Best One-Two Center Punch

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Probably have to go with Gretzky and Messier, but depending on what a person values I could maybe conceive of cases for Beliveau and Richard or Crosby and Malkin. Not that it matters as it wouldn't answer the thread but I could also do with seeing Apps and Kennedy at least listed as an option. Perhaps Maltsev and Petrov among Soviet tandems.

I say the same thing.

Gretzky - Messier are #1 though.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The WORST one-two center punch among successful (Stanley Cup) teams has to be one of the New Jersey teams. Probably it's:

Gomez
Arnott

They are light years away from HHOFers.

And among all time great team, the 1976-1977 Habs ? No center in the league top 20 scorer that year, both those team had dept, wingers, defense, goaltending, etc... Not really a both of there 1-2 center among the conversation for the league top 10 best centers.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Def Gretzky Messier. 2 all time greats there. When you're done with the Gretzky line, you can't relax as you have the Messier line to contend with.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
And among all time great team, the 1976-1977 Habs ? No center in the league top 20 scorer that year, both those team had dept, wingers, defense, goaltending, etc... Not really a both of there 1-2 center among the conversation for the league top 10 best centers.
Jacques Lemaire? ... Bowman lists him as one of the greatest players of all time. He is a highly respected two-way player. He scored 139 playoff points in 145 playoff games, an important part of EIGHT (8) Stanley Cup championships. In 1976-77 he had 19 playoff points in 14 playoff games, second to only Lafleur.

Doug Risebrough had a career year in points and six game winners, but yeah, he was a defensive center first and foremost for all four Stanley Cup teams of that last Habs dynasty.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Lemaire is a good center and part of what was probably the best defensive team ever and top 5 centers in point production during is short career.

The previous year did they had Peter Mahovlich playing center ?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Interesting that Dave Keon - Red Kelly was on the list.

I would think that Dave Keon - Norm Ullman would make a better choice.

Ullman was a very underrated player IMO.

Keon-Kelly won four Stanley Cups together while Keon-Ullman has nothing to show for their time together. Leafs had abysmal playoff record during their time together. So team accomplisments during their time together greatly favor Keon-Kelly duo over Keon-Ullman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad