Best One-Timer?

Best one-timer?

• Total voters

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Out of the 3, Hull for sure.

Not to be a homer, but as a canucks fan who has seen Elias Pettersson shoot it on the PP, I think eventually he will be in the conversation.

Generates so much power, but he's only build like a twig. If even gets to 190 lbs, watch out.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Stamkos has arguably the nicest 1-timer in the league over the past decade. The only competition is Ovi who scores more 1-timer goals but his shooting percentage would indicate he’s taking that shot over twice as much.

Ovie shoots from a lot farther away than Stamkos on average.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Stamkos doesn't strike me as a netfront guy, really.

There is data on this but nhl.com keeps changing what is available and what isn't. Shot distance is no longer available, but when it was, it showed that Ovechkin's average shot distance was farther out than any other high volume goal scorer. Laine was the only player who was close, except he utterly failed to sustain it.

Stamkos has a lot of one timers in the 10-15 foot range. Ovie shoots more from the top of the circle.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos' one timer is like Ken Griffey Jr.'s swing - its beautiful.

Butt Brett Hull was Barry Bonds and just did it better if not as pretty.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
It's Ovechkin but the poll is between these 3 sooooo...

It's hard to go against Hull here but if Stamkos didn't get injured he'd still be piling up goals from the same circle and his shot is/was insane. People will poo poo Kovalchuk here as his wrister seems to be the patented shot but on the the Thrashers his one T was the best in the league and he can still hammer it home now.

Splitting hairs but I don't think you can pick against Hull but I'd take all 3 to shoot the puck from a one timer and day of the week.
I like the Ovechkin choice.

Early on, he used to score off the rush a lot, either being creative or shooting through a defender. He would score many one timers too, but I believe he picked it up after his goal scoring went down after the early 2010s.
Since then, he perfected his technique. Everyone knows that his shot will be coming on the PP and where's it's gonna come from, but he gets it done a lot of the time.

Reactions: grentthealien

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like Hull here, but probably Ovechkin all time. He's not always as pretty as the others, but I think his ability to get a good one-timer no matter how poor the pass is is, is underrated and better than the others.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I like the Ovechkin choice.

Early on, he used to score off the rush a lot, either being creative or shooting through a defender. He would score many one timers too, but I believe he picked it up after his goal scoring went down after the early 2010s.
Since then, he perfected his technique. Everyone knows that his shot will be coming on the PP and where's it's gonna come from, but he gets it done a lot of the time.
2014 is when you see the heat maps start to favour the left circle. Prior to that he was as dynamic as there's ever been at putting it in the net.

Mar 26, 2010
How about OV. I know he is not in this poll, but he has an absolute bullet.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Hard to compare guys from different eras.

I'll say this, Stamkos in his prime was unbelievable with his accuracy. Seemed he could just pick his points and hit them so consistently. The highlight videos are nice but what you don't see in those is how rarely the shots missed the mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->