Best performance ever by a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat

Jonus Hoglund said:
including 26 points (11 goals) in the 63-0 win over Iceland.

63 - 0!?

Either Gunnar Staal wasnt playing, or the Mighty Ducks movies lied about Team Iceland being an international powerhouse :shakehead

chooch*

mcphee said:
I've seen the 79 Hab/Bruin, game 7 often enough and if you enjoy those games, you take away something different every time. I don't think it was offside, though I think Antropv was at least 22 times. The thing I always notice about the 79 game was that Mtl., or moreso Bowman had patchwork lines, and was trying to throw off Boston by double and triple shifting his best guys. I don't know that a shift was played without the Big 3 on the ice, Lafleur and Gainey seemd to be on every 2nd shift. Savard and Gainey were both plugging up the crease on the pp, trying to keep Boston down low. Yeah,Lafleur was great,but I don't see him as having carried the team in the way that Chooch does. I thought Savard had one of his greatest games, I saw a team that just wouldn't lose, a team that had some great performances,but a team nonetheless. In my mind, the Richard game already mentionned stands out, or his cup winning goal with a gazillion stitches and a concussion. Of course, I didn't see them, but they stick out for me. How about Henri Richard, his team down 2-1 in game 7 [1971] ? He had created a controversy earlier in the series in a dispute with his coach after being benched and he tied and won the game in the 3rd period ? For trivia fans, Rejean Houle assisted on Henri's goal [winner] in 71, along with Lambert's in 79. For me, I 'd go with either Richard, Lafleur's was great, but I just saw the whole team storming the net. Maybe I don't rate that many individual performance by Lafleur that high because he was such a consistenly dominant offensive force for those 6 years, and for 99% of the time, his team was expected to win, which often lessened the drama.

To reckoning/mcphee:

The teams were even in G7 Semis 79, which is why they were tied ;) . The bruins leading 3-1 in the 3rd : Lafleur plays 14 shifts the rest of the game, creates 15 scoring chances.

(The tape I have starts at the 15 minute mark of the 3rd period and misses 1 minute of OT). The Globe and Mail calls it a "bravura" peformance for the ages. Dryden writes poetically about it. Sports Illustrated states that Lafleur "refused to let the Habs lose". Cherry always says he was robbed of a ring by Guy. But mcphee is non-plussed.

as for the goal, I only have a tape and an old vcr to play it on but it seems like Lemaire is on the line when he accepts the pass, I cant tell if the puck is on the line or over (dont know if that matters).

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
trahans99 said:
brace yourself Leafs fans :cry: :cry:

Gretzky's performance in game 7 taking them to the finals against Montreal !!!! :handclap:

However, all happiness ended when they encountered the wall that is Patrick Roy, then of the Montreal Canadiens, in the Stanley Cup final.

The cocksure goaltender single-handedly (with some help from Marty McSorley's stick) won the series with his overtime brilliance, which had also powered Les Habs through the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Jordoe28

Sep 3, 2005
Thunder Bay
www.freewebs.com
Ron Tugnutt's 73 save performance against Boston in 1991. He gave the Nordiques a 3-3 tie in a game that they should have definately lost.

Than in 2000, Ron Tugnutt's 2-1 overtime loss to Philadelphia in one of the longest games in NHL history. That game had 70+ shots on Tugger as well I believe.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Jordoe28 said:
Ron Tugnutt's 73 save performance against Boston in 1991. He gave the Nordiques a 3-3 tie in a game that they should have definately lost.

Than in 2000, Ron Tugnutt's 2-1 overtime loss to Philadelphia in one of the longest games in NHL history. That game had 70+ shots on Tugger as well I believe.

That game between the Nords and Bruins was "only" a 70 save performance by the Tugger. Boston had 73 shots on goal and scored on three of them

prdbsfan

Aug 20, 2002
"We Got a Bleeder!!!
Visit site
ice berg slim said:
Mike Richter 1996 World Cup the series against Canada.........Case Close!!!!!!!!!

Good Call!!! Can I also make mention of him Vs. Broduer in the Semi's "I forget what year", but good lord it was the best goaltending I have ever seen by both goalies...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Can't remember quite... But I think it was in the 96/97 season... An inexperienced Jere Lehtinen single-handedly shut down a red hot ST.Louis with Brett Hull and Pierre Turgeon getting frustrated... Jere took them out in the middle some 10-15 times and Turgeon finally had to rest half of the third period because he was tired out.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pei fan said:
Gretzky has stated himself that it was the best game he ever played.
Basically,it was a hockey clinic.

Gretzky considers that to be his finest ever NHL game, and game 2 of the 87 Caanda Cup final, where he had 5 assists in a 6-5 Canada win in 2OT his best game overall.

chooch*

John Flyers Fan said:
Gretzky considers that to be his finest ever NHL game, and game 2 of the 87 Caanda Cup final, where he had 5 assists in a 6-5 Canada win in 2OT his best game overall.

What game is that - teh Maple Losers game? he was pretty invisible except for 1 rush and off the Dmans foot; and an interception at blueline and slap by the great HoF Cat Potvin; not a worthy performance; Dougie outplay him in that series.

Maple losers had a porous ponderous old D anyway; big deal. Habs ate him in Finals.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
What game is that - teh Maple Losers game? he was pretty invisible except for 1 rush and off the Dmans foot; and an interception at blueline and slap by the great HoF Cat Potvin; not a worthy performance; Dougie outplay him in that series.

Maple losers had a porous ponderous old D anyway; big deal. Habs ate him in Finals.

Ah, yes, our old friend cooch. Stops in once every few nights, nothing much to say other than grade school insults that look like they were keyboarded by a six year old..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad