Best performance ever by a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

nWoCHRISnWo said:
Are you going to run down everything someone says about Lemieux here?

No, I am just trying to bring some common sense into the discussion.

Hitting for the cycle in baseball is hardly significant either. I'll take two home runs a triple and a single over the cycle any day.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Agreed. 5 goals 5 ways is great and all, but it was a 5 goal game against an adequate team in the regular season, not an all-time performance or anything. Just a weird little fluke.

Fedorov scoring all 5 of his team's goals in '97 (I think?), that was much cooler.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Nordiques vs Bruins 1991 (?), Ron Tugnutt makes 73 saves for the Nords.
Truly an outstanding one game performance.

KariyaIsGod*

Macman said:
In 1997, Nik Antropov scored 39 points in one game, a 72-1 drubbing of Iceland by Kazakhstan at the under 18s. Certainly the wackiest numbers ever.

Is this a joke, or did this really happen?

Ogopogo*

DrMoses said:
Is this a joke, or did this really happen?

I believe that it is true, I vaguely remember hearing about that several years ago.

You have to consider the competition when putting it in perspective. Although it is an impressive number of points, the competition was weak so, this is not as great as Darryl Sittler's 10 point game.

Ogopogo*

Masao said:
I said it "deserves a mention." What, you disagree with that or something?

No, not at all. I am just wondering if you would rate it ahead of Gretzky's run. Lemieux's was very impressive at 4.5 PPG but Gretzky's was a lot longer at 3 PPG.

They are both very good. Not disagreeing, just throwing out additonal info. I guess, by quoting your post it looked like I was trying to start a Wayne vs. Mario thing. Not at all.

Both great players.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Ogopogo said:
No, not at all. I am just wondering if you would rate it ahead of Gretzky's run. Lemieux's was very impressive at 4.5 PPG but Gretzky's was a lot longer at 3 PPG.

They are both very good. Not disagreeing, just throwing out additonal info. I guess, by quoting your post it looked like I was trying to start a Wayne vs. Mario thing. Not at all.

Both great players.

How can you compare them? I mean, that would be like saying that Jose Theodore was better during one week in March than Martin Brodeur was for an entire season.

chooch*

Marcus-74 said:
What do you consider to be the greatest performance ever by a hockey player in a game? The idea is that the game in question was between two good and competitive teams and yet a player managed to dominate. Here are some of my suggestions...

Honorary mentions...

Guy Lafleur ("Too many men on ice" game against Boston;

Just to keep Mr. Chooch happy!
:D

Out of your entire list of olypmics and exhibition series and regular season games, this is the only one with the Cup on the line, the greatest clutch performance I ever saw is this one. 3rd period onwards, down 3-1, 12 minutes left, played 5 consecutive shifts, 1 goal 2 assists, thorough domination, stuff of legends on par with ALexander 1926 World Series, etc. If you never saw it, you cant post here.

Not knocking 10 points v. minor league goalie, etc etc, but...this was for the big one.

Ogopogo*

Masao said:
How can you compare them? I mean, that would be like saying that Jose Theodore was better during one week in March than Martin Brodeur was for an entire season.

OK. Let's drop the issue then.

Two great performances. Period.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Honestly though, it is significant?

5 goals is significant any time but, how are his any more significant? It is just a quirk that they were all "different ways".
As big of a Mario fan as I am I have to agree.

Mario did have the most impressive performance I have ever seen. Coming out of retirement and being the best player on the ice after 3 and a half years was amazing. I wouldnt think it was possible, even for Mario, if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Macman said:
In 1997, Nik Antropov scored 39 points in one game, a 72-1 drubbing of Iceland by Kazakhstan at the under 18s. Certainly the wackiest numbers ever.
I think 39 points is wrong. There are several reports that claim Antropov having scored 26 points (11g, 15a). Still amazing numbers.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Macman said:
...how...?
Do you even have enough time to score all these goals ? I would have liked to see the celebrations of all these goals.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
I believe that it is true, I vaguely remember hearing about that several years ago.

You have to consider the competition when putting it in perspective. Although it is an impressive number of points, the competition was weak so, this is not as great as Darryl Sittler's 10 point game.
Here, I have found a source. It is true.
http://www.cjnews.com/pastissues/00/may4-00/sports/sports.htm
In 1997, Kazakhstan, led by Nik Antropov, beat Iceland 72-1 in Under-18 junior action. Antropov, now a Toronto Maple Leaf, collected 39 points in that game.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
- Ian Turnbull's 5 goal game against Detroit which is still a record to this day
- Sittlers 10 point game against Boston
- Roy's masterpieces in 86 and in 93 leading his team to the cup
- Gretzky's performance in game 7 in 93 against the Leafs (A game he will say was his best ever)

Many others, the Turnbull one is most impressive in my books when you think that Orr, Potvin, Coffey, Leetch or Bourque never equaled it

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Out of your entire list of olypmics and exhibition series and regular season games, this is the only one with the Cup on the line, the greatest clutch performance I ever saw is this one. 3rd period onwards, down 3-1, 12 minutes left, played 5 consecutive shifts, 1 goal 2 assists, thorough domination, stuff of legends on par with ALexander 1926 World Series, etc. If you never saw it, you cant post here.

The goal in question shouldn`t have counted because Lemaire was offside.

Macman

May 15, 2004
MAF said:
I think 39 points is wrong. There are several reports that claim Antropov having scored 26 points (11g, 15a). Still amazing numbers.

Yeah, I dunno, I've seen both on the web. The 39 points was supposed to have happened in an under 18 event and the 26 at a lower pool of the world juniors. I don't doubt Kazakhstan played Iceland more than once around then. I do remember, though, that numbers like that were mentioned when Antropov came out of nowhere his draft year.

pens66-87

Ogopogo said:
Honestly though, it is significant?

5 goals is significant any time but, how are his any more significant? It is just a quirk that they were all "different ways". Honestly is it better than scoring 3 even strenght and two on the power play? No. It is like hitting for the cycle in baseball. If you already have a single, triple and home run - is it really better to hit a double than another home run? No.

Red Berenson's 6 goals beats Mario's 5 goals.

your just a lemieux hater, shut up

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
Wisent said:
Here, I have found a source. It is true.
http://www.cjnews.com/pastissues/00/may4-00/sports/sports.htm
In 1997, Kazakhstan, led by Nik Antropov, beat Iceland 72-1 in Under-18 junior action. Antropov, now a Toronto Maple Leaf, collected 39 points in that game.

From the Leafs' 99/00 yearbook...

WOW! Nik Antropov recorded 54 points (22 goals) while playing for Kazakhstan in the 1998 European Championships (Pool D), including 26 points (11 goals) in the 63-0 win over Iceland.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad