Best on best tournaments

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Better idea is to establish World Cup of clubs/ junior clubs than World Cup of national teams.

I know that MHL (junior league based in Russia) wants to create such a tournament but CHL does not want to participate, to be correct CHL does not want to send champion. Sad behaviour

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
can you explain me what it means?

The Olympics teams have the best players and are A teams. The team made up of the next best players not on that team would be the B team, and so on. At the world championships you see things like the American E team this year.

pouskin74*

The Olympics teams have the best players and are A teams. The team made up of the next best players not on that team would be the B team, and so on. At the world championships you see things like the American E team this year.

ok. then lets take a look little bit back.
Team Canada for example
2008-Burns,Green,Keith,Hamhuis,Doan,Spezza,Heatley,St.Louis,Staal,Toews,Getzlaf,Doan
2009-Hamhuis,Weber,Heatley,St.Louis,Spezza,Stamkos
2010-Burns,Perry,Stamkos,Tavares,Duchene

these players arent B level players or even worse C or D.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Team Canada for example
2008-Burns,Green,Keith,Hamhuis,Doan,Spezza,Heatley,St.Louis,Staal,Toews,Getzlaf,Doan

Except that they are. Look at last year, when Canada's A team was at the Olympics. One guy from that team played at the world championships. Canada may have more great players than can fit on one team, but there can still only be one A team.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Team Canada for example

No wonder Team Canada has not won the WC in three years, they are only sending a six player team.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Except that they are. Look at last year, when Canada's A team was at the Olympics. One guy from that team played at the world championships. Canada may have more great players than can fit on one team, but there can still only be one A team.

Exactly. All the Russian fans thought they got revenge when they beat us last year in the Quarters when they had FOURTEEN olympians on their team compared to our ONE. The WCs are a joke of a tournament in terms of actually determining which countries produce the best players.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I loved the World Cup. Short 8 team tournament best players against best players.

Canada, USA, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Finland have enough NHL players to fill a whole team. Then Slovakia and someone.

The 2004 tournament was one of the best tournaments I've seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_World_Cup_of_Hockey

Games were played in Montreal, Toronto, St. Paul, Helsinki, Stockholm, Cologne and Prague

Included players like Mario Lemieux, Sakic, Niedermayer, Jagr, Selänne, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Chara, Sundin, Forsberg, Lidström, Hull, Tkachuk, Modano, Chelios...

Classiest tournament ever.

Last edited:

Fulcrum

Exactly. All the Russian fans thought they got revenge when they beat us last year in the Quarters when they had FOURTEEN olympians on their team compared to our ONE. The WCs are a joke of a tournament in terms of actually determining which countries produce the best players.

Where? When? Who said that? Why would you make something up like that? Do you REALLY think Russian fans are like that?

I can ASSURE you that not a SINGLE Russian fan thought that they got Revenge after the win! That's just an ignorant statement...

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Where? When? Who said that? Why would you make something up like that? Do you REALLY think Russian fans are like that?

I can ASSURE you that not a SINGLE Russian fan thought that they got Revenge after the win! That's just an ignorant statement...

Go read the comments on the YouTube highlights of that game. ;)

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
I loved the World Cup. Short 8 team tournament best players against best players.

Canada, USA, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Finland have enough NHL players to fill a whole team. Then Slovakia and someone.

Games were played in Montreal, Toronto, St. Paul, Helsinki, Stockholm, Cologne and Prague

Included players like Mario Lemieux, Sakic, Niedermayer, Jagr, Selänne, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Chara, Sundin, Forsberg, Lidström, Hull, Tkachuk, Modano, Chelios...

I wonder why you didn't choose to include all the hightlights... :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, it was an awesome tournament in every aspect outside of the design of the cup itself. Other than the 2006 and 2010 Olympics, this was the last best on best tournament.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Go read the comments on the YouTube highlights of that game. ;)

Unless you can read Russian and the comments of Russian fans (not English comments on youtube that any North America can write) I don't think you have evidence to stand on.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Unless you can read Russian and the comments of Russian fans (not English comments on youtube that any North America can write) I don't think you have evidence to stand on.

So Russian people can't speak English? Thanks for informing me of this amazing new information. :sarcasm:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
So Russian people can't speak English? Thanks for informing me of this amazing new information. :sarcasm:

I'm saying it's likely not a true representation of the sentiments in Russia.
When you said "All the Russian fans", a little more evidence is needed that a bunch of English youtube comments.

Fulcrum

Wow! You are right! all the Russian fans DO think that they got revenge by beating Canada. The Youtube comments opened my eyes and convinced me!

Someguy- you are now a credible source of tournament's and supporters' analysis to me and thank you for your contribution. I am looking forward to your future opinions.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

After Vancouver, that was one of the most frustrating/worst Team Finland that played for a medal that I've seen. Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne were so banged up it was painful to watch. We really had only ONE good game in the entire tournament, the semifinal. Plus the whole Niinimaa debacle... The quality of hockey overall in that tournament paled in comparison to Turin '06 or Vancouver. Players were so banged up/off their form/straight from the golf course, I'd rather not see best-on-best hockey tournament held in September EVER again. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad