Best pass since Karlssons 120ft sauce to Hoffman

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
LMAO if you think Karlsson's pass was the best in history. Its not even better than Sedin's pass off the boards, or Kopitar's lob to Brown, or Yzerman's pass to Knuble. Hell, Hedman did a stretch pass to from the back of his own net to Callaghan in Game 3 of the 2015 SCF.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Ok. Now land it on the tape, at NHL speed, in the playoffs, over NHL players, behind the extended goalline. Downplaying that pass... I don't know what to say. Want another example? Technically, baseball isn't that hard. It's very simple, actually. Throw the ball, hit it, run, catch and throw it. What's the big fuzz about MLB?

It's not that hard to do. I do it all the time in beer league - the offensive forward does all the work once he picks it up.

It's a fun pass that doesn't take a lot of skill in my opinion - just backhand to forehand, heel to toe flip targetting centre ice. Now that I think about it, it takes almost no skill - If there's no one defending, I could probably do it with my eye closed.

the majority of the work is the synergy you have with your forwards such that they can head north once you're ready to get the puck - by then, they're moving in the same direction as the pass... just don't land the pass behind them is all you have to do.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's not that hard to do. I do it all the time in beer league - the offensive forward does all the work once he picks it up.

It's a fun pass that doesn't take a lot of skill in my opinion - just backhand to forehand, heel to toe flip targetting centre ice. Now that I think about it, it takes almost no skill - If there's no one defending, I could probably do it with my eye closed.
Aha. Other NHL players and the media raved about nothing then, because even beer leaguers do it all the time. How come we never see it in NHL highlights then, if it's so easy? Maybe beer leaguers can teach NHL players a thing or two about hockey.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Aha. Other NHL players and the media raved about nothing then, because even beer leaguers do it all the time. How come we never see it in NHL highlights then, if it's so easy? Maybe beer leaguers can teach NHL players a thing or two about hockey.

Because it can be turned over pretty quick in the NHL ; I'm also assuming defensive coverage, speed of skaters and general motivation to hunt down the puck is amped up in the NHL.

If you really think about it though, the mechanics of the flip pass isn't really complex.

Just boils down to your forwards jumping behind their defense at the time that the puck is ahead of him.

No one's disputing that it's an exciting play though; additionally, Karlsson's pass was tape to tape - beer league version just ensure's it's in front of the forward.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Are you serious?
The reason that play doesn't happen all the time is because the guy at the far blueline is covered, not because NHL players can't make a long pass. You think that pass wouldn't happen all the time in if there was a wide open guy at the far blueline? Hoffman is 30 ft behind everyone else on the ice here.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Are you serious?
The reason that play doesn't happen all the time is because the guy at the far blueline is covered, not because NHL players can't make a long pass. You think that pass wouldn't happen all the time in if there was a wide open guy at the far blueline? Hoffman is 30 ft behind everyone else on the ice here.
So is a saucer pass, or a tough pass over a stick of one and through the legs of another. Technically, all passes are not hard to do if the opposition allows it. Neither is a one timer in the top corner hard to do, you just aim at it and do it. You sound like nihilists. If it was not hard to do, why are guys like Tyler Seguin impressed by it and you are not?

That you can make a 120 ft pass in a beer league at slow motion levels in not the same as seeing it and taping it at NHL level over Chara. Most NHL players wouldn't have picked up on the opportunity of the pass or made it. But ok, it wasn't that hard. Any beer leaguer can do it in a beer league. What a joke people thought it was an amazing pass. Got it. Why are people so amazed by one timers top corner in crucial moments in the playoffs? Beer leaguers can do it, technically.

It's like a meme. "Scoring 4 goals in a game? Pfff. I scored 4 in a game in my beer league." My question is, why are you playing in a beer league? Technically, you can do everything NHL players can do. If you can make 120ft passes, why is your talent wasted? Why are you not a pro? You can technically skate as fast, shoot as hard, pass as well, think as fast and see the ice as well. Just do it.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
sens_goal.gif

Man that is truly the greatest pass in history.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The beauty of that pass is in its perfection. Hoffman didn’t have to slow down, the pass landed perfectly just in front of him at the right speed. I really liked the angle from behind Karlsson where we can see how little rotation the puck had in the air on such a long distance. I’ve seen lots of QB saucer pass, but that one by Karlsson was special. Major props to Hoffman for receiving it like a champ and pulling that Forsberg feint. How can you not like that play ?

Pretty much this. The beauty is in the details. It's not just a sloppy lob pass like Forsberg to Blake or Pitkanen.

It's a precision perfect saucer pass, the puck remains flat, that goes over the head of the Bruins, that lands exactly, perfectly near the blue line, not so far as to make the play offside, and not so short that it hits the Bruins players. There's no other play like that, period. The bank off the boards thing has been done many times.

Reactions: authentic

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This pass by Orr I is the best I have ever seen. Old video, 1972/73 season, quality is bad. It is like the Ovie goal when he was on the ice. He put it right on Bucyk's stick for a goal, from his back looking the wrong way

Poor tackling by #9.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I mean technically he is right, we CAN do it quite easily in beer league. You know when everything is like 100x slower and people are like 500x slower....and such things like beer league d pinched up into the zone and can't turn around :D
Pfff... Technicalities. I mean, I'm technically as good as professional motorcyclist racers, I'm barely 4 hours behind them, but technically, I'm just as good.
Another underrated gem from Karlsson.

Come on. I've seen passes in beer leagues off the boards like that. I don't know why they even bothered to highlight it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brownies

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
So is a saucer pass, or a tough pass over a stick of one and through the legs of another. Technically, all passes are not hard to do if the opposition allows it. Neither is a one timer in the top corner hard to do, you just aim at it and do it. You sound like nihilists. If it was not hard to do, why are guys like Tyler Seguin impressed by it and you are not?

That you can make a 120 ft pass in a beer league at slow motion levels in not the same as seeing it and taping it at NHL level over Chara. Most NHL players wouldn't have picked up on the opportunity of the pass or made it. But ok, it wasn't that hard. Any beer leaguer can do it in a beer league. What a joke people thought it was an amazing pass. Got it. Why are people so amazed by one timers top corner in crucial moments in the playoffs? Beer leaguers can do it, technically.

It's like a meme. "Scoring 4 goals in a game? Pfff. I scored 4 in a game in my beer league." My question is, why are you playing in a beer league? Technically, you can do everything NHL players can do. If you can make 120ft passes, why is your talent wasted? Why are you not a pro? You can technically skate as fast, shoot as hard, pass as well, think as fast and see the ice as well. Just do it.

Over Chara? Keep tryin'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad