Best of the Rest Series: Doug Weight

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Very enjoyable, thanks.

Always admired Doug Weight. Thought he was one of the best leader the Oilers have ever had. This was a guy that had a bad, bad, team around him and actually elevated everyone's play and dragged this team into the playoffs.

Never complained, always faced the media and loved the city. I know I may be in the minority, but I hope his number is retired at some point. While he never won a championship with the team, I thought he accomplished more with the support cast he had than what other "greater" Oiler's would have accomplished with those same teammates.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Very enjoyable, thanks.

Always admired Doug Weight. Thought he was one of the best leader the Oilers have ever had. This was a guy that had a bad, bad, team around him and actually elevated everyone's play and dragged this team into the playoffs.

Never complained, always faced the media and loved the city. I know I may be in the minority, but I hope his number is retired at some point. While he never won a championship with the team, I thought he accomplished more with the support cast he had than what other "greater" Oiler's would have accomplished with those same teammates.

I dont read sponsor articles but echo sentiments about Doug Weight.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I dont read sponsor articles but echo sentiments about Doug Weight.

I've never found one that didn't just echo thoughts I could have read on this board or else where. This is the kind of sponsored post I can get behind.

Thanks for sharing.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
I met Doug Weight on a couple occasions at Barry T's(does that place even exist anymore). He was extremely friendly. He bought me and my boys a few drinks both times and actually hug out and shot the **** with us. Outside the 80's he was by far the best Oiler hands down. Awesome guy period.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
I met Doug Weight on a couple occasions at Barry T's(does that place even exist anymore). He was extremely friendly. He bought me and my boys a few drinks both times and actually hug out and shot the **** with us. Outside the 80's he was by far the best Oiler hands down. Awesome guy period.

Shouldn't he have been spending his time working out? :sarcasm:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Shouldn't he have been spending his time working out? :sarcasm:

Believe me when i say that there is zero doubt he was there to watch others. Him and his wife were always tight. She is as fantastic and classy a lady as he is a fantastic and classy man.

Big mistake not picking him up when he was available january 06...or in the summer 05 when we grabbed pronger.

Mind you rem murray i thought did a terrific job in the playoffs and i felt he was due for a goal the last two games of the scf. But rem would have been just as good on dougs wing.
It always made me mad that we didnt check into his availability on the last year of his contract when we grabbed prongs. Prongs was coming off an injury and there was alot of doubt hed be the same player...espedially with the new rules. Doug weight in the summer was on the block already as well but had a good playoff performance in 04.

My man crushes in life, paul coffey, doug weight and bruce campbell (Ash...housewares), and mario lemieux for giving me gold in 2002.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Loved Dougie Weight.

Been saying for years that the Oilers need to honour this guys career somehow...doesnt have to be a # retirement...maybe introduce an "Once an Oiler, Always an Oilers" section in the rafters of the new rink (like what the Flames did with "Forever a Flame")

PLayers to be honoured - IMO:
Tikkanen
Lowe
MacT
Weight
Smyth
Jason Smith

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Believe me when i say that there is zero doubt he was there to watch others. Him and his wife were always tight. She is as fantastic and classy a lady as he is a fantastic and classy man.

Big mistake not picking him up when he was available january 06...or in the summer 05 when we grabbed pronger.

Mind you rem murray i thought did a terrific job in the playoffs and i felt he was due for a goal the last two games of the scf. But rem would have been just as good on dougs wing.
It always made me mad that we didnt check into his availability on the last year of his contract when we grabbed prongs. Prongs was coming off an injury and there was alot of doubt hed be the same player...espedially with the new rules. Doug weight in the summer was on the block already as well but had a good playoff performance in 04.

My man crushes in life, paul coffey, doug weight and bruce campbell (Ash...housewares), and mario lemieux for giving me gold in 2002.
Rem Murray was a great Oiler the first time around, he was a shadow of his former self during the playoffs. I don't want to say any more about a player that I really like.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I saw DW in the Roxy in Vcr and I was surprised how long he spent hanging out with us and chatting. I gave him a few easy segue-ways to go hang with his buds because I didn't want to be a pest but he just kept talking to us.

Other players were surrounding themsleves with women (Alex Mogilny had one on each knee lol) but DW was drinking a pint and chilling.

Classy guy, but gave up the copper and blue when he was already a multi-millionaire so, whatever. He's not really an Oiler alum in my books now, I consider him a Blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad