OT: Best or funniest moments you have had while playing ice hockey!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not sure if this belongs in the lounge so I apologize in advance if it does. I figured it would be fun to share our moments on the ice!

I played HS hockey in the mid 80s and have some funny stories. I’d like to qualify that I was not very good but had fun.

The last game of my junior year after being eliminated from sectionals was against the #1 team in the region. One of those elite prep schools and they were damn good. In any case, a bench clearing scrum ensued after the fans, parents, started to heckle us after going down 6-0. I was on my the ice when it happened and wanted nothing to do with it. Some giant opposing player grabbed me and we started spin around. On the last spin before getting punched in the face, I saw my friend Billy facing the the opposing bleachers with his stick between his legs “massaging” it... I got my my ass beat because I couldn’t stop laughing.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Scored the overtime winner in my peewee league championship game. My only goal the whole season. :laugh:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Easily when i was playing when i was younger maybe 15-16 and i see the other team go on a breakaway and my buddy skating to our bench for a line change as its happening, he glances over to the enemy breakaway and JUMPS into the air as the guy scored

we all asked him what the hell that was and he goes

" i didnt want to get a -1! :/ "
LOL! ill never forget that

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I'm not much of a player, my moment came during a practice for a work team. I've never been able to onetime a puck and managed to talk a friend into feeding me one timers during the practice. It was not going very well, but this once, my god this once I was able to get a hold of one. Missed the net by a mile, almost took my friends head off, but what a sweet feeling, like the puck was not even there. That happened 40 some years ago and I still remember thatshot.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
In our defensive zone, the opposing D-man on the point receives a bad pass, so I rush on him to give him a bodycheck at center-ice and hopefully gain the puck and break away with the puck. But the guy seeing me come at him raised his stick pointing towards me like a spear to protect himself. So I received the blade of his stick 2 inches above my balls. His stick broke in half, I lost Wind and dropped like a bag of potatoes. The guy didn't receive a penalty, FML. At least I broke his 200+$ stick :laugh:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Le compétiteur

I played hockey for my high school, private catholic high school on border of Québec and Ontario having student from both province and playing against other high school from both province.

Our team was a average team in a average caliber league, if our team was average it was because we had a top goaler, 15 years old 6 foot 2, 190 pounds extremly agile and fast goaler. Without him we would have been the worst team of the league. Without me the team would have probably be better. I was a bad player on a bad team. The only common thing the goaler and me ( mediocre left handed forward used as a righ defenceman because there is no one else ) was that we have same last name but we are not related.

One day a scout of the "Q" came to our remote little ice hockey team because he was told a good player was hiding in our league. The only he knew about the player was his last name... and he tought that this player was me :laugh:

Scout didn't waste his time at the end as he notice a goaler that had potential.

My last name, that happen to be quite common, is what have ever made a scout to come watch me, my "skill set" would have never be enough no matter what :laugh::laugh::laugh: :help:

And for the goaler? He reached eventually ECHL, 2 seasons as back-up then stop playing.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
One time we were in our peewee years after atoms and we were talking about how hockey players could jump over the bench boards and we weren't so tall at like 5"1 or a little taller and couple of us were discussing about trying to go over the bench boards and every time we tried we started flipping over the boards and everyone in the building couldn't stop laughing cause it happen at the same time with my other team mate.. It was so funny! Hahaha after that we never ever tried it again hahaha

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have a few ones.

The funniest is the one playing pond hockey/practicing our redirections, I always had a good one timer and I was taking them for my friend to redirect... I missed one (well actually missed the net, as it was he hardest and most beautiful shot I ever took in my life.) and it ended straight on my friends inner thigh a few inches from his nuts. That was the funniest moment ever and the scariest. Wasnt sure if I had just killed him or not :laugh: he was a good 4 foot off from the net as hes a tall guy.

I felt like Kovalev taking that shot, until I saw where it ended.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just this past winter. I went in alone and toe dragged the puck to fool the goalie and roofed it. I then celebrated like an ass by riding my hockey stick like a horse.

I felt a little bad after since I’m in my forties and the goalie was 9 years old.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Going in on a breakaway after an intermission and forgetting we switched sides, shot on my own goalie - thankfully he stopped it

My Charlie Conway moment, no time on the clock, penalty shot to win the game went with the triple deke and scored - yeah it was Senior Mens Div B Playoff game but I'll leave that part out when I tell the grandchildren

I got to play with many of the retired NHLrs when I lived in Alberta, potted 5 goals playing on a line with Lanny, got punched in the back of the head and slashed across the wrist by Tiger Williams so I cross checked him back (thankfully he kept the gloves on), but funniest was probably a game I played against Theo Fleury when he was attempting his comeback with the Flames. There was a guy on his team who was a bit of an an ankle bender with tunnel vision - we've all played with that guy. After about the 3rd 2 on 1 with this guy and no pass across on the next one Fleury takes off his glove mid stride and puts it on the end of his stick blade and starts waving this hoping for the pass, of course still no pass and the guy shot straight into the goalies chest, we all had a good laugh and good to see a guy who went through some troubled times having some fun again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad