach Bearson of Waterloo USHL, UW Badger recruit, drafted by the Panthers in the 7th was an absolute gem waiting to be plucked....I caught him in the USHL last year and was very impressed.

Think Modern day Wayne Primeau.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
X-SHARKIE said:
Levasseur was taged as a franchise goaltending prospect in the mold of MAF before the season started, now he's in the 7th round to Anaheim?
That was the guy I was going to post. Things I read had him going in the first/second round. Was there any reason for his fall?

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
From his HF page:

Levasseur has been the victim of a teammate stealing his spotlight in the second half of the season. During the first half, the young netminder played so well that the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies traded his competition – Philippe Roberge – to Drummondville for oft-inconsistent New York Islanders prospect Sylvain Michaud. Michaud sparkled since his arrival, and Levasseur’s playing time decreased significantly. Levasseur only started three games after the league’s trade deadline.

I would have to think that played a large role, but that still doesn't completely explain a guy (before the draft) seen as a 2nd or 3rd round goalie who can start in the NHL slipping all the way to the 7th round.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
bleedgreen said:
risto korhonen - 5th round for carolina.
I also like Korhonen very much - good size, strong postionally and alot of upside. I saw him going in the 3rd, so IMO a great pickup where he went.

Other impressive notables - Trukhno, Levasseur, Hensick, Rau

X-SHARKIE

bleedgreen said:
risto korhonen - 5th round for carolina.

Oh yeah, forgot about him, I had him going in the early 2nd round, and if he transitions will to NA and developes well I see him as a Kyle McLaren type. 5th round gem no doubt. I like him more then Laakso.

Trukhno looked to be a 1st round canidate at the top prospects game, but at the U-18 he didn't receive much ice time and turned the puck over.

Still I like the skill and grit factor. Should've went higher.

turnbuckle*

A modern day Wayne Primeau? I don't recall there being a Wayne Primeau that played in the 40's or 50's, can you enlighten me? did he play before the 40's? ;)

anywhooooo....Ottawa made some good late picks in Kudelka and Zubov - Montreal might have gotten a steal with Siarhei Kostitsyn breing selected in the 7th round. He was the 18th ranked Euro skater by Central scouting, which would normally translate into a second or third round pick all things being equal.

I also thought Richard Lelkes was a good value pick so late, and was also surprised to see From-Bjork go undrafted. I'd be willing to bet that teams don't pass on Bjork again next season, all he did was show size, skill and toughness at the under 18's.

X-SHARKIE

turnbuckle said:
A modern day Wayne Primeau? I don't recall there being a Wayne Primeau that played in the 40's or 50's, can you enlighten me? did he play before the 40's? ;)

anywhooooo....Ottawa made some good late picks in Kudelka and Zubov - Montreal might have gotten a steal with Siarhei Kostitsyn breing selected in the 7th round. He was the 18th ranked Euro skater by Central scouting, which would normally translate into a second or third round pick all things being equal.

I also thought Richard Lelkes was a good value pick so late, and was also surprised to see From-Bjork go undrafted. I'd be willing to bet that teams don't pass on Bjork again next season, all he did was show size, skill and toughness at the under 18's.

If you would've followed Primeau in his days with Pittsburgh he struggled to skate. Now with the Sharks, he has worked his tail off, and now is one of the better skaters on the team.

By that I mean that Zach Bearson is much like Wayne Primeau of 2005, not Wayne Primeau of 1995.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
X-SHARKIE said:
If you would've followed Primeau in his days with Pittsburgh he struggled to skate. Now with the Sharks, he has worked his tail off, and now is one of the better skaters on the team.

By that I mean that Zach Bearson is much like Wayne Primeau of 2005, not Wayne Primeau of 1995.

Ask a Shark fan what they think of Wayne Primeau and it'll generally be a pretty glowing report. Ask a fan of any other team he's played on and we'll curse his name. I ****ing hated that guy.

Anyways...yeah...I'll agree with X-SHARKIE on the J-Ps from the Q. Levasseur went from a top 10 pick to a 7th rounder...it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Paquet has been a favorite of mine for a while and I jumped for joy when we drafted him.

X-SHARKIE

Tjardus Greidanus said:
Ask a Shark fan what they think of Wayne Primeau and it'll generally be a pretty glowing report. Ask a fan of any other team he's played on and we'll curse his name. I ****ing hated that guy.

lol, well, mabey, but it's not because we're idiots ...us Sharks fans....watch him this year and he's matured into a forward who brings a smart, reliable two way game, along with a big frame and is a good skater. Good asset to have on the PK.

turnbuckle*

X-SHARKIE said:

fer crissakes; it was a joke. Yes I did see Wayne Primeau play in Pittsburg, it was your use of the term "modern day" that I was ribbing you about. I'm thinking you are unaware of the meaning of the term.

Primeau is currently playing in the modern day; it's impossible for someone to be compared a "modern day" player if that player is still playing.

Even saying a "modern Day Wayne Gretzky" would be incorrect IMO as Wayne played in the "modern day."

Calling someone a "modern Day" Maurice Richard, or Gordie Howe or Howie Morenz? Now that would make sense.

X-SHARKIE

turnbuckle said:
fer crissakes; it was a joke. Yes I did see Wayne Primeau play in Pittsburg, it was your use of the term "modern day" that I was ribbing you about. I'm thinking you are unaware of the meaning of the term.

Primeau is currently playing in the modern day; it's impossible for someone to be compared a "modern day" player if that player is still playing.

Even saying a "modern Day Wayne Gretzky" would be incorrect IMO as Wayne played in the "modern day."

Calling someone a "modern Day" Maurice Richard, or Gordie Howe or Howie Morenz? Now that would make sense.

ahh, but a four paragraph explanation for a grammar mistake?

;)

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Keith Yandle, D (Cushing Academy)
Ht: 6’2 Wt: 203 lbs. DOB: 1986-09-09
Central Scouting Mid-Term Ranking: 53rd among North American skaters

105th to Phoenix. Rumoured to have possibly gone in the second if he would have opted in in 2004. Will get lots of ice and exposure with Moncton this year.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For the Sharks, P.J. Fenton and Derek Joslin could be steals. Dakers could be a steal as well. Steal of the draft goes to Anaheim though, as everyone has said. Robby Dee and Syvret could be steals, although I don't know if being taken in the third round is late enough to be qualified as a steal. Jakub Vojta for sure is a steal. Brian Foster, Kyle Lawson, and O'Reilly might surprise people.

Tomas Popperle could have some cool nicknames if he makes it to the NHL :)

Popperle was just signed by Tampa yesterday...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad