Best Olesz comparision so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Guys a player that I start to think of lately (thx to a friend) that Olesz play alike is Mikael Renberg in his prime. Think about it, Renberg in his prime was very good along the boards, big, strong, not shy to go to the net, but not overly physically. Sound defensively, good shot and good puckhandling, decent playmaker.

People that have seen Olesz play and Renberg in his prime, what do you think?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have heard from people that have seen him play recently that he seems to shy away from physical contact since Phaneuf knocked him cold.

Would someone confirm that?

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
George Bachul said:
I have heard from people that have seen him play recently that he seems to shy away from physical contact since Phaneuf knocked him cold.

I like the sound of that! :D

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Renberg in his prime was an outstanding player.

Agreed, problem was his prime only lasted 2 years.

He scored 82 points as a rookie. Then followed it up with 57 points in 47 games during the lockout season. That was the original "Legion of Doom" season, where that line dominated the NHL.

Renberg had abdominal surgery and when he came back he lost a step & a half.

He was never the same player.

Pre-abdominal injury Renberg was very fast. At least once a game he'd come flying down the right wing and beat a defenseman to the outside, and then take the puck right to the net.

This caused defenseman to back off and givehim more room, which allowed him to get off his above-average wrist shot.

After the injury he was left with just average NHL speed, and that was the end of his days as an elite NHL player.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I still think it was a dirty hit and his elbow came up.
After the 20 replays I saw I am convinced that at the time of the hit the elbow was neatly tucked in and Phaneuf's arm only came away from his body as Olesz was falling to the ice.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Mabey, but tucked in or not, it looked like the Elbow was what knocked the sense out of Olesz.

It's the hard outer shell on the shoulder pad that made the difference between good hard hit or a concussion (watch Don Cherry a little ;)).

p.s. Olsez reminds me more of a young Elias more than anybody but he's got a long way to go.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
X-SHARKIE said:
Olesz is one of the most underated prospects IMO.

BTW how is he doing in the Czech elite league so far?

Underrated him? Im very, very, very hight on this kid. Renberg was in his prime as someone mentioned it earlier an outstanding player. He was very complete, too bad his style of play lead to many injuries and the end of a very good player. I thought he was a better player than his linemate LeClair back then, and if Renberg has not suffered those concusion he suffered I think he would have turn out to be a better player than LeClair. So if Olesz can turn out to be what Renberg was in his prime I would be extremly happy. Remember all those great rookies Flyers had? well Renberg is the best of them, point wise.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
West said:
It's the hard outer shell on the shoulder pad that made the difference between good hard hit or a concussion (watch Don Cherry a little ;)).

p.s. Olsez reminds me more of a young Elias more than anybody but he's got a long way to go.

Really? Hmm have u seen both of them play alot? Im not being sarcasm or anything, I just want to know :)

X-SHARKIE

Roberto Luongo said:
Underrated him? Im very, very, very hight on this kid. Renberg was in his prime as someone mentioned it earlier an outstanding player. He was very complete, too bad his style of play lead to many injuries and the end of a very good player. I thought he was a better player than his linemate LeClair back then, and if Renberg has not suffered those concusion he suffered I think he would have turn out to be a better player than LeClair. So if Olesz can turn out to be what Renberg was in his prime I would be extremly happy. Remember all those great rookies Flyers had? well Renberg is the best of them, point wise.

I was refering in General....This guys offensive upside is underated.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Which prospect isn't under rated!!

X-SHARKIE said:
Olesz is one of the most underated prospects IMO.

BTW how is he doing in the Czech elite league so far?

every time someone asks opinion on some prospect many people will come and just say he's under rated, this isn't even funny anymore. just to check my theory just ask about any first rounder from last year, and you'll see many posters coming and posting that this prospect is under rated.

X-SHARKIE

Habs4ever said:
every time someone asks opinion on some prospect many people will come and just say he's under rated, this isn't even funny anymore. just to check my theory just ask about any first rounder from last year, and you'll see many posters coming and posting that this prospect is under rated.

He is underated though because he is a better prospect IMO than Blake Wheeler for sure, Andrew Ladd, and mabey Montoya, and all I heard about at the draft was if this guy could score or not ect.

I'm just saying this guy has alot of skill. I don't by the talk of him having very limited offensive upside because he only potted one goal in the Czech Elite league, wich is one of the most defensive & Difficult leagues out there.

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
He is underated though because he is a better prospect IMO than Blake Wheeler for sure, Andrew Ladd, and mabey Montoya, and all I heard about at the draft was if this guy could score or not ect.

I'm just saying this guy has alot of skill. I don't by the talk of him having very limited offensive upside because he only potted one goal in the Czech Elite league, wich is one of the most defensive & Difficult leagues out there.
If he's taken in the top 10, he's not underrated. Just because a couple NHL organizations thought it was wiser to take Wheeler and Ladd doesn't make Olesz underrated.

leafaholix*

Roberto Luongo said:
So all in all Olesz is an more offensive version of Michalek?
No, I'd say Michalek is easily more gifted offensively than Olesz. I'd say your main concern with his game should be offensive potential, otherwise he's a good two way forward and has the size.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Mabey, but tucked in or not, it looked like the Elbow was what knocked the sense out of Olesz.
This unbiased observer thinks the hit was clean, but certainly not sportsman like at a point in the game where Canada had pretty much put the Czechs away.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
Really? Hmm have u seen both of them play alot? Im not being sarcasm or anything, I just want to know :)

Just the WJC for Olsez but I used to watch a fair bit of NJ games a few years ago, but no it's not like I'm in the cze or anthing it's just my 2 cents.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
George Bachul said:

Also there was a hit on Olesz by Shafigulin on 4 nations in Russia before WJC, Olesz was knocked out for a few minutes and eventually prematurely left the rink and didn't finish the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->