best off dmen in the draft - 05

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
off the top of my head: Johnson, Lee, Niskanen and Kris Russell in no particular order

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Luc Bourdon has a pretty nice offensive ceiling, but there are some dandys that were drafted later on (don't remember name for name).

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
RDriesen16 said:
who were the top off dmen in this past draft? i know johnson and staal were 1 and 2, but staal is more of a def dman.

Bourdon, and Staal where 2a, and 2b.

Bourdon does own more potential, and was the best Canadian defenseman in the u18's.

dumpsathernow*

"off the top of my head: Johnson, Lee, Niskanen and Kris Russell in no particular order"

:biglaugh:

Large_Farva*

Russian_fanatic said:
Bourdon, and Staal where 2a, and 2b.

Bourdon does own more potential, and was the best Canadian defenseman in the u18's.

I bet you weren't saying that a few weeks ago.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Vyacheslav Buravchikov could be one of the top offensive dmen to come out of the draft. Definitely, one of the better ones coming into it.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Patty Ice XXX said:
Vyacheslav Buravchikov could be one of the top offensive dmen to come out of the draft. Definitely, one of the better ones coming into it.

If we can get him across the pond, he could be a real steal for a 6th round pick.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Large_Farva said:
I bet you weren't saying that a few weeks ago.

No, I bet he wasn't, but that doesn't change the fact that he is right. Luc Bourdon did put up very respectable numbers for an 18 yr old defenceman playing in one of the most anemic offences in the entire CHL.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I just don't see if from Bourdon. He's a pretty slow thinker out there..I still stick with my comparison of Dan McGillis.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
TJ Fast (LA/Denver) is a mid-rounder to keep your eyes on. He'll have Skinner and Carle to learn from this season.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Legionnaire said:
I just don't see if from Bourdon. He's a pretty slow thinker out there..I still stick with my comparison of Dan McGillis.

Maybe. But the fact remains that he produced pretty okay numbers. He is overall better (projection wise) than McGillis, and has the tools to become an accompanying player on a top D pairing down the road.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Matt MacInnis said:
Maybe. But the fact remains that he produced pretty okay numbers. He is overall better (projection wise) than McGillis, and has the tools to become an accompanying player on a top D pairing down the road.

Like you said, we'll have to see. I see the accompanying part more with Staal than Bourdon. I think Luc will ultimately have a hard time adjusting to what role he should play. Staal is smarter, no doubt, IMO, and he should a have an easier time adjusting into his role.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Both guys are easy to fall in love with for different reasons. Staal has the bloodlines factor which NHL teams love. Bourdon has the work ethic/commitment to his team that makes his "want" factor very high to many scouts. Of course, they're 18 yr old defencemen, so a great deal is going to change before they ever even play a professional game.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Matt MacInnis said:
Both guys are easy to fall in love with for different reasons. Staal has the bloodlines factor which NHL teams love. Bourdon has the work ethic/commitment to his team that makes his "want" factor very high to many scouts. Of course, they're 18 yr old defencemen, so a great deal is going to change before they ever even play a professional game.

Okay, I know you need to elaborate a bit more, but to imply that Staal only has "bloodlines" is kind of silly. I know at what you are getting, but still....

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Legionnaire said:
Okay, I know you need to elaborate a bit more, but to imply that Staal only has "bloodlines" is kind of silly. I know at what you are getting, but still....

Sorry, of course I don't mean to infer Staal only was rated highly because of his name. But it is very late so I'll make it brief. Every player gets put into a certain bracket by teams based on their evaluations of the player. But the players in question (in general) need to have something which disinguishes them from the others and makes them THE guy for that pick. Their abilities get them to a certain spot and their "it" factor keeps them there. For Staal, that added bonus was his name. For Bourdon, who had to fight the fact that he's a QMJHL defenceman, it was most likely his work ethic and most likely his U18 play. That said, those factors played bigger roles for Bourdon than they did for Staal.

There was a very low chance of Marc Staal falling more than a few places on draft day. That couldn't definitively be said for "Mark Stall." I think that the past few years have really shown that bloodlines do indeed play a major factor in where a player can be selected. I don't think Staal was "reached for" by any means because of his name, but it guaranteed him a minimal slide, I think.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I knew what you meant. I was just giving you a hard time :)

You do bring up a good point about the "Q" Dmen. Yet, my point remains, I don't think that Bourdon has enough natural talent(not saying at all that Staal does) to bring any sort of "number 2" game to the NHL.

Anyhow, I feel like I'm repeating myself about Bourdon, so like you said, we'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->