Best Olesz comparision so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Olesz reminds me of Bobby Holik with 65 points a year or so. I was upset the Rangers didnt get him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he was ranked pretty high on the rangers draft list and then suddenly fell out of the top 5 at the last moment for some reason...according to the insider whispers at least

kinda makes you wonder...but one team deciding they didn't like him doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot

i liked him a lot but i'm ok with montoya if he pans out well...and olesz's apparenty injury history is a bit of a concern...the news of that other hit before the WJC's kinda makes phaneuf's hit and consequences more scary

still a solid pick for florida though

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
olesz stats

thought this might be of interest here ...

olesz has 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 pts and -1 in 17 games played this year.

here's the link to sparta praha's team stats:

http://www.hokej.cz/?view=stats_vyh...zinec=&junior=&page=&onpage=&razeni=BODY,&idk[]=8

[i can just see the next post ... "if olesz can't put up vyborny numbers, he sucks"]

not to disrespect anybody, but debates like these don't hold a lot of currency with me. outside one world juniors performance, i doubt anyone has seen olesz play. not to discourage discussion, but i'll wait until after this year's world juniors before i start making statements on olesz's potential.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
George Bachul said:
After the 20 replays I saw I am convinced that at the time of the hit the elbow was neatly tucked in and Phaneuf's arm only came away from his body as Olesz was falling to the ice.

I know my gif pic doesn't show the entire hit but it does show the impact and his elbow is in just like u said

<----- for those who disagree, look

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
chriss_co said:
I know my gif pic doesn't show the entire hit but it does show the impact and his elbow is in just like u said

<----- for those who disagree, look
I wouldn't say that his elbow is tucked in, but it certainly is not anywhere the head region.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I dont know about Renberg in his prime..yeah he had a coupoel really good season playing wiht Lindros and Leclair who were in the primes aswell. I think those 2 made Renberg look alot better than he is. Renberg has had the luxery of playing wiht alot of elite talent in the NHL even recently. I dont think what he was back then was alll that great, really good playing with the Legen of Doom line but other than that mediocre.

CoolburnIsGone

I can't help but Olesz reminds me too much of Patrik Stefan with only a little more upside. When I saw him at the prospect camp this past summer, he looked lost just doing simple drills. Maybe it was the language barrier but he still didn't look all that underrated to me...possibly a little overrated. Speaking to director of scouting Scott Luce, the Panthers seemed to have him high on a list of 5 players (couldn't get who the others were) at the draft. I still would've gone with Picard on offense or Thelen on defense if I were drafting 7th with those players available.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I dont know about Renberg in his prime..yeah he had a coupoel really good season playing wiht Lindros and Leclair who were in the primes aswell. I think those 2 made Renberg look alot better than he is. Renberg has had the luxery of playing wiht alot of elite talent in the NHL even recently. I dont think what he was back then was alll that great, really good playing with the Legen of Doom line but other than that mediocre.

During Renberg's rookie year LeClair was not on the team. Yes, Renberg did play with Lindros, but he still put up 82 points as an NHL rookie.

LeClair joined during his 2nd and least big season. LeClair vaunted that line into the best NHL line of the decade, but IMO it was Lindros and Renberg that helped make LeClair.

LeClair never put up big points until he started playing with Lindros and Renberg.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
RichPanther said:
I can't help but Olesz reminds me too much of Patrik Stefan with only a little more upside. When I saw him at the prospect camp this past summer, he looked lost just doing simple drills. Maybe it was the language barrier but he still didn't look all that underrated to me...possibly a little overrated. Speaking to director of scouting Scott Luce, the Panthers seemed to have him high on a list of 5 players (couldn't get who the others were) at the draft. I still would've gone with Picard on offense or Thelen on defense if I were drafting 7th with those players available.

Not really, Olesz play an more in you face style than Stefan whom I always seen as an soft player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seeing Olesz compared to guys like Renberg (6'2" 220) and Holik (6'3" 230) is a little odd considering he's listed right now at 6'0" 191 lbs. He'll probably add a bit of weight, but he'll likely top out at 200 lbs at best and will never have the sort of physical attributes a guy like Renberg had.

To me he looks like a bit of a sketchy top-10 pick right now. I've only seen him once, but his skating looked pretty average. 2 goals in 52 games over the last two years doesn't say a ton for his finishing skills, and two very serious concussions before age 20 is not a good sign. That's a lot of question marks. I'm very interested in seeing him at this year's WJC to get a better read ...

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
MS said:
Seeing Olesz compared to guys like Renberg (6'2" 220) and Holik (6'3" 230) is a little odd considering he's listed right now at 6'0" 191 lbs. He'll probably add a bit of weight, but he'll likely top out at 200 lbs at best and will never have the sort of physical attributes a guy like Renberg had.

To me he looks like a bit of a sketchy top-10 pick right now. I've only seen him once, but his skating looked pretty average. 2 goals in 52 games over the last two years doesn't say a ton for his finishing skills, and two very serious concussions before age 20 is not a good sign. That's a lot of question marks. I'm very interested in seeing him at this year's WJC to get a better read ...

Hmm Olé is 6-1 or 6-2. He can grow to 200-220 (I see him listed as 205 in HF) which is very good as it is not impossible for an 19 years old to gain weight. And how u play physical depend on the mind. A guy like Victor Kozlov play an very soft game for an 6-5, 225 pounds player meanwhile an guy like Jordin Tootoo at 5-9, 195 pound play an heck of an physical game.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Roberto Luongo said:
Hmm Olé is 6-1 or 6-2. He can grow to 200-220 (I see him listed as 205 in HF) which is very good as it is not impossible for an 19 years old to gain weight. And how u play physical depend on the mind. A guy like Victor Kozlov play an very soft game for an 6-5, 225 pounds player meanwhile an guy like Jordin Tootoo at 5-9, 195 pound play an heck of an physical game.

Thank You! Kozlov/Tootoo is the comparison I always like to use to compare physical play. Guys like Kozlov and Biron waste their massive sizes to the point where it is downright depressing.

CoolburnIsGone

Roberto Luongo said:
Not really, Olesz play an more in you face style than Stefan whom I always seen as an soft player.
No offense but how many times have you seen the kid yourself to come up with that he plays a more in your face style than Stefan?? I think you can count on one hand missing 3 fingers how many times almost EVERYONE here has seen him play. And Stefan wasn't a soft player until he had concussion issues himself. It sounds like Olesz is a little hesitant now too with the physical play. What's even worse is that one of his strengths (faceoffs) would be wasted if you moved him to the wing like everyone has suggested. And I agree with Sharkie that Michalek has more offensive potential than Olesz. So what does that lead you to believe...he'll be lucky to be a 2nd line player and wouldn't compare favorably to Renberg in his prime. There was a similar debate on the FL board and Dvorak was brought up. Now that seems like the most probable comparison for Olesz to date.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Mr.Hunter74 said:

Leclair was another man, who was the Lindros product, along with Renberg, Lindros was the Legion of Doom, he was one of the best playmakers in the league when he was healthy, and he could pot in goals.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Roberto Luongo said:
Really? then how come guy like Lindros got "Stevensssss" then??

Ignore him ;) Anyways, no one can survive a Stevens hit. I don't even think Forsberg can take one :eek:

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Russian_fanatic said:
Ignore him ;) Anyways, no one can survive a Stevens hit. I don't even think Forsberg can take one :eek:

Forsberg couldn't take one because Stevens wouldn't even be able to touch Peter. Anyway, it would probably be Forsberg laying out Stevens before anything else.

theredmile said:
Olesz=Radek Bonk

I would be happy with that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Really? then how come guy like Lindros got "Stevensssss" then??

considering i wasn't comparing holik (or olesz) to lindros...that makes no sense in relation to the discussion

my point, if there really was one, is that you don't see a guy like holik getting demolished by other players very often if ever...it's somehow part of his style of game. if olesz is already getting splattered all over, i just can't view him as being similar to holik in a lot of ways

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Levitate said:
considering i wasn't comparing holik (or olesz) to lindros...that makes no sense in relation to the discussion

my point, if there really was one, is that you don't see a guy like holik getting demolished by other players very often if ever...it's somehow part of his style of game. if olesz is already getting splattered all over, i just can'<a href="t%20view" onmouseover="window.status='<a href="t%20view" onmouseover="window.status='t view'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">t view</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">t view</a> him as being similar to holik in a lot of ways

No, you said " comparing him to holik...well guys like holik don't get "phanuefed" ". You said guys like Holik dont get Phanuefed. Lindros was an more stronger and bigger player than Holik, still he got layed off by Stevens.

X-SHARKIE

Why is Olesz a worse player now because he got hit by a train?

I don't see Olesz being as mean and nasty as a Holik, but he does have a physical edge to his game. Now I haven't seen him since the Phaneuf hit but I haven't heard a thing about him being shy or timid? This guy is one of the smartest players i've seen at this age... His WJC's reminded me of Marcel Goc's years ago, this guy well be one solid pro. Sure he doesn't shoot much or hit as often as he could, but he's incredibally smart and has elite awareness. Radek Bonk is a very good comparison IMO.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
RichPanther said:
No offense but how many times have you seen the kid yourself to come up with that he plays a more in your face style than Stefan?? I think you can count on one hand missing 3 fingers how many times almost EVERYONE here has seen him play. And Stefan wasn't a soft player until he had concussion issues himself. It sounds like Olesz is a little hesitant now too with the physical play. What's even worse is that one of his strengths (faceoffs) would be wasted if you moved him to the wing like everyone has suggested. And I agree with Sharkie that Michalek has more offensive potential than Olesz. So what does that lead you to believe...he'll be lucky to be a 2nd line player and wouldn't compare favorably to Renberg in his prime. There was a similar debate on the FL board and Dvorak was brought up. Now that seems like the most probable comparison for Olesz to date.

Yes and u get u summuary of Olé by watching him at the summer camp. Well player can get a bad weeks and young prospect like Olé usually also develop. So the only thing I can agree with you is that we disagree regarding Olé potential and future.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
just cuz lindros was big and played physical like holik doesn't mean their styles were really similar...they used it a little differently i'd say i guess

like...holik is a more straight away player for the most part and when he takes the puck up ice, he just goes straight up ice. lindros got in trouble for looking down and dinking around trying to beat everyone when stevens killed him. difference in how they carry the puck i guess i'd say...that's the angle i'm going for. holik just goes about his business straight away and bulls over people who get in his way...lindros could do that but like i said, got in trouble at times getting cute. olesz seems to have run into similar problems...though it's probably not fair to compare him to lindros either

this is getting convoluted

AG9NK35DT8*

Roberto Luongo said:
Underrated him? Im very, very, very hight on this kid. Renberg was in his prime as someone mentioned it earlier an outstanding player. He was very complete, too bad his style of play lead to many injuries and the end of a very good player. I thought he was a better player than his linemate LeClair back then, and if Renberg has not suffered those concusion he suffered I think he would have turn out to be a better player than LeClair. So if Olesz can turn out to be what Renberg was in his prime I would be extremly happy. Remember all those great rookies Flyers had? well Renberg is the best of them, point wise.
why dont u relax, you are getting so jumpy, why? Why are u very very high on him cause he is a panther but anyway.

why dont u go back and read the post again x-sharkie said" he thinks he is one of the most underrated prospects" which to 99% of people is a compliment to the guy,besides you, i guess.l i thiink you just dont understand the term right, when you do then reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad