Best pass since Karlssons 120ft sauce to Hoffman

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
every single news outlet including NHL.com still commentating how McDavid misfired on that shot ..... Notice how he does it on purpose and moves the defenders stick out of the way opening up a juicy top corner shot for Rattie

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Now this is an impressive saucer pass. No time, no look, one touch, over two sticks, backhand, bang on the tape:

Reactions: TychoFan

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
McJesus is amazing but he obviously tried to shoot it on that play
You can tell in his follow through and his look over the shoulder it was on purpose. PC in the interview which is what he should do. Do we expect him to say

"Yeah, I meant to do that. The game goes so slow for me, it was not very difficult. Nice of Ty to finish for once though."

Reactions: Catch22

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
anyone who has played ice hockey will tell you how difficult of a pass that was to make.

Sounds like you aren't very good at hockey, because it's no harder than lobbing a puck down the ice when you have all kinds of time and space. I'll do one tonight in my league for ya.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid is the type of guy to go 1 on 5 and score an in between the goal legs in OT of game 7 of the stanley cup finals and say "I was actually trying to get it to Lucic, he probably could've done something better with it"
the Irony in this is that Lucic is the type of guy that would go in 5 on 1 and get a proper pass only to whiff on it

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Petskuta

May 15, 2011
giphy.gif

Granny with the sauce

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Savard was one of the best playmakers I've ever seen. I think we all just looked too much into this goal, he probably fanned on the shot and quickly realized Rattie was right there to pounce on it and it worked out.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Great pass of course, but assuming this isn't a satirical post... The best two goals in hockey history have definitely not both been in the last two years. I can think of at least 10 I would consider better off the top of my head.

I hated the post as soon as the OP brought out the whole "if you haven't played the game" schtick.
that and hating mcdavid because Chia built a crappy team around him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You can tell in his follow through and his look over the shoulder it was on purpose. PC in the interview which is what he should do. Do we expect him to say

"Yeah, I meant to do that. The game goes so slow for me, it was not very difficult. Nice of Ty to finish for once though."

"Yea it's something I've been working out in practice so it's nice that it translated to a game"

Reactions: Dustin

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

He didnt know he lost the puck which is why he tried to shoot. I mean he even said it himself when he said he didnt try to do it.
You could hear the contact between the defenders stick and Mcjesus´stick when it happened as well which is why he lost control over the puck.
I actually watched it a couple of times right after it happened last night to see what he did/didnt do because it looked so weird live.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's not that hard to do.
Driving to work without accidents is not hard to do. If it's not hard to make such a pass, we would see it more often than once every 20 years. Or do you mean icing the puck?

On another topic,it's not hard to create a hyperbole, sensationalist thread. Much harder to do the opposite. Happens once every 20 years or so.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
anyone who has played ice hockey will tell you how difficult of a pass that was to make.

I'd think the better point to make here is any beer leaguer can try that pass, and maybe they make it 1/100, so technically he's sort of correct. The difference being a Karlsson can make it 1/4, so still falls under the principle of a long shot play but not exactly impossible to do.

As for those types of passes though Henrik Sedin had a real beauty that I don't think was ever preserved on youtube, where rather than making it directly tape to tape to Daniel's stick he shot it into the corner and it banked back out perfectly tape to board to tape on Daniel's stick who went in and scored.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It just looks like an error. Why would Mcdavid lie? Its not like NHL defense are going to be looking at trick plays to defend.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Only McJesus is good enough to pretend like he wanted to miss the shot and track a lost puck by turning his head.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This isn't trying to drive a Formula 1 car, it's flipping a puck down the rink in the direction of a teammate. A better example would be with basketball trying to sink a shot from half court. Easy enough to try, damn hard to do, but give a person enough shots and eventually they sink one. Or hell even just compare it to golf. Assuming the distance isn't a problem once in a while even the worst player can land a tee shot on the green.

The fundamental mechanic is easy, just the degree of accuracy is hard. So for the hockey play the difference here is that a Karlsson can probably regularly put that pass within a 1-foot radius of the sweet spot while a beer leaguer depending on skill level would be landing it more in a 5-10 foot radius - they'll miss most of the time but once in a while it will land. Like I'm not a good beer leaguer since I started as an adult but even still I've managed to make a shorter version of that play before, around blue line to blue line.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
This isn't trying to drive a Formula 1 car, it's flipping a puck down the rink in the direction of a teammate. A better example would be with basketball trying to sink a shot from half court. Easy enough to try, damn hard to do, but give a person enough shots and eventually they sink one. Or hell even just compare it to golf. Assuming the distance isn't a problem once in a while even the worst player can land a tee shot on the green.

The fundamental mechanic is easy, just the degree of accuracy is hard. So for the hockey play the difference here is that a Karlsson can probably regularly put that pass within a 1-foot radius of the sweet spot while a beer leaguer depending on skill level would be landing it more in a 5-10 foot radius - they'll miss most of the time but once in a while it will land. Like I'm not a good beer leaguer since I started as an adult but even still I've managed to make a shorter version of that play before, around blue line to blue line.
Ok. Now land it on the tape, at NHL speed, in the playoffs, over NHL players, behind the extended goalline. Downplaying that pass... I don't know what to say. Want another example? Technically, baseball isn't that hard. It's very simple, actually. Throw the ball, hit it, run, catch and throw it. What's the big fuzz about MLB?

Last edited:

AustonGretzky

Oct 17, 2018
Jordie Benn had a crazy saucer pass to his brother for some double bennatration magic against Ottawa a few years ago

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->